Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83798 times)

Offline lily528

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 20:23:15 pm »
ummm one time she  played with no nap at all and one time it was with a nap...no real consistency with that and its rare...bt is never really an issue...only happened twice in the last several months.  she played til 8:20ish last night and was up at  7:15 this morning.  We did nap at 1ish and she went right out...no playing...she slept til 2:45-2:50 somewhere around there.  I know I know too long of a nap but you all know i'm not a waker lol so this shouldn't surprise you.  can only hope she continues to wake around 7 in the mornings and most everything else should fall into place I guess...we'll see

in any event it sounds like you have things under control and seem to know your little man pretty darn well...good luck
<3 Melissa

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 21:05:24 pm »
I think just expect for her to need a later bedtime on the days she is taking a long nap & thats all you can do.x

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2012, 13:06:29 pm »
Hi ladies,I am not sure if I'm in the right place or not, because your LOs seems older than DS. But for the past 4 days he is driving me nuts!! We have lots of issues going on tthe same time such as me trying to wean night feeds, canines, ew, you name it.

A month ago or so he was sort of doing 5.5 hr a time then a 1.5 hr nap and then similar to bt. Then he started resisting and then we moved to 6 hrs A time. That worked too. He was napping longer, but then the ews started again and now it seems he is refusing a nap even at 6 hrs!!

The other day he refused and in the end it was 6h15 mins after aping to nap and he slept 2 hrs andi had to wake him.

Is nap refusal part of the 18 mo sleep regression? What actually happens during thistime! I dont remember it being this hard with dd. She was alway high sleep needs. Will they get back to normal!! What should I try? I think past 6 hrs is too long right?

Thanks ladies! His night is nit the best either. He will do about 11-11.5 hrs but with a fair few nw waking for comfort feeds and cuddles. I am going to wean him off that once the canine cut thru.

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2012, 20:07:44 pm »
clairebear- you are prob right yesterday she woke at 7:20 napped 1-2:45 and played in her crib til 8:30 today she woke at & so sort of a shorter night for her...my sister has her today and didn't get her down and asleep til almost 1:30 (due to other things delaying her reg 1pm nap time) and she slept til amost 4!  when I reached out to her at 3:45 and she said she's still sleeping I said wake her a** up! LOL  can't believe she slept like that..she woke on her own before my sister even could wake her sometime around 3:50...crazy...no idea what to expect tonight now :/  she WAS whiny this morning..and she has two teeth coming in up top so maybe that is what is causing this up and down with her sleep needs...who knows...

shresmummy- welcome...even though I'm sure you aren't too happy to be on this thread lol...we have all been on here prob since our babes were your lo's age lol so I'd say you are right about there with the regression issues...certainly sounds like it...first off night feeds?!  eeesh i feel for you...you are still getting nw's?  def sounds like you have a lot going on ((Hugs))  could you maybe post his typical day right now in easy form?  I don't know about anyone else but that is def. easier for ME to follow and disect :)  these ladies are great and you will get a lot of great advice
<3 Melissa

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 03:43:28 am »
Hi, thanks so much for the response!! the past 2 days have been full on with nap resisting. Dont' know what the issue is anymore.

Before all this nonsense started last week our routine sort of looked like this.

Wu 6:-6:30 anytime in between
nap - 12:15ish - 1:45 (usually after 6hr A time, and he'd sleep for about 1.5 hr, once he even slept for 2 hrs)
bt - about 5-5.25 hr A time after nap wu
nw - really hard to say because it varies each night. Some nights it can be up to 4 or 5, most nights at least 2 or 3. Some of them he will settle in a minute without feed, some he will demand one.

I don't reallly have a routine anymore at the moment! He is definitely teething and I wonder whether that is the reason for half his NWs and nap issues? He is waking very restless, almost shouting and angry in the second half of the night. I give pain meds before bed and I wonder whether they are wearing off? But I don't want to keep giving meds at such a rate!

Yesterday our day looked like this:

wu 6:30
nap - 12:35 - 1:45 (woke crying but was happy later)
bt - took him in at 6:45, fed and was asleep by 7:10
Nws - 9:45 first nw, needed feed, then midnight quick resettle no feed, 3 am can't remember if I fed or not!, 5:45 am fed.
woke up for today at 6:30.

It's a mess ! Please help :) :) Thanks ladies!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 19:37:28 pm »
And I'm back!  Ugh.

Things were so great with DD and then we went on a 2 week holiday - now we are reliving the 18 month regression!

EW, OT and crap naps... total deja vu!

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 21:15:22 pm »
I'm back too :) Not quite so bad but it's just the first chance I've had to come on here in ages - I've been pretty OT myself recently and have been desperately trying to get some EBTs!

Claire - funny how we've both ended up on a similar routine, although it seems like O is just moving on from that and M has back-tracked a little due to lots of things making him a bit more tired (teething, stomach bug, noises from flat downstairs, going away, etc). So we've been doing 7:45pm BT for a few nights to help him catch up - we had got to the point where we were always waking every morning and after every nap, and I felt like he could have done with a bit more sleep but was scared of UT/OT. I'll be following O's progress with interest - I like to plan ahead, even though things always happen differently to what I've expected! I'd been mulling over the following 3 scenarios:
(i) Just as you've said - keep waking at 2:30 even if he went to sleep later to shorten nap and preserve BT/night
(ii) If he still gets to sleep at 1pm but needs longer to BT: shorten nap in 15min increments to preserve night
(iii) Wake earlier in the morning in 15min increments to preserve nap time/duration but at the cost of night sleep (10.5h min!)
How's it going?

Melissa/shresmummy - teething is horrible! I'm sure it does influence sleep needs, even if we don't actually hear them in the night I'm sure they don't sleep as soundly and need to make up for it either with longer naps or earlier BT - I tend to favour the latter unless there's illness too. Often I think it's more a matter of working out our contingency plans and then trying to ride it out.

Shresmummy - I'm sure the meds do wear out and if it's paracetamol/ibuprofen you can always give it again after 4h or alternate if they need something earlier. But I do know what you mean about giving meds too often - I'm sure I'm guilty of that but I do find it hard to know when it's most needed. Often he'll have a really screechy BT/night and I know it's pain so will start giving it at BT then before I realise it's been several nights in a row and I'm wondering if I've given too much! I guess it's always best to ask your doctor/pharmacist, but I kind of think that if it's ok for some kids to take them regularly due to some underlying health problem then it probably won't do any harm as long as you stick to the dosage limits. But I know others would always look to more 'natural' remedies and you could probably argue it either way. *I am not an expert!*

Anyway the main things I've taken from the 18mo sleep regression are SA and *decreasing sleep needs*. Our experience of the former was fairly short-lived, but the latter does seem to persist! For the SA, I'd started noticing it during the day and began to realise that it was contributing to BT troubles. So I deliberately did lots of 'object permanence' stuff during the day, peepo and leaving the room then coming back, etc. I also had a sweet 'chat' with him during his BT bf, just explaining that he was safe and loved and that there wasn't anything to worry about, we were just in the other room etc etc. He just looked up at me with serious eyes and nodded, and went to sleep that night with no trouble! I can certainly say that the SA peak at 18mo did subside and now he's really confident and can play independently for much longer than before.That's not to say there won't be more SA peaks later, but for us it was just a passing phase.

The decreasing sleep needs on the other hand - I'm only now feeling that we've caught up with them! Really, what I thought he really needed before, he doesn't any more, it was a complete surprise and I was very slow to catch on. EBTs don't really work any more, if he's more tired than usual then we just PD 15mins earlier, that's all. And A times stretch, for us especially the morning one needed to - as Claire often points out, to 6h and eventually even longer. Shresmummy - how's his appetite during the day? Is he struggling to eat as much as usual because of the teething and then making up for it at night, do you think? Could you give teething gel or something before his meals? Are you posting on a night-weaning board for this? I would guess that the later NWs are pain/hunger and if he wakes in the early evening that's usually OT. Do keep us posted and I really hope things settle down for you soon...

Ok another question (I've been saving these up!): Whose LOs have a cuddly toy for their naps/nights? When did they start and how do you think it's affected their sleep? M has had a soother/comfort blanket from around 6mo (when he left our room) and still uses it, but about a month ago (maybe less?) he became very attached to 'Bear' and started asking for it for sleep. At first I was reluctant as I feared he'd just play, but he's slept with it at night for a couple of weeks now and for naps for about a week too. A few times he's also asked for 'foo foo' (that's the sound a dog makes, apparently!), and seemed ok with that although he then stopped asking for it and just has Bear and his blanket. But I have heard more stirrings recently where he's obviously talking to Bear and now I'm wondering how much it might be disturbing his sleep, or if it's more likely that he wakes anyway and then talks to Bear for comfort? I'm especially unsure of how having two toys (aside from the small comfort blanket) would affect his sleep since it must surely be harder to move/roll without one of them getting in the way and waking him?? He's been stirring a few times this evening, don't think it's OT as he had a good 1.5-2h without a peep, but he's chatted to Bear each time! Or could he even be sleep-talking??

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 10:51:17 am »
Hi Trimbler

Things are a wee bit wonky here atm.  The 1-2.30 nap with 8pm BT resulted in OT NW's and he started waking earlier.  I suspect this is because we moved his nap a touch earlier, but equally it may have all been down to OT, IDK.  Of your 3 scenarios, my least favourite is 3) I find that O really does need his 11hrs at night or he is just a total grump.  We are barely getting it anymore though, seem to be getting 10.5hrs with a 1.5hr nap so IDK what I'm to do really.  He needs a longer nap to manage through the day but if he has it then his nights are waaay short.  But I am also finding if I cap his nap to just 1hr, he isn't really making up for it at night.  Yesterday he was up late so had 1hr nap & ebt (15mins early) & he did 11hrs & is foul & shattered this morning.  He's gone down for a nap at 11am (just 4hrs A) this morning eek! he can only have an hour as we have a birthday party 12-2pm.

WRT cuddly toy, yes Oliver has, erm, 5 in his cot!  He also started with a jellycat lamb at around 6 months & I have always allowed him to have it in bed as its his comfofrter.  He used to rub it on his face & suck on its arms.  Then the 1 became 2, and 2 became 3 & before you know it we have many many cuddly toys.  He sleeps with one tucked under each arm, it really is cute.  Anyhow, I don't find that they disturb his sleep at all.  He does talk to them at bedtime, and also first thing in the morning, and very occasionally I hear him at night, but generally only when he is looking for them.  And I find they give him great comfort - if he wakes & is unsettled he will call for them & once he finds them he settles straight back down without us needing to go in at all.

Shresmummy - what trimbler said!  We never had any SA but we def found sleep needs changed & that DS needed a longer morning & a very slightly shorter nap.

Right gotta go wake my boy up for this party!x

Offline trimbler

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2012, 19:42:32 pm »
Claire - thanks for the reassurance with the cuddlies, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and let him have more gradually - he's only had Bear the last couple of nights anyway so may have found it too much having more. I think he's a little more on the spirited side than yours - did you say previously that O was a bit touchy? Not sure if that makes any difference, but M certainly does get easily excited, especially when tired! We probably have an advantage in that he can still be very happy in a hyper sort of way when he's a bit OT, although there's a fine line between that and getting whiny or suddenly having a meltdown when he's told 'no'.

Sounds tricky... especially when you have to tweak everything around parties etc, I always have a big panic when we have to be up and out around nap time! Sounds like getting 11h+ at night is more important for O than having a longer nap? How did you get on with PD at 1pm and waking at 2:30, with O not actually getting to sleep until around 1:10? Did that give you the OT NWs with BT still at 8pm? Could you try an earlier BT if he has a shorter nap? Could you PD around 1:10/1:15 instead? Or did you find that you absolutely had to cap to 1h and then it all went wrong? Try more gradual capping? Keep us posted!

Offline dijjibob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 09:10:53 am »
Hi ladies,
I'm here for advice as it seems I am in the same boat as others in here.
I posted my own post the a while back as my then 19 month old seemed to need z shorter nap. I felt Alwful cutting her nap to 1h 30 but it did seem to work getting bedtime back to 7.30 and wake up around 7.00
Now at 20 and a half months I don't know where to go, bedtime is getting later as she chats in bed, not for too long but until nearer 8.00, but the wake up is about 6am so with only an 1.30 nap she just is not sleeping enough.
Problem now is she is getting tired and I don't know when To  drop the nap more, I have said to OH to give her a slightly earlier nap at 12.30 or 12.45 and just 1h 15. Then at bedtime I dont  know whether to stick to 7.30 or earlier.
I have tried the 1 h 15 before but it doesn't really seem to help her she still has short nights.
Our best nights come on days that naps are out and about and she only naps for an hour in pram or car seat.
I have a horrible feeling she only needs an hour but it feels wring, my dd1 was still having two hour plus until she was 2.
I try to stick to a 7.30 bedtime instead of later as my dd1 has dropped her nap and once a week or more they come back at bedtime from grandmas so she goes to bed between 7.00 and 7.30.
Any ideas ladies please

Offline emzi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My Beautiful Baby Girl Ruby Roo x x
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2012, 11:59:07 am »
Hi All,

Ive spent ages reading all your posts from thr orginal thread, right through to this one and firstly can I say thank you so much for giving us first time mummy's some hope! Im hoping someone will help me with where I go from here........
Im Emma, mummy to Ruby who was 17 months old yesterday, she has always been ahead of the game and Im sure the 18 month old sleep recession is no different.
She has always been an awful napper, getting around 40 mins to 1 hour in one go, no amount of patting, relaying or ssshhhing has ever helped her go back to sleep.
Two weeks ago she suddenly started sleeping for up to 2.5 hours at Nursery between 12pm and 2.30pm.. great I thought, finally cracked the naps... and then all hell broke lose.
We went back to 40 min naps, power struggling at bedtime, 2-3 NWs and and EW at 5.30am to say i'm exhausted is an under statement.
Here's our current routine:
5.30-6.00am- Wake for the day
8.00am- Arrive at Nursery
8.30am- Breakfast
10.00am- Morning snack
11.30am- Lunch
12.00-1.00pm- Nap, refuses to sleep before lunch
2.30pm- Snack
4.00pm- Dinner
4.45- Pick up from Nursery
6.00- Bath, Bottle, Bed- Asleep by 6.30-6.45

I have tried EBT, LBT.. waiting for tired cues etc but dont seem to find the answer. One thing I have found when reading all your posts is that it seems 10.5-11 hours seems to be average at night. Maybe bedtime for Ruby at 6.30pm is always going to cause a EW of 5.30am, and Im dreaming to think that she will go back to sleeping 6.30-6.30?
Can anyone give me any advice?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 20:49:30 pm »
One thing I have found when reading all your posts is that it seems 10.5-11 hours seems to be average at night. Maybe bedtime for Ruby at 6.30pm is always going to cause a EW of 5.30am,

11 hrs of night sleep isn't an EW ;)  It may be an early start, but an EW is actually less than 10 hrs of night sleep and not at all related to the time of day. 

She does seem a bit low on total sleep though for sure... I almost wonder if her first A time is too long and it's causing a chronic OT issue...

I have a horrible feeling she only needs an hour but it feels wring, my dd1 was still having two hour plus until she was 2.

Two things - DD1 may have had higher than average sleep needs ;)  DD2 may be average to low sleep needs...

So right now she is something like this:
Wake 7am
Nap 1245 - 2pm
BT 730pm?? 

If so, she is OT for sure hun... and that could be the main reason for the chatting at BT and the shorter nights... I would let her have a solid 2 hr nap and keep BT at 730/745pm and see what happens after a few days time...

Offline trimbler

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 20:21:11 pm »
Hi I'm back again - I've been trying to address my own sleep issues and so cutting out BW in the evening to get an EBT myself! And now I'm trying to get used to the new look of the site :)

Welcome Dijjibob and Emzi! Just one more question for both of you - how are your LOs when awake? Tired/grumpy/hyper? Or just happy and content? When do they seem most tired/OT?

I think we're needing to look at nap capping again... We did get a little stability at:

7am WU
1-2:30pm nap
7:45-8pm BT

But we've had almost a week now of either taking longer to get to sleep at BT (8:45pm tonight!) and having to be woken in the morning or getting to sleep ok but waking early. He's not been showing signs of OT yet but I think we're going to have to do something to break the cycle as I'm sure that we're having to wake in the morning because of the shorter night, then wake after the nap because it's not long enough after the shorter night, but then it's still too long for him to get to sleep at a reasonable time in order to have a decent night... So, if we get a 7am WU tomorrow then I'll get DH to wake him from his nap after 1h 15 (so 2:15pm) and then probably PD at 7:45pm. Dijjibob - whenever we've done this before we've stuck to the nap start time like glue and bring BT forward a little to compensate - so when PD was 8pm after a 1h 45min nap but he wasn't settling until more like 8:30pm, we'd shave 15mins off the nap and try PD at 7:45pm. That seemed to settle things after a while and gradually BT would be back to 8pm again - so I'm hoping this will work again for us this time!

Offline emzi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My Beautiful Baby Girl Ruby Roo x x
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 12:23:26 pm »
Hi Trimbler,

Thanks for the welcome, most mornings Ruby wakes up crying or moany. We have had a few mornings where she has played with her teddies but not for long.
Yesterday she slept for 50 mins at nursery from 12.20pm to 13.10pm. By the time she was in the bath at 6.15pm she was hysterical and almost asleep in my arms whilst drying her. Needless to say we had a disrupted night, crying at 10pm, 1am, 3am and awake for the day at 6.20am

Offline dijjibob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:51 pm »
Thankyou for info, and in answer to the questions. LO is always quite happy when she wakes, sometimes she will lie quietly sucking her thumb skin never can be sure what time she wakes. Then soon will start to shout mommy but doesn't seem OT to me. Obviously some mornings of she has taken ages to fall asleep and then wakes early she struggled to get through morning until nap time.
I have tried to cut 1h 15 before but we ended with nws at 4.30 which is happening again now. ( she is really upset when wakes) I  am going to try 1.15 again today but try slightly earlier bed as she has been falling straight to sleep at 7.30 with shorter nap. If I give her 1 30 she either falls asleep at 7.30 and then wakes at 5.45 - 6.00 or takes ages to fall asleep and then Wakes early anyway.

Options wake 7.00
            Nap 1-2.15
             Bed 7.15

Hope for no night wakes,

Or 1.30 nap and later bedtime although we find ghis harder with dd1

She is taking a while to fall asleep at nap time 10 - 20 minutes do I still keep nap length the same or keep wake up time the same and sk shorter night.

Thankyou