Author Topic: help with dairy free diet  (Read 4811 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: help with dairy free diet
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 11:06:56 am »
Is he getting red meat in his diet? That's one good source of iron. Liver in general tends to be as well. Legumes are high in iron, but they are also notoriously hard to digest; I'd be cautious about trying them till you know his gut has healed a bit more. Spinach is fairly high in iron as well, although you can't absorb all of it from the spinach; many iron-containing veg also contain compounds to prevent full absorption of the iron.

MPI can manifest in more than one way; eczema/skin problems is just one symptom, while digestive issues can be pretty prevalent in MPI. That's what happens to all of us when we have milk here.

Olive oil is probably OK; we used to mix some into guacamole and feed that to Natalie as an early food.

The only connection I can think of between enzymes and lactose-free milk would be that lactase is the enzyme needed to digest the milk sugar lactose. Maybe she meant lactase-enriched milk? Some people are indeed lactose-intolerant, but many many more are just plain old MPI, and not all doctors really get the difference. :-\  Speaking of enzymes, though, milk comes with its own, most of which are destroyed during pasteurization; unpasteurized milk is the only way we can drink milk in its liquid form in our family. Hard to find here, though, and you have to be super-careful about the farmer if you go that route.

If he's doing OK with trace dairy, since he's been off dairy this long you might want to try some yogurt. It's one of the few forms of milk we CAN digest that isn't raw. The bacterial cultures partially digest the sugars and proteins, apparently.

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 12:43:57 pm »
My lo get eczema from cows milk and soy, but we have found that goats milk is fine, so maybe worth a try if you can get it. Tinned fish is great for calcium, iron and good oils. I believe the japanese wean there baba's onto fish because lactose intolence is the norm over there. Sorry, I didn't see how old your lo is, but this might be an easy thing to add to your lo's diet, if not now, then later?
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 12:52:10 pm »
Good iron sources are red meat, beans and grains - though these ideally should be soaked first to make the iron easier to absorb ( I just read that on google!).

If he is MPI he will be intolerant to all dairy as it is the protein in cow's milk that causes the problem. However the protein changes with cooking and so some baked/hidden dairy can sometimes be tolerated. The same with the process of making cheese/yoghurt I think. Maybe worht a trial of these things? It can take some time t build up so watch very carefully for a week or 2.

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 09:09:55 am »
Thanks for tips ladies!

Red meat, beans, liver, tinned fish and some legumes are already in his diet. I feel like there's a good variety in his diet; I'm not sure though, about the quantities he has to eat. He usually eats smaller portions  more times a day, but compared to some other LOs (e.g in the BC) he doesn't eat that much. And I'm not sure if this affected his blood test results... I mean I felt like he was doing fine on variety and even quantity, and I was surprised that the blood test came to show differently...   :-\

Thanks for info on baked/hidden dairy, I didn't know that. By build up do you mean I should offer him cheese or yoghurt every day for a week or 2 and watch out for reactions?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 16:38:26 pm »
Red meat, beans, liver, tinned fish and some legumes are already in his diet. I feel like there's a good variety in his diet; I'm not sure though, about the quantities he has to eat. He usually eats smaller portions  more times a day, but compared to some other LOs (e.g in the BC) he doesn't eat that much. And I'm not sure if this affected his blood test results... I mean I felt like he was doing fine on variety and even quantity, and I was surprised that the blood test came to show differently...   :-\

TBH - I wonder how many LOs are low in iron levels? They just aren't getting the blood tests to show it - KWIM? Olly's diet is so restricted he is probably low in a good many things  :P

Thanks for info on baked/hidden dairy, I didn't know that. By build up do you mean I should offer him cheese or yoghurt every day for a week or 2 and watch out for reactions?

Yep  :D