Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83803 times)

Offline brummum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 56
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2013, 11:46:46 am »
If its any consolation honey we had a 2hr night waking at 3am this morning. Again no crying just shouting at me to 'get him up!'. I'm good for nothing today! Hugs. Totally understand about feeling as clueless as when they were newborns.

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2013, 11:59:36 am »
So sorry Brummum. Its rubbish isn't?  Unfortuantely, I got a bit excited last night as we had friends over and I felt like I was in adult world, and had a little bit too much wine and a little too late bedtime. There's been a lot of cbeebies for my ODS today (although he is loving it!!)

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2013, 06:31:21 am »
Another over 2 hour NW. <sobs> what is going on??!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:27 am »
Another over 2 hour NW

This can be quite common in the regression period, sorry :(  ((Hugs))
In my opinion, the best thing you can do is rule out other causes of long NWs, e.g. teething discomfort, by giving meds, and other discomfort by changing a nappy and settling  him cosy again. Then just try and be as consistent with your usual approach as possible and once the regression is over he will settle back in to a more normal pattern. I appreciate this sounds easier than it is in real terms when you're awake in the middle of the night. It will end! xxxx
~ Naomi ~

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #289 on: August 13, 2013, 11:26:26 am »
Thanks Naomi - sort of helps to know that it might be regression related as I get so hung up on finding the reason for things and fiddling with her routine, which I don't think helps. I medicated last night and comforted as necessary and she was trying to settle, but just couldn't seem to get comfy.

She was super tired this morning, and unless she woke up much earlier than I thought (always possible but I don't think so this time), then she could handle a much shorter A to her nap than usual. She was falling asleep in her buggy and crying, which is most unlike her (pretty much never fell asleep in her buggy even as a newborn). Put her down for a nap now but suspect she will short nap me.

The more I think about it, the more I think I should move to set naps - the guessing about her WUs etc is driving me mad and I think life might just be simpler. She's 18 months so should be able to cope by now, no?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #290 on: August 13, 2013, 18:33:26 pm »
Sorry I got your LOs gender wrong sweetie :(

All LOs are different but my E was on set naps from about a year, shortly after she moved to one nap. I would think your LO would manage it too. Have a read of the thread here and see what you think:
Set naps for toddlers: Why, How and When
~ Naomi ~

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #291 on: August 13, 2013, 20:53:28 pm »
Hello all, i am starting to worry that the dreaded regression has hit us too, a bit early i might add!! We are getting short naps that will not resettle when before he would almost always resettle, hysterical screaming WU from naps. In the morning we get chatty wu after 10.5-11hrs, usually ot for us.
He fact we are teething canines is not helping one bit but meds make no difference!

We are going on holiday in less than 2 weeks and i have an exam next week and am literally living off of my last buys if energy! Almost every morning is pre 6am. We never suffered from ew before!
I thonk i will lose my mind if this lasts all the way through to 18 months!!!

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2013, 11:44:07 am »
My Little Liam - it started early for us, at about 16 mo but also combined with 2-1 issues. Hope it's a short phase for you.

Well we didn't get hours of wake up in the night but she was up for the day at either 4.50 or 5.20 and too long an A to her nap meant 40 minutes. She won't do a CN later and I could cry. Just don't know what to do with her.

Offline brummum

• Showing Appreciation 56
« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2013, 16:42:06 pm »
Well I think they are tag teaming then because we had a 2hr early hrs wake up this morning. I'm shattered and my head is throbbing!

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #294 on: August 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am »
This was our day yesterday:

WU 0550
A 5hr30
S 1120-1230 resettled almost instantly 1230-1340 I had to wake him for dr appointment.
A 4hr40
BT 0620

We had a cry out at 830, 120, 220 and WU at 5!!!! I don't know if he was ut or OT at BT or if it was pain from canines OT maybe just the regression/developmental. I have noticed that no matter what length nap, even if only an hour, we are getting nights around 10hr40. I don't know if this is habitual or maybe by that point teeth are bothering  him. Today is a 2 nap day with a 30min CN but I am wondering about tomorrow if I get a better WU. Do you think afternoon A should be more like 5hrs? I think his morning A needs to be a tad shorter for sure. I don't know what to do about these short nights!!

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #295 on: August 15, 2013, 13:04:09 pm »
Disaster! He wouldn't nap until 220pm. I guess I will wake him at 330 to keep BT.
Could it be that my LO needs a 5hr A after a good nap and that part of the problem with short nights is that he is ut? The problem is I usually either get a horrible nap or an amazing nap that is 2.5-3hrs. If I do 5hr A time our day is 13hrs. Is that too long? Should I cap the nap to make the day shorter??

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2013, 08:00:12 am »
Possibly - my DD definitely needs 5hrs A but she is a bit older (and frankly given the mess we're in, you probably shouldn't take advice from me!).

Did you just end up with 1 nap yesterday then? What time did you first try PD after your early wake?

We're just in hell here. Half an hour nap 2 days ago, just over an hour yesterday and an hour and a half night waking last night - up for the day by 6! I think we're in a hideous OT cycle but can't seem to dig our way out. I'm going to give it another week of trying what we're doing (approx sticking to WTs etc) and then, as hopefully we'll be travelling a bit less, take the advice Naomi and others suggested and go to set naps. I can't think what else to do. Although set naps on top of already OT could be a recipe for disaster. Ugh ugh ugh.  And I know its getting bad when DH and I start arguing about it in the middle of the night...

How you doing Brummum?

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2013, 11:12:52 am »
We got a second nap in the car at 220-330 I woke him but then he wouldn't fall asleep until 745. NW 220-250 and wake up at 605 so a short night! Today I wanted to put him down for a nap at 1115 and got nap refusal. Final got him down at 1220 but I am sure he is OT by now and am terrified of a short nap again! :-\

Offline amateursuch

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:15 am »
I'm definitely in for a short nap. Just can't escape the cycle. Hope better for you.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:09 am »
Hang in there ladies, you'll get though it :)