Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83603 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2013, 18:37:08 pm »
Oh (((hugs))), Becky, you must be so tired.  That sounds much like my experience with Claire and 2yr molars.  I bet I was in her room at least 4 or 5 nights a week through that whole process.  And poor Martha has had the cough and now plugged ears too. :( I hope those darn teeth come through quick for you.  It doesn't sound like there's much else you can do.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2013, 13:10:43 pm »
thanks katie, the hugs are appreciated :)
Last night she slept through but only 10.45 and only had a 1.10 nap so she is getting only fractionally more than my 4.5 year old. Big sigh.
I do think teeth are a big issue but she was pretty good with her first molars. I guess she could be teething a few as that is her pattern. I feel like we will never sort her out atm :(

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2013, 13:11:26 pm »
oh...and it really helps to know claire did this too - just to know that it could be down to teeth helps. If there is a reason I can cope better..

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2013, 14:17:10 pm »
Ugg I wrote out a long detailed account of whats been going on with Alyssa (almost 17 months) but of course it got deleated. So to rewrite but quick is : last 6/8 night taking 1-3 hrs to fall asleep, naps are 1.5hrs max. Waking up at 5-6am. give meds 30 mins before bed. I need help!!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2013, 14:31:41 pm »
Hugs Lily. Our little monsters are the exact same age. I was just thinking to myself last night (at 1am), surely this can't be the 18 month sleep regression already?!

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2013, 18:56:34 pm »
refusing to nap now, had pain meds, full, already pooped, in bed on time and NADA, GRRRRRRR

Offline B J

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2013, 17:51:38 pm »
Hello!  I've come to join in on the fun!  Anyone else experience the 18 month regression starting early?  I think it started for us at 16.5 months.  DS2 just turned 17 months and it's gotten worse.  Now we have total nap refusal.

It first started with WD at BT taking longer.  He used to be so easy to put to sleep.  Now at Bt he sometimes wants to leave his room, so we have to go downstairs for a bit and then come back up.  Now he's refusing his nap also.  MIL is watching him so I told her to drive around and try and AP a nap.  They've been gone over an hour...I'm scared that means he's still not asleep!

What do you do when they totally refuse the nap?  This happend the other day and I tried to put him down again later but he still refused.  Then I tried early BT, he was asleep at 4:20 pm but only slept 40 min and was up again at 5pm.  OT for sure.  Would not go back down until 7pm.  Was he just treating that as a late nap?  Night was ok though we made it to 6 am the next day. 

I am so scared of nap time now.  If we're 2 weeks into this...it can't be much longer right...????!!!

Offline katie80

« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:28 am »
(((Hugs))) BJ!  I hope it doesn't last too long for you.  My DS has never refused a nap, but when my DD did, I always took her out for a drive.  If he's fighting both nap and BT, do you think his routine needs a tweak at all?

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2013, 21:59:07 pm »
Hi all,
Hope everyone that was suffering along with us is through the worst of it now!!
BJ - hopefully it will be short lived, but I found there were so many factors going on (teeth, developmental etc) that it took a wee while longer than 2 weeks to settle back down. Hang in there on the naps, ours went a bit screwy for a while - either diffculty settling or short naps, but I'm happy to say she is back to normal and sleeping 2hrs or more if I let her in the day...

We're now just back to dealing with the normal battles of teeth / colds etc... :) Odd wake up here and there but nothing major (I say clearly daring something to happen tonight when i am due to be on a train at ridiculous o'clock in the morning for a client meeting.)

Rach. x

Offline katie80

« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2013, 03:25:23 am »
Hey Rach... look at sweet Sophia, she's so grown up! :)

We're struggling with consistency here.  Naps range from 1hr10min-2hr+. I don't know if it's teeth or because he was ill last weekend.  I might have to post if things don't settle down a bit, because I think I'm having a hard time seeing what's going on. :-\

Offline B J

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2013, 16:11:59 pm »
Things are a bit up and down here.  I do think some of it is developmental and he has one molar that is only half out, but teething has never caused him trouble with falling asleep before.  I've been wondering if it's routine, but his A times are already long.  We're doing set nap at 12:00/12:30 and BT is 7:00/7:30.  Wake ups have varied a lot - anywhere from 5:15 - 6:30 am.  On the days he's refused a nap he should have been tired enough for one and when he's OT, he has no problem falling asleep, but will short nap.  Sometimes it seems like he is tired, but he just doesn't want to shut down, and miss out. 

The problem with car naps is that I can't transfer him to the crib.  He'll wake up as soon as you put him in and it's game over.  So if he falls asleep in the car, you have to sit in the car while he sleeps.  And car naps are only 1 hour 5/10 min but it's better than no nap at all!

I had read that the regression lasted a few weeks for some, but months for others!  I really hope it doesn't last that long. 

DS2 started dropping to 1 nap just before 10 months.  I wonder if there's any correlation with dropping the nap early and starting the regression early?  And does this mean he may start the 1-0 early?  GULP, he may lose the nap before his older brother, LOL.    Just thinking out loud...The analytical side of me wants to know if X happens, will Y happen?

Offline lady5280

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2013, 19:44:53 pm »
I'm just going to jump in here as I have limited time before my toddler inevitably wakes up from his nap waaaaaay too early. We are in the throes of this regression, and if his previous regressions are any indication of how long this one will last, we are in for a long journey! Not only is LO not napping past 45 minutes most days (unless I nurse him back down), but he's waking up around 5 in the morning, give or take. This makes for a very tired boy. Not to mention he's cutting his canines and fighting ANOTHER cold. I'm not sure if I'm looking for suggestions or just venting at this point. I sometimes just feel like it's a phase we'll have to muddle through...

*sigh*

Offline katie80

« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2013, 18:29:38 pm »
The analytical side of me wants to know if X happens, will Y happen?
Oh, if only babies were as logical as we are! ;)  Looks like your routine is pretty appropriate, BJ, you might just have to ride it out.  Molars are tough teeth... have you tried meds before nap and/or BT?

(((Hugs))) lady, canines can be really bad too.  Hope the regression is not as long as you think.  I'm totally jealous of your avatar... look at those lovely flowers!!! :)  We're still stuck under 2ft of snow in ND. ::)

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2013, 18:39:37 pm »
hi there! Joining in here, dd is 17 mths and am wondering if we're in the regression or if it's just general ot or teeth? We have shorter naps atm, from 20min (at daycare) -1.5h (at home) and it's been nearly 3 weeks since a 2hr nap. Nights are usually 10.5hrsish or shorter. Sleep in 24 hasn't even been 12hrs most days for a while. For last 2 nights had nw at 4am, 3:20am where i had to apop bf to settle. Bt is about 6pm. Taking average 30min to fall asleep at bt. Wu is 5am-ish regardless of bt, and has been since january when dd stopped nw, but sttn. So if bt is 7pm dd doesn't get enough ns and still has ew anyway. We have set nap 11:30am.
So just wondering if this is regression time or if that's still to come?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2013, 10:23:31 am »
Regression can start at 17 months for sure, but I don't think it's possible to 'pick apart' what is regression, what is teething, etc. It all sort of feeds in together to make one big mess  :P ;)