Author Topic: At what age did your LO drop to 1 drink of milk/day?  (Read 4552 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
At what age did your LO drop to 1 drink of milk/day?
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:45:36 pm »
That's it really.  Just curious.

Oh, and what time do they have that milk?

L is still on two cups milk/day:  one with breakfast, the other about 45 mins after dinner, before her bath + BT.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
Re: At what age did your LO drop to 1 drink of milk/day?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56:36 pm »
We dropped O's morning bottle at about 15 months.  He only has 1 BT bottle now (yes we are still having bottles!)  which he has at about 7.10pm, after bath/pj's.  When he's had it we do nappy change, teeth brushed & bed.  I can't get him to have his milk from a cup (though he drinks water from it fine) & I can't bring myself to push him to switch as I can't face the upset!  Coward!

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 18:02:56 pm »
I believe it was around 15months for DD also.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:08:39 am »
ds1 was on 2 sippy cups of milk a day at 15mths, one with lunch and one with dinner. we started by offering 1oz milk in sippy cup with dinner and taking 1oz out of bedtime bottle, gradually switching it all to a cup of milk at dinner over about 2 weeks.

ds2 cold turkeyed himself off bottles and sippies of milk (was on breakfast and lunch sippy and bedtime bottle) at 15mths after illness. he only started drinking milk again at 2yo.

both boys now have a cup of milk with lunch and dinner (4.5 and 2.5yo). note we do dinner a bit later than most at 6pm so with a 7.30pm bedtime they arent hungry inbetween. i imagine if u had an earlier dinnner then it may be harder to not have the milk as a 'snack' closer to bedtime???

Offline cath~

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:14:54 pm »
thanks guys.

I had assumed LOs stayed on 2 milks/day for longer but that's good to know some drop to 1 milk during their 2nd year.

Huntersmummy - yes, L currently has dinner around 5pm and BT is at 7pm.  Breakfast is around 7am usually (she gets up around 6 - 6.15am).  So if I don't offer her anything after dinner, I wonder if it will be too long a time until breakfast. 
On the other hand, we are PTing at the moment and she's doing really well during the day (just 1 accident/day most days).  I don't expect her to be dry at night yet but we are getting some NWs which I am wondering could be because she needs to pee... So I am wondering whether to cut/move her evening milk..  Really not sure though!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:33:56 am »
if u wanted to, u could try a 5.30 dinner with cup of milk or maybe try that when she is a little older, as realisitically she is quite young to be dry at night anyway. ds1 def had nw from feeling the need to pee at night after being toilet trained but he was dry at night consistently until 3.5yo and that was with last drink being milk with dinner (tho i highly suspect he was drinking some of the lovely bath water  ::) )

Offline cath~

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 06:56:41 am »
Hi, yes, I don't expect L to be dry at night yet. Just wondered if I could move/skip milk to avoid NW due to needing to pee. later dinner is an option 3 days/wk but not the other 4 (childcare) so might wait b4 try that.
NWs seem to have diminished last couple of nights so I think it might have just been a blip as she got used to being PTd during the day.
Thanks for your reply - it's good to hear from some one who's BTDT :) and LOL re the bathwater too. L like to pretend it is a cup of tea and drink it. Although I'm trying to teach her bathwater is only for the ducks, but I'm not sure she believes me!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »
Hi Catherine
My DS has been on basically one milk for quite a long time.  He does get the chance of two milks, but he has so little at the second one that it's almost not worth counting.  And it's been this way quite some time (trying to remember when, possibly 12/13 months).  He has a large milk in the morning before breakfast (this one is a straw bottle) and at dinner/supper I offer a sippy of milk which he has a few sips of.  That is around 5.15pm.
After this he is offered a sippy of water right before bed just in case he is thirsty.  BT is 7pm.  He often refuses, sometimes takes a sip, rarely takes a 'drink' (even so it is not much).
He never wakes hungry in the morning, there is usually 30 mins minimum between WU and milk and he isn't bothered by it (with EW we are now waiting for the lights to come on to tell us ist is day time, then there is some time on potty before we head downstairs, and then I prepare his milk and meds...the time just slips by).

He is not dry at night and there was a couple of times I thought he was waking with need to pee but this seemed to be a phase.  I do notice when he using the potty well in the day his night nappy is less wet.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 05:47:03 am »
2 years nearly 2 months, 1 cup on waking around 6am, 1 cup at bedtime around 6:45pm.  Sometimes a third at afternoon snack time.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 07:39:53 am »
We have a small sippy (100mls) with lunch before nap and a bottle (same as you Claire ;) ) before BT. We also have struggles with a cup - though water is fine but I think I did a mistake going from Bf at BT to bottle, oh well ::)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:37:03 am »
sara, i dont think that's a mistake at all hun, it's exactly what i did and loads of mums do. if he is happy drinking milk from a sippy at lunch then i think he'll be fine when u r ready to ditch the bottle (no rush). just start offering some milk in a sippy with dinner and gradually increase it whilst slowly cutting milk in bottle.  :-*

Offline cath~

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:10:15 am »
Thanks guys :)
L doesn't seem to be waking to pee any more so gonna stick with the 2 cups until there seems to be some other reason to drop one. She usually drinks all of both of them at the moment, sometimes not all of the evening one though if dinner was big/late, but most of it.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:25:23 am »
Thanks for the advice :) ill try offering at dinner and dropping 50mls at BT ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 04:26:47 am »
sara, no worries hun. i'd prob wait til he is clear of teething and u r no longer Qing reflux before making any changes tho.  :-*

catherine, good to hear nights have settled. i forgot to add too, that another reason i stuck with 2 cups of milk a day instead than the 1 cup HN advised is that their daily calcium needs increase at 4yo (500mg for 1-3yo, 700mg for 4-8yo), so rather than try and convince a 4yo to start drinking more milk, i figured it was easier to keep 2 small cups as part of regular routine until then, plus daily yoghurt and cheese to meet requirements.

Offline cath~

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 11:43:09 am »
Thanks huntersmummyinoz.  I hadn't realised calcium needs go up as they get older (but makes total sense when you think about it - they are bigger after all!).  Will def keep offering 2 cups/day for now.  Might just move the 2nd one (in a bit) to dinner time or see if she'll have it as/with her afternoon snack.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline abaker89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 15:56:35 pm »
My 5 yr old (turned 5 in May) recently dropped to one cup of milk a day, she has it only at bedtime now.  Before that, she had it at naptime and bedtime.  Yes, she just stopped napping, actually I stopped her nap since she starts Kindergarten in the fall.  She is a big eater tho and very hungry all the time so we continued the milk till she didn't want it anymore.  Maybe that wasn't the right thing, who knows.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 16:04:44 pm »
my 5.5 yo has 2 cups still and my 2 yo has 3. Calcium is super important and I will be keeping his at this level. I take a cup a day as well and probably should do 2!

They also do cheese and yogurt in their meals i'd say every other day but I am not counting that....
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 16:28:55 pm »
We are pretty heavy milk drinkers over here as well so DS at 2yrs 8 mo drinks 2-3 sippy cups a day, sometimes 4.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 16:59:10 pm »
and to clarify we love ours as whole and dont touch skimmed stuff
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline cath~

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 18:20:28 pm »
Moved L's milk from between dinner and BT to dinner time today.  She was so excited to get milk with her dinner! She drank it all and ate all her dinner too so that's good.  I usually give her some yoghurt at dinner but have moved it to lunch instead.

Based on all your advice I'll def be keeping the two cups as long as poss.  Thank you!

Oh, and L has whole milk too :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 09:38:30 am »
She was so excited to get milk with her dinner! She drank it all and ate all her dinner too so that's good.

that's great news! x