Author Topic: Number of bottles per day  (Read 1326 times)

Offline MindyMoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Number of bottles per day
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:15:16 am »
Just wondering how many bottles per day you ladies feed your babies? I know it's different depending on age, (my baby is 5 months old today) we use the Avent bottles and according to the back of the formula can (s26 newborn) my little girl is meant to have 5 bottles of 180ml a day. Even when I wake her at 7am in the morning this seems a struggle. She will usually down a full 180ml when she wakes at night..... but not during the day?

I have her on solids, mostly just purees and some rice cereal 2-3 times a day, varied amounts depending on how hungry she is.. normally 1 hour after her last bottle.

Just concerned that her reduced milk intake is causing her night wakings? Was waking once a night, now twice the last few nights... :-\
Mum to Charlotte - DOB 17/01/2012

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Number of bottles per day
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:21:13 am »
What EASY do you have her on? If she is on an age appropriate 4 hour EASY she would be having 4 bottles in the day, 1 at the DF and usually 1 NF.

How much is she having at each bottle feed? If she isn't taking full feeds (at least 6oz/ 180ml at this age really) then I would be scaling solids right back until she is taking full feeds then gradually re-introduce solids. The extra NW could well be hunger if she isn't getting enough milk in the day as milk has more calories than early solids. Up until they are 1 solids are just for fun, they get their nutrition from milk.

What flow teat is she on too - have you changed to a faster one?

Laura

Offline MindyMoo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:27:17 am »
She is a 4 hour easy minus the DF because it seemed to wake her up too much and she started night waking even more. I guess I could try and reintroduce it?

She will usually have somewhere between 140-180ml, sometimes a little less. I started solids because she seemed ready and she does seem to like it, watches us eat and opens her mouth when the spoon comes to her lips. Would pulling the solids all together now that she's used to it mess with her rhythm?

She's on the 3+ flow teat for thicker liquids.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 20:40:04 pm »
You could cut the solids down to once a day - 3 times a day when you do that much is quite a lot for her age really. How much does she take when she eats solids? You could try the DF again for a few days and see if it help now, you need to do it between 10pm and 11pm. Was she waking before the feed or during it before?

The other thing to consider is to reduce the night bottle a bit so that she is hungrier when she wakes in the morning so you are moving the night calories to the day.

Laura

Offline MindyMoo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 23:44:45 pm »
Thanks Laura, will try your suggestions.

She would normally wake during the DF and sleep fitfully from there on until her next NW. Am going to reduce solids today and try to reduce night feeds.

Last night she woke at 12am (bed @ 7pm but last full bottle @ 5:30pm), I fed her the full 180ml and she slept till she woke again around 5:30am (around the time that the baby monitor started beeping because the temp had dropped in her room) so I think she was just cold. I put her dummy back in and she slept till I woke her at about 7am.