Author Topic: Dream feed interfering with milk in-take during the day?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Fergie12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dream feed interfering with milk in-take during the day?
« on: June 19, 2012, 15:57:40 pm »
Hi, its been a while since I last posted on this site, and seem to have forgotten all I learned with DS1!

DS2 is 13 weeks old today.  His was a big baby at birth (9.1lbs), and since birth has been a very good eater.  Up until about 3 weeks ago he was on a good 3 hour easy and ate 5-6oz at each feed during the day and also one sometimes 2 feeds of about the same at night.  I decided 3 weeks ago to introduce a dream feed (it worked like a charm for my first son).  However he is still waking up each night for a full feed despite the dream feed and I have noticed that his milk in-take during the day has become somewhat erratic.  He started refusing at least one of his bottles each day as well as reducing the amount he was taking per feed.  I have tried stretching out his easy to a 3.5 hour one, thinking that maybe he just wasn't hungry enough after only 3 hours.  This unfortunately has made no difference, and I don't think that he is ready yet for a 4 hour easy.  I have also tried using teats with a faster flow (which he does seem to like), but again have not increased how much he will take at each feed and he is still refusing some bottles.  He doesn't have any problems with reflux either.  The only thing that I have changed in the last 3 weeks is introducing a dream feed, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this interfering with bottles during the day?  On average he sleeps about 3 hours longer with the dream feed than without it, which is great for me and im not keen on dropping it if I don't have to.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dream feed interfering with milk in-take during the day?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 20:53:55 pm »
If he is still having nightfeeds I would think these are causing problems with day time eating rather than the DF. Can you post your EASY so we can see what's going on?

Laura

Offline Fergie12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:50:28 am »
Sorry, for taking so long to reply.  It's been a busy few days. Strangely enough he has slept through the night for the last three nights and as a result of not having a night feed he has been eating much better during the day.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will continue to eat and sleep well (for now anyway lol).

X

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:17:41 am »
Yeah! Great news and fingers crossed for you!

Laura