Author Topic: Holding out for something better  (Read 2617 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Holding out for something better
« on: June 19, 2012, 19:08:14 pm »
Grrr...I hate the fussy phase! X has got to the point where he will not just eat whatever he is given which is getting really old really quickly. The girls were older when they went through it, so I was able to explain to them that they wouldn't get anything different and we got through it without too much pain. However, with x being younger, he doesn't understand why I won't give him anything else, and will get hungry if he doesn't eat.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to why he won't eat - yesterday I made cottage pie and he wolfed it down, I offered him leftovers for lunch and he ate 3 mouthfuls and refused to eat anything else. I think that that is probably why he didn't sleep properly at lunchtime as well.

Unlike the girls, he has always been interested in what other people have, and he will refuse to eat if he can see something that he would rather have - I have had to hide the bananas otherwise he won't eat anything at all! Given that he already gets the idea of holding out until he gets something that he would rather have, I really don't want to give him the option of something different from what I have made, but equally I don't want him not to eat enough - he is quite little enough as it is! So how do I deal with this?

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Holding out for something better
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:33:41 am »
Hi Clare,
Do you think he is doing this because of teething? i know you mentioned he was getting all his molars. I remember going through this with Henry and tbh at this age I would be worried about hunger...I used to give H yoghurt at that age if he refused his tea and I knew he was teething. It was just plain yoghurt at the time sometimes mixed with a bit of fruit.

Martha is the same about wanting what I have...she will just point and whine at whatever it is I am eating even if it is exactly the same as hers!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline clazzat

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:30:20 am »
It could teething related. He is certainly being difficult about everything else because of his teeth! I guess I just ride it out - I have been giving him fruit instead to try to make sure he doesn't waste away.

Offline clazzat

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 17:59:30 pm »
So now we have a new twist - he won't let me feed him because he wants to feed himself, which would be fine apart from the fact that he doesn't put anything in his mouth (unlike all the rest of the time when every damn thing he picks up goes in his mouth ::)) so he doesn't get any food. I don't mind him feeding himself, I don't mind the mess, but I do mind him taking handfuls of food and putting it on the floor with no effort to eat it. So he has not had tea any night this week, which is not making me (or him) happy.

Today he had shreddies for breakfast with a cup of coconut milk - all stuff he can do himself; a bagel and a kiwi fruit for lunch; and one teaspoon of couscous that I managed to force into his mouth, plus a pea that he picked up ::). He also had 3 milk feeds.  Is that enough? I remember dd1 losing a fair bit of weight when she went through her fussy phase, but she was big enough that it didn't matter - x is pretty small and I don't really want him losing any weight.

Any tips or suggestions as to how to get through this? I don't have time to make a separate finger food meal for him every day, and the girls like the things that they are used to, so I really need strategies for either teaching him to eat or getting him to let me feed him.

Offline clazzat

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 18:28:23 pm »
Anyone? He has lost over half a pound since I last weighed him, and he has dropped down to the 9th centile.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 20:27:03 pm »
WRT how much he's eaten I think that looks ok for today & you probably ought to look at what he's eaten over the week rather than just at one day as they can often go light one day but make up for it the next.

Is he ff or bf?  And is 3 milk feeds typical for him or did he have extra b/c of the lack of eating?  If he does have 3 every day, when?  Interested as I found if my DS had any milk during the day then he wouldn't eat his meals very well, once I cut him back to 2 (morning & night) then he ate a lot better.

I have total sympathy on the fussy eating - my DS has been terribly fussy since about a year old (he's almost 2 now) & TBH in our situation I think I fuelled the problem.  Like your DS mine went completely off most of the foods I'd been serving, refusing anything except dry meat (wouldn't eat potatoes, veg, rice, pasta or cous cous & also won't eat anything in a sauce).  So if he didn't like the look of what I served he would completely refuse (without even trying it) & hold out for the good stuff (i.e. fruit/yoghurt/jelly).  Initially I gave it, then I got wise to it & stopped, but we had such prolonged EW & I was so worried he would wake hungry & mess up his sleep that I started making him what I knew he would eat instead of letting him go hungry for refusing the nice family meal.  But looking back this just compounded the problem, and it got even harder to make him stray from those 'safe' foods (bread, sausages, chicken nuggets, fishfingers) IYSWIM? 

We have recently had  to tackle it head on & step outside of the 'comfort zone' & start cooking him proper family meals again, because the list of foods he would eat was so limited.  I do this even though I know there is every chance it will go in the bin.  I put it infront of him & he will either eat it or not.  if he does, great, if he doesn't then he goes hungry.  If he refuses his meal but then asks for his pudding I tell him 'you CAN have it, when you have eaten some of your dinner'.  i don't expect him to eat all of it, but I would like him to try it.  And I feel like by saying what I say in response to his question, I am not bribing him to eat by offering dessert, I am not punishing him by witholding dessert, but I am giving positive reinforcement in order to encourage the bhaviour I want i.e. you CAN have this, if you do this, rather than 'you can't have this because you didn't eat that...' IYSWIM?  The first few nights were pretty tough & he screamed for 1.5hrs & finally ate his dinner at almost 7pm & since then it has slowly improved.  He still doesn't eat his veggies but he is now eating potatoes & pasta again, plus some other new foods.  And he's no longer holding out for the dessert. 

I try to make no more of an issue of mealtimes than that, put the food down, don't discuss it, don't try to entice/coax him to eat it, as I found this only led to more of a stand off.  Its a little different for your DS as he's a bit younger, but I would really advocate NOT going down the route I did i.e. don't just make what you know he will eat or he'll still be doing the same when he's 2!

If you really aren't comfortable with letting him go without (esp since I do appreciate he is younger than my DS) then perhaps you could give him something to eat a little while later, I suppose like a supper.  Perhaps yoghurt, or some cereal, or an oat bar or  maybe some fruit.  By having a break between dinner & this next 'meal', he hopefully won't then associate the two & refuse dinner in order to get his 'supper'.

HTH.x

Offline clazzat

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 21:12:58 pm »
Thanks - I remember reading your thread and I know you have been going through issues as well. I did do all the things that you have mentioned with dd1 when she was doing this, but it is the fact that he is so young that is making it difficult - he genuinely doesn't understand that he can't have x because he didn't eat y, and there really isn't any way of explaining to him as he doesn't have any words at all. I agree about not giving him anything different, but therein lies the challenge as he just won't eat.

He is bf, and 3 feeds a day is normal - 6am, 2pm and 6pm. His meals are at 7am, 11am and 5pm - I have been wondering whether it is about time to cut the 2pm feed, but it does seem to me that the solids are first every time (except breakfast, and I have no problems with him eating breakfast) so I'm not sure if the milk is interfering. Also, I don't actually think he is not eating because he is not hungry - it does seem to be entirely related to him wanting something different or wanting to do it himself. He has spent a lot of time crying from hunger in the last week, between supper and his bt milk, so it's hard to know if the milk is the issue, yk? And I don't spend a lot of time trying to coax him - if he is refusing to eat then I put it away and he gets down from the table. I keep going back and forward on whether to let him have fruit anyway so that he is eating, and not giving him anything else because it feels like he will work out pretty quickly that he will get the fruit anyway so there's no incentive to eat the main course.

As for what he has eaten over the week, what I posted was pretty typical for every day over the last 10 days - loads of breakfast, something that he could eat by himself for lunch and then no tea at all. He did have tea today, which is good, so he has had a really good day, but I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow.

Offline rlkoh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 14:22:40 pm »
I don't know if this helps, but my son is a picky eater as well - although I can't get him to eat stuff like chicken nuggets or fish sticks, he's more of a "give me fruit or peas" kinda guy.  Still, we only offer him what we are eating as well and if doesn't eat it then we don't offer him anything else.  I bf LO for 13 months and then switched to soy formula (got pregnant again and milk supply dried up) but we still give him about 24oz a day, or three 8oz bottles but he only gets his afternoon and evening milk (he's now 17 months) about an hour or two after lunch or dinner.  We still give him milk first thing in the morning because usually it puts him back to sleep for another two hours and then he's ready for breakfast.  Maybe if you move your 5pm nurse session to right before bedtime?  Our LO gets his last milk while we are getting him ready for bed around 7:30 - he has eczema so it takes time for us to slather him all up with lotions and potions and his bottle keeps him still while we get him ready.  Also, if he hasn't eaten well at dinner, then we give him an extra ounce or two to help tide him over.

Since my husband and I both work, we don't get home with our LO until around six, and dinner is not usually ready until 7.  I've started putting out a little fruit/veggie tray for my guys to snack on while they wait.  LO is really into raspberries right now, but I've caught him munching on carrot sticks and celery - although he usually spits it out because he's still not a competent chewer, but at least he's trying it!  I can't get him to eat carrots any other way, raw or cooked, so this is encouraging too.
Michael Alexander 2.26.11
Ella Madeline expected soon! 11.21.12

Offline clazzat

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 19:04:37 pm »
Thanks, rlkoh. I appreciate the advice. It seems, though, that it was just a phase - he is back to eating normally again, with a couple of new teeth to show for it, so perhaps he just didn't like having something put into his mouth when it was sore.

Offline isabelleyap

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 11:53:43 am »
Hi .. I am going through the same thing here . And it is really frustrating seeing DD not eating . She is holding on to fruits and biscuits .  I tried putting her down her high chair when she refuses to eat her meal . Then she will keep on crying . I know she is hungry . But she just doesn't want to eat the meal prepared . She is insisting and waiting me to offer her fruits . Well I guess I have been reinforcing it previously where I am afraid she is not eating enough , so I offer her fruits and she will take some bite of the proper meal when she has fruits . But sometimes not ...  But now I am trying to change the eating pattern .  Is there any advice on how did you do it ?

Offline clazzat

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »
I just kept on giving him the meals that he was supposed to have, tried to make sure that there was one meal everyday that I knew he would eat so that I found it easier to be firm and not give him something different when he was refusing, and let him have some fruit but nothing else. I also used to rely on him having more bedtime milk to make sure that he wasn't going to be hungry.

It only took a couple of weeks for him to get over it, so it is worth hanging in there to see if it is just a phase.