Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83840 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2013, 06:43:30 am »
Agree with Naomi, sticking to our set times helped here too, at least to give me a vague sense of control!  The one thing we did change in the routine around this time was to nudge BT gradually 30 mins or so later. Sometimes she napped well and sometimes not, sometimes she settled at BT and sometimes not so well. Still happens now to an extent ::) but keep reminding yourself that it will pass.....eventually!

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2013, 11:45:05 am »
I think some of our problem lies in the timings. Because we were going between 2 an 1 nap for a while and at the point of moving fully to one nap, all this crazy started, we've not had a set routine to fall back on so we've had to do a lot of trial and error to find something that works. And when it doesn't I never know if its regression or timing that's the problem!

We had an hour long NW last night from 3.45-4.45. But then I didn't hear from her again till 7 although I suspect she'd been up a bit before. With her early bed, I think she still managed around 11 hours ONS. I wonder if the nW was teeth as I think she's working on her incisors (not tht she lets me near her mouth!). Arghh. Wish they came with light up buttons to tell you what is wrong!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2013, 18:06:32 pm »
Don't we all!

I'd be tempted to set nap and BT and push through, at least to give yourself some consistency.  At this age set naps do tend to work a bit better and might help LO to settle into a one nap routine.  What do you think?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2013, 18:31:40 pm »
For what it's worth I agree with Katherine - set naps could well be worth a try!
~ Naomi ~

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #274 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:24 am »
Definitely tempted, as its always hard to know what time she wakes up and she can often lie awake sucking her thumb for a good while. This morning for example, I'm not sure if she was up at 5.30 when I first heard her, or 6.30 when I next heard her!

My only worry would be because she takes really quite short naps - 1.10, or if I can resettle maybe 1.40, then we might stray into OT very quickly?

I guess I could do a 'not before' of say 11.30 and 6.15 (although aiming for more like 6.40 with a better nap) which frankly with our EWs would almost become set?? What do you think?

Our best success recently has been to extend her afternoon A to 5.5 or a bit less if she short naps. It has meant ALOT less messing at bedtime, although we are getting SCs but we were getting those anyway.

So very much appreciate your help here - really grateful especially since you're all out the other side of this ridiculousness.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2013, 17:40:55 pm »
When we were first on one nap we did set nap 11.30 and set BT 6/6.30, but usually nearer to 6 because of short naps.  She was OT for quite a while but slowly she seemed to catch up and get used to it.  I never woke her in the morning unless it got to 8am, and never capped the nap unless it reached 3h.  Tbh both were rare events but sometimes happened and shed still go down for nap and BT as usual at set times x

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2013, 18:48:55 pm »
We did the same really as Katherine and over time the nap moved later. The key to the set naps thing and the 18 month regression is to be consistent and you'll get through both. :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2013, 11:06:09 am »
We're moving around a lot over the next month so I don't think I could be as consistent as I think set naps require to be really fair on DD. So I think I'll stick to WTs where I can for the next 3 weeks, and then if we are still in an all over the shop position, I will commit to set naps.

Out of interest - what counts as a good nap, and what a crap nap in your books? DD and DS have never been great nappers, so I don't really know how to judge. She had a 1 hr 45 minute nap yesterday (vg in my book) but had a harder bedtime and a more unsettled and shorter night than when she has been doing a little over an hour. So strange. So inconsistent.

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #278 on: August 10, 2013, 12:19:50 pm »
Oh good. A 45 minute nap. 6pm bedtime tonight.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2013, 12:23:55 pm »
When e was smaller I used to count anything over 50 mins as good, she never napped well in the day but slept really well at night. Now she's well and truly fixed on one nap a day, she can nap for 2 hours and sometimes even 2.5hrs! I've never had to cap a nap until recently and never had to worry too much about OT as she coped really well, but now she's totally different.

I think every child is different and if yours is managing without being miserable during the day and is sleeping well at night then it's obviously working.
~ Naomi ~

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2013, 09:12:46 am »
Can I just pop on for some hugs please?! Have posted on toddler sleep for advice but man this sucks. Lots and lots and lots of sleep and energy vibes for others struggling. I am with you.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #281 on: August 11, 2013, 11:24:06 am »
((((Hugs)))) a plenty x

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #282 on: August 11, 2013, 12:53:11 pm »
((((((Hugs)))))) all round!!
~ Naomi ~

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2013, 21:01:01 pm »
Massive (((hugs))). This is truly grim and makes you doubt yourself as a parent all over again. Some days I feel as lost as I did when she was newborn, and she's my second. (((Hugs)))

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #284 on: August 12, 2013, 07:16:08 am »
Ugh. 2 hour plus NW - barely any crying, just lying there sucking her thumb and staring at the ceiling ??? ???