Author Topic: 10 month old drinks very little milk - 8oz a day  (Read 6718 times)

Offline lamx8810

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old drinks very little milk - 8oz a day
« on: June 23, 2012, 19:24:52 pm »
My DS will be 10 month old tomorrow. I have weaned him when he was about 8.5 months old. At first, he took very little formula, about 12oz a day which i thought had to do with the introduction of bottle. After awhile, he started to drink about 18 - 20oz of formula a day which is fine.

However, since June 7, he drinks less and less formula. I am currently giving him 4 bottles a day at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7am. He sleeps thru the night. Even when he woke up at 7am, he would take only 3 - 4oz of milk lately which i find is unusual. Although I have recently caught a cold (symptoms showing starting Thursday), i don't think sickness is the cause of it cause he hasn't been drinking much milk dating back 3 weeks ago! I try to mix milk with his solids which would give him roughly 12 - 14oz of milk a day. For his mid-day feedings at 11am and 3pm, he would take only 1 - 2oz. I am not sure what to do and I have been feeding him milk first and will give him solids an hour after with the exception of his 7pm bottle. He has dinner at 5pm. I tried to give it to him in a straw cup. Not interested either. Though he would use a straw cup for water.

Basically, this is his schedule:

7am - Bottle (3 - 4oz now)
8am - Breakfast (about 4oz of fruit purees and 2 tbsp of cereal mixed in), 2 - 3 tiny pcs of chedder cheese
10am to 11am - 1st nap
11am - Bottle (1 - 2oz)
12 - Lunch (about 1 oz of meat puree + 2 oz of veggie + 60ml yogurt)
230pm - bottle (1-2oz)
3pm to 4pm - 2nd nap
5pm - Dinner (5 tbsp of flavored cereal)
645pm - Bottle (2 - 3oz)

I don't think he is eating much solids for his age either  :( . Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!!

Iris

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 10 month old drinks very little milk - 8oz a day
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 19:46:34 pm »
The first thing to try is to drop to 3 bottles so you will do wake up, lunch earlier after his first nap then bottle before his 2nd nap and bedtime bottle. Have you tried bringing tea a bit earlier too to see if that helps the bedtime bottle?

It doesn't look like he is eating big amounts of food but you could also try just giving finger foods for lunch as that could make him hungrier for his pre-nap bottle. You are doing the right thing by adding extra dairy to his food though.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline lamx8810

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 20:17:12 pm »
Thanks Laura,

Yes, I am thinking about giving 3 instead of 4 bottles. However, I am not sure if that will work cause even waking up at 7am, he wouldn't take much milk which surprises me. He should be really hungry after 12 hours.

Also another problem with the solids is that he gags a lot when i offer him purees. At first I thought it's b/c of the bigger pcs that i left in there causing him to gag but he would gag eating cereal.. so i am not sure what's the reason. So i am not certain if i should offer him finger food.. although I am trying to give him banana and avocado (in small pcs) at breakfast time. However, I have to cut back on that cause I have to mix in some milk to increase his intake.

I am really worried that he is not getting enough but he pushes bottles away and i just couldn't get him to drink more milk!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 21:08:39 pm »
Does he have any digestive issues like reflux? They do a lot of gagging with solids but it may be worth getting it checked out if he's not making progress.

Have you tried mashing rather than purees? Lumps in puree is hard to deal with but thickening the texture often works better. With finger foods it's better to offer bigger chunks than little pieces. We followed the Baby Led Weaning principles and offered spears of food that were soft enough to gum but big enough to hold in the hand with a bit sticking out that way they have control over how much goes in their mouth, small pieces are much harder to deal with.

Laura

Offline lamx8810

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 14:01:28 pm »
Hi Laura,

No, My LO doesn't have any digestive issues. He was having no problem with his solids food until a month ago. He would finish his meals very quickly b4 but now he is taking his time..usually hold food in his mouth instead of swallowing it and also gags a lot.

So, i tried giving him 3 bottles instead of 4. It seems to work better for the mid-day feed. For yesterday,

7am - 3oz of formula
240pm - 5oz of formula
645pm - 4oz of formula

A total of 12oz of formula.

He only took 3oz of formula waking up this morning and i had to give him the bottle numerous times and he took another oz. I still don't understand why would he drink only 3oz of milk after almost 12 hours of sleep.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 14:07:50 pm »
Have you taken him to your Dr to get him checked out? Maybe he has a sore throat or sore ears? Ear infections can be symptomless sometimes but can really put them off sucking and eating. Have you got him on the fastest flow teats for his bottle type?

Laura

Offline lamx8810

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 13:55:17 pm »
so it's been almost a week since i have cut down to 3 bottles. DS is still not drinking much milk. For the first few days, he would drink 4 - 5 oz during the mid-day feeding. Not any more. He is back to 3oz per feeding, so a total of 9oz maybe. I guess he is just not interested in formula anymore? I wonder if this will change if i introduce homo though i want him to drink formula for as long as possible. I am just worried that he is not getting all the nutrients that he needs. Has anyone given their little one any vitamin supplements?