Author Topic: goats milk formula?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline RosieMac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
goats milk formula?
« on: June 26, 2012, 15:15:39 pm »
Hello all,

My LO is 7 months old and I BF and am also doing a combination of BLW and purees (more the purees though to be honest).

I was speaking to a naturopath and she mentioned that too much dairy is not the best for LOs because it gives them so much gas and builds the mucus up (i.e they get very snotty). I don't take much dairy myself (more soy, goats milk etc) but I do love my cheeses and am not extreme in the sense that I cook with cows milk/cheeses as well and will also put some cows milk and cheese in my LOs purees.

With this in mind, I am trying to find a goats milk formula that is as good as the other baby formulas (i.e. has all the necessary vitamins/minerals etc) for my LO. I am returning to work in six weeks and although I will try to express my breast milk to feed him for his lunch feed (I will still be able to feed him his breakfast and dinner milk feeds), I know that it will get hard at times and want to be able to give my LO formula.

Does anyone use goats milk formula and if so, is there a recommended brand?

Thanks and regards

Rosie

Offline lilybug25

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 15:30:04 pm »
Hi Rosie,
I make goat's milk formula for my "allgeric to everything" DD2 and have since she was 3 weeks old, she is 8 months now.
First goat milk formula is made not bought, it's made at home, I know there are alot of different recipes out there, my naturalpath gave me a very simple easy to make recipe that takes a very short time to make everyday.It does have everything that is needed for baby, has all the vitamins/minerals that regular formula has. has the sugar baby needs and the whole goats milk I use actually has chunks of fat in it.
It also cost about the same to make (after the first trip to buy all the ingredients) as regular formula each month.
HTH

Offline RosieMac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: goats milk formula?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:59 am »
Thank you! I'll see what my naturopath's recipe is.  :)

Rosie

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: goats milk formula?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:21:03 am »
There is a goat's milk formula available I *think* it's called Nanny Care. However (this may have changed but I can't find any recent links) it has been banned for sale in the EU because it's not as nutritionally complete as cow's milk based formula and goats milk is higher in sodium than cow's milk which could have an impact on a baby's kidneys. The general consensus also is that goat's milk protiens are so similar to cow's milk that if there is a cow's milk protien intolerance or allergy it would be the same with goat's milk (and soy).

The WHO recommends only breastmilk or formula up until 1 and they need a MINIMUM of 20oz a day to get their nutritional needs met.

I know making formula seems to be working for PP but we strongly advise against it here - the risk of making your baby ill through contamination and it being inappropriate nutritionally is very, very high.

Laura