Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83826 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2012, 07:15:58 am »
we are getting lots of this too, the waking after about 10 hours, short naps and even crying at nap time......hope it passes. I still have not had the 3 hour naps I was promised! ;)

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:19 am »
Yup becj86. He's usually ok in the am. He'll grumble a bit but he's not screaming for me to come get him or anything and he's not that into BF in the am anymore bc he just filled up an hour or so ago.

So... Is there anything I can do? Or are we just waiting it out...
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:54 am »
I think this one's a wait it out thing, unfortunately. Keeping the routine as steady as possible is helpful, so LO can self-regulate through the changes in sleep needs.

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2012, 14:18:32 pm »
Ahhhhhhh. Just when you have everything figured out right? I guess we'll wait it out. I just checked wonder weeks and it's not a leap but a little cloudy period right now too. I was thinking of moving his BT a tad later. Right now it's 6-6:30, so maybe 6:30-7:00 would be better? Anyone know how long this recrssion typically lasts?
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2012, 18:34:46 pm »
I can't work out how much of our issues atm is the 18 month sleep regression..I guess it must be. DD turned 18 months on 1st Dec and things are just grim! Naps are short, we have NWings and/or EWings and very very unusually some weird BT stuff too. How long does it go on for? Some of it may be her cold but not all. I wonder about canines but nothing obvious. We are SO tired :(

Offline becj86

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2012, 19:56:26 pm »
Becky, I didn't think I'd notice it, sleep was so bad anyway, but it got worse with the regression :( I think it lasted about 3-4 weeks but I can't be sure because plenty of other things play into DS' sleep...

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2012, 19:59:25 pm »
that's the thing isn't it....it could be so many things and I know the cold and dropping to 1 nap are part of it but we just seem to have taken so many steps backwards! How are things with you?

Offline becj86

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2012, 20:09:28 pm »
Terrible :( DH let L sleep at 11 on Saturday instead of keeping him up til 12 (set nap time) and he slept 1hr10 - UT. Couldn't get him down til 5:45 which was too much A off such a short nap and voila, OT baby... so now I'm just going to have to be really consistent all week with 12/7:30 as sleep times and hope to reset his body clock yet again.

L was up about 6 times last night but is still sleeping now at 6am... 10.5hr night and counting. I did have to wake him at 7:30 yesterday to go to work but I don't have to today. Not really sure if I should let him sleep and how long for? Then do I still do a set nap or do I shift it out a little so he has some chance of actually sleeping for his nap?

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2012, 12:12:38 pm »
how did it go??

Our big issue is naps - what A time do you work to atm? i know you said you set - has that been successful? I just can't get a decent nap out of M and that is the root of our issues.

Offline becj86

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2012, 20:32:59 pm »
A time is anything between 4.5 and 6.5-7hr depending on WU, usually 5.5. Set nap at 12 is working reasonably well, along with set BT at 7:30 - the EW (hence the long A time) I think may be teeth-related, working now on timing meds right to get him through the early hours of the morning, seems to need them at 4am or so to get through to 6:30/7am with all that goes on around here in the morning.

I must admit our naps are pretty good. 1hr20 after 4.5hr (definitely UT), usually 2-2.5hr and sometimes 3hr. I have been known to resettle early on in the nap but I've got to be in there within seconds of him stirring or he's up.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »
gah, our naps are atrocious!

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2012, 21:23:18 pm »
Things were going well for a while. Pushed BT back a touch and then solidly getting 11 to 11.5 hrs of sleep. Good naps at home 2 to 3 hrs, but only 1.5 to 2 hrs at daycare. Down to only BF in AM and PM, not NFs! Then I wasn't home for one BT and it all went downhill. Plus we had to keep him out past his BT one night. I think he needs routines so much. Hope this weekend is good. I'm going to be part time in Jan instead of full time and I hope that will help him adjust a bit better. I'm so happy I had a whole year off, but I still think it was a bit early to go back to work/daycare for DS. Hope everyone is having a good sleeps!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2013, 22:22:44 pm »
Hello ladies, How are you all? I haven't been on regularly for a while (life has kinda got in the way!) but we are having sleep issues and thought I'd have a read on this thread to get some insight....
Sofia turned 18m just before Xmas and also at the same time cut 2 canines and the other 2 are on their way by the looks of it. Xmas has left us a little out of whack with the routine but not in a crazy way. I have been blaming the teeth for NWs but they have settled down (the teeth and for the last couple of nights the NWs too) but now we are getting bedtime refusal, last night and tonight she was up til 9pm.
Going to have a good read thru but am hoping to see this is a short lived phase!! :)
xxxx

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2013, 17:57:41 pm »
Hi again. I have had a skim through and looked at the stickies, is there any info on the regression - how to tell if it is a regression, how long it lasts on average, what to do (stick with existing routine, try tweaks, what methods of settling work well...)

We managed to leave Sofia last night and she moaned a little and then chatted but again didn't sleep til 9pm...

What is everyone's day looking like at 18m? Just wonder if we need a tweak. She was reliably doing 2-3hrs nap waking around 3pm then going to bed at about 7:30pm, now it's more like 1.5hrs nap tops, and bed is a write off!

Rach. x

Offline becj86

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2013, 21:28:24 pm »
We've had to shift nap later and have a shorter A to BT, but L has always done better with a long AM A and short A to BT.