Author Topic: Talk to me about babyproofing  (Read 5710 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Talk to me about babyproofing
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 04:50:18 am »
You could go crazy with this stuff!! We've also tried to get the dangerous stuff out of reach instead of just locking it up IYKWIM. In that like others we put al of the chemicals on high shelves in the laundry and the knives and such are also kept up high.

I did have a babyproofing fail today though- i have babyproofed the bathroom cupboard by putting a hair band around the 2 doorknobs. At the moment it works- EXCEPT he can open it JUST far enough to wedge his hand in up to his wrist and then get totally stuck!! So- in this case the solution may cause more damage than the original hazard!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:19 am »
Katy, many of the cupboard/drawer locks are like that anyway!  They allow the drawer to be opened just enough to get fingers stuck in there.
Like bec said they learn really quickly where they are not allowed to go in if they are consistently ltold and redirected.  I don't have enough cupboard space to give one over to DS but he does have his own cooker in the kitchen and a box full of kitchen toys to go with it.
I've found that at each developmental stage he will re-test the rules on everything so at the same time, or just after, a bout of SA there is also a phase of doing all the stuff he knows he shouldn't, just to see if those rules remain the same.  It's at those times that you need to be consistent again if your LO re-tests the way mine does.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 11:48:08 am »
Only have a minute but wanted to say LIDL's deal of the week was stair gates for £15. 

Something like this one:
http://www.lindam.com/product/safety-gates/safety/easy-fit-plus.html

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:56 pm »
Henry was into absolutely everything at an early age so we had and still do have...
stairgates top and bottom of the stairs
plug socket covers
cupboard locks
we also had some thick padding along some exposed brick but it did not last long and he kept ripping it off.
I also tried a toilet lock as he was ALWAYS trying to get in the darn thing but it did not work very well.

For me cupboard locks are a must. One time I was in the kitchen and putting washing on and he managed to take a liquitab out and bit into it. Worst moment of my life. He was fine but so scary.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!