Author Topic: Waking up at night hungry at 12 months?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline EricaM31

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 20, 2012, 19:08:38 pm »
My lo has been sleeping through the night, 7am to 7pm since 6 months old.  About 2 weeks ago he started waking in the night.  We give him a bottle he slugs it down and is back asleep.  Can a growth spurt last this long?  He eats 3 solid meals a day and 2 snacks.  We give a bottle in the morning, a bottle before his nap and 1 before bed all 8oz.  Not sure why he is waking hungry.  Aren't I supposed to be bringing down the amount of formula he is drinking at one year old and even transition to cows milk?  Can't seem to want to do this since he is still so hungry?  Any help / advice??

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
Re: Waking up at night hungry at 12 months?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:57 am »
it is possible it started as a GS and is now a habit.

wondering what he eats during the day and how much?

also, any sign of teething?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:47:41 am »
Hi
Do you think he is drinking enough water in the day?  He might be taking the milk at night (and the day bottles) from thirst if he doesn't have much water with his solids meals.  Also agree with pp that it could have begun with GS and now become habit.

I would just offer water in the night as a GS doesn't usually go this long.
I would also reduce the number of milks in the day too so that he has more space in his tummy for solids.  When they are really little milk is what they need but at this age the priority is more towards solids.

Offline EricaM31

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 21:57:30 pm »
well now he has been waking at 5am and seems hungry, I have been giving him milk in a bottle then he goes back to sleep and wakes at 7:30am and has breakfast (cereal and fruit).  Maybe I should just be giving him water?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 07:00:43 am »
If you truly think he is hungry then continue with the milk but I would think the 5am WU is more routine/development based.  Possibly OT or teething discomfort or habit causing a 5am WU but he is then soothed by the milk and going back to sleep.
Really with 3 bottles of 8oz he is at the high end of milk intake (24oz) during the day and this night feed is not necessary or desirable for his age.  The guidance is a max of 20oz per day inclusive of dairy solids.  That 5am bottle would be taking him up to more like 32oz plus whatever butter, cheese, yogurt and milk is used in his solids meals.  So you can see it is a bit on the high side really.
Here's a link with milk intake info:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67569.0

Are you able to sooth him back to sleep without feeding (ie shush/pat or your usual method of comforting)?
Do you feel it could be habit, teething pain or routine based WU?