Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83867 times)

Offline TB9

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #405 on: August 21, 2014, 13:51:10 pm »
Still here too!  DD2 is also learning a lot of new words.  I have kept her to 1hr naps, but even then she has 10hr nights some nights...she had 1 no nap day and was content for the whole day and had an amazing night, but hasnt had any other days that I have been able to let her no nap.

With dd1 starting school in september everyone has to be up earlier anyway, so I am just kinda rolling with the punches!

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #406 on: August 21, 2014, 17:22:20 pm »
That's interesting, tink. We've been getting 10hr nights even on 1hr naps too. I was wondering how/ when no naps days might start and if J isn't OT I was thinking of trying to cap his nap further.  I let him nap as long as he wants today (1hr 20), and we're doing an ebt tonight in case he is OT as he's not going to get much sleep over the weekend.  I'm hoping it is that, otherwise we're going to have a hideous night. 

Even if it's all developmental, it tends to disrupt his sleep more if he's UT than if he's properly tired.  It's often the difference between waking, rolling over and going back to sleep,  and being awake for 2hrs.... So if he's UT going to bed tonight it could all go wrong at 3am. At least I'll know where I am then,  though!

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #407 on: September 10, 2014, 20:28:23 pm »
Urgh. So we're completely in the middle of a SR right now.  He's taking a long time to go to sleep at bedtime, he's refused his nap 3 times this week, but our usual OT recovery tricks aren't working,  and we're getting chatty NWs and EWs (probably cos we're letting him nap too long on the days he is napping). He fought his nap today so we did WIWO and he slept 35/40 minutes which is classic developmental/UT here.  The trouble is he often has an A time leap with developmental stuff so it's hard to figure out.  And he hasn't got much of a nap left anyway, so we're straying into 1-0 territory too.  We're living hand to mouth sleep wise at the moment!!! Hopefully the WIWO today will help with tomorrow's nap and then I just have to figure out how much daytime sleep he needs atm....

Offline TB9

« Reply #408 on: September 23, 2014, 16:57:55 pm »
Oh man, this regression is getting BAD!  Up for 2.5hrs the other night, so I started letting her go without a nap...and she has been perfectly fine without one for days in a row  :o  But then lastnight she had a 3hr nw.  Same as the 2.5hr one from the other night this week, she gets up cries, I go in and she is standing in the crib so I take her out and she tells me with her signs that she is "all done"  as in all done sleeping...and when I say, "no it is still sleepy time" she throws a massive fit and tries to climb off my lap to go do whatever it is she thinks she needs to do at 3am  ::)  then the babbling and talking starts.  Then she starts to fall asleep, but wont let me put her into bed   :(  I am so tired today!

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #409 on: September 23, 2014, 19:53:28 pm »
I dread the return of two or three hour night wakings *shudder*.  I hope they pass soon for you. Lol at the "all done" though.  Jack says the same when he wants to get up. Are you still getting independent sleep issues since the roseola? Is that merging with the sleep regression now, or were you back on track for a bit?

Offline TB9

« Reply #410 on: September 28, 2014, 10:43:09 am »
I think she Is back on track with independent sleep.  At least we are back to the place we were at before roseola.  She still needs a good cuddle before she will fall asleep, and I have to put her in very drowsy, but she has always been like that.  She is just not tired.  It is actually amazing to witness, lol.  She had a 20min nap in the stroller Friday, followed by a good night, no wakeups :)  Then Saturday she didn't nap at all, I didn't even try because she was perfectly fine, and she fought bedtime after being up for 11.5hrs  :o  Finally got her to bed and she had another good night...her problem is she just doesnt want to miss out on anything!

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #411 on: September 28, 2014, 13:11:29 pm »
Jack is the same. We're still getting nws, but I think capping the nap is helping / will help in our case.  I've moved his nap 15 minutes earlier and now he's waking after only 37 - 45 minutes.  The days he has 40 minutes or less we tend to get less or no nws. And even 45 minute naps are giving us shorter nights now. I just don't want to actively cap at less than 40 minutes, so I've held off - just in case it is all developmental.  But I don't think we'd get better nights with less day sleep if it was? I think I ought to try a shorter nap really,  so I know for sure.... Jack always has an A time leap with developmental changes - I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here.

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #412 on: October 13, 2014, 13:03:38 pm »
Hi ladies hope you are all ok!

Ive come here in desperation really although not sure if anything will help us at the mo! But just needed to vent a bit!

For about a week now macie has been refusing naps & resisting bedtime! Its soooo unlike her and right out of the blue!! Im going a little crazy! Im pretty sure its the 18m sr and hoping it passes soon.

She was on wu around 6am nap at 12.30 ish til 2.30 bed at 7.

All of a sudden she started waking closer to 7 (great i thought!) but thats when the nap resistance started. Ive tried putting her to bed at 1, 1.30, 2 and she just keeps getting up, crying, screaming. Ive tried wi/wo, placing back into bed ect and in the end she is crying so hard i have to get her and cuddle her. Sometimes she has fallen asleep instantly on me as shes that exausted sometimes she has had no nap at all.

Its just a nightmare!! And at the same time im trying not to be a prop & cause bad habbits.

Will this pass can someone please tell me this will pass haha arrrgghh 🙈
Jody
 xx

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #413 on: November 09, 2014, 08:34:57 am »
Hi honey sorry you got missed there for a while. How're you getting on now? I hope it has passed for you xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #414 on: November 09, 2014, 18:37:53 pm »
Hi, were all good now! Thx
Jody
 xx

Offline Coops Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #415 on: December 02, 2014, 14:07:51 pm »
Hi,

I have just been referred to this string as they think this is our problem. I didn't even know this regression existed as my D'S didn't experience it. So here goes:

About a week ago my DD started becoming difficult to put down for naps and bedtime. She's also refused a few naps. Here has been our schedule:

Wake up- 6:30
Nap- 1 ( based on advice from other string we started 6.5 hrs A time. We were doing 5.5)
Bed 6:30-7:30 depending on nap length or if we got a nap at all.

Any idea what's going on and how to remedy? Yesterday no nap so I put her down at 6pm. She struggled settling so I finally put her in crib and walked out. She fell asleep within 5 min. Cried angrily at first but then simmered to just the I'm annoyed cry!

Offline Coops Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #416 on: December 02, 2014, 14:09:54 pm »
Forgot to say that last night she had one NW but got herself back down.

And she's 17 month old this week and always been on the low sleep need side.

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2014, 18:32:07 pm »
I'm new here too... have a 17.5 month old little guy... champion sleeper until about 2 weeks ago, however, just became fussy with going down - still fell asleep etc.  Began having some NW and EW for the last 2-3 weeks so I began to cap his nap 1:30-3:00pm and for the last two nights all is well. 

Does anyone know if this is a slight sign of the dreaded 18 month sleep regression?  Or maybe we just needed tweaked?  I keep looking for teeth but haven't seen those yet either... I hate capping his nap as that always seems to build a slow OT problem - but I can rarely if ever get him down earlier for a nap or earlier to bed.

He gets up at 7am and BT is at 8pm with the one nap which could be as long as 2.5 hours but then there is NO night! :(

Any thought?
With God all things are possible!

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #418 on: December 02, 2014, 19:19:19 pm »
Hi girls!

Yes for both its probably the 18 month sr! My post above i was in dispair lol. It passted after about 2/3 weeks just kept consistent on putting dd down if she refused we skipped or tried for half an hour later on. EBT helped too. But she was back to self settling bu the end of it. So fingers crossed they both will go back to normal soon. I had to chill out otherwise i would have gone mad!

Also dd got a lot of teeth shortly after so i think teething played a part too. If you think any ppssible sign of teething give meds and see how that helps 😀

Fingers crossed it passes x
Jody
 xx

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #419 on: December 05, 2014, 13:00:12 pm »
I'm thinking I'm going have to join you guys too.. Hi again Marcia!!

DD seems to be showing signs of this dreaded SR, that coupled with the fact she's teething her canines as well. Both her lower ones have just poked through and she's snotty as hell, so I'm expecting the top ones anytime now too. She's grumpy and clingy.

We've never had nap resistance before, but today it's taken 30mins of wi/wo to even get her to try and fall asleep. She's only ever like this if I try and put her down for a nap somewhere unfamiliar. We've had the playing around at BT since we went down to one nap, she takes 30mins to fall asleep regardless of A time, but that's getting worse now too  >:(

I just don't think I have the patience to deal with a SR as well as this terribly awful teething atm. Give me the low down though... What am I in for? TIA and ((hugs)) to everyone going through this x