Author Topic: 13 week LO feeding problems  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
13 week LO feeding problems
« on: June 24, 2012, 00:23:24 am »
My 13 week old DS seems to be going through somethign as everything- his naps, his moods (actually very talkative and happy) and now his bottle feeding is an issue. He was born at 7 lbs. 13 ounces. Now 14 lbs. 2 ounces. Eats about 30-35 ounces a day. Has #3 teat for avent bottles. On gentlease formula. Drinks his formula very fast and stops when he is done and will not eat more.

We were on 3 hour easy since 4 weeks old. Around 2 weeks ago, he started to have short naps and seemed disinterested in every other bottle, eating 8 ounces, and then only 3 the next, and then waking from nap hungry. We thought lengthening the time between feeds may even that out. Changed to 3/3.5 easy yesterday.

Well, now he is eating even more at one feed and even less at the next- he was drainaing his bottles so we kept upping them. We just changed to a 3.5/3 hour EASY. Today he took 9 ounces at 6:30am (drained bottle), 4 ounces at 10am, 8 ounces at 1:30pm (drained bottle), and then 2 ounces at 4:30pm! He spits up when he drinks too much and gets fussy early from his naps.

The issue is- 1) should I limit the amount of formula in his bottles to make it more even- say 7 ounces max in each? I don't want to not feed him if he is hungry
2) do I need to change to EASY 4 hours?
3) Just give 3.5 hours more time?
4) smaller teat to slow him down, maybe take more breaks to slow him down to eat less?

He is having so many issues with short naps and irritability when he was a textbook baby and is so sweet . I just don't know what to do!

Thank you!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 13 week LO feeding problems
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 19:36:14 pm »
I would stick with a 3.5 hour EASY for a few days to let him get used to it and see how things are going. You will probably find that you can't do a proper EASY, especially if you go to 4 hour feeds as his A time won't be up for it. What you wil end up doing is EASAES or some variation until his A times catch up, it does work just follow his cues and watch you don't get into a feed to sleep habit when the E comes right before S.

Laura

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 13 week LO feeding problems
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 20:29:02 pm »
Thank you! He is doing better today- maybe overtired yesterday? We are modified 3.5 with 3 in the evening but he is eating better and napping better. We will gradually increase his A time to spread out his feedings, just didn't know what to do about the huge differences in amounts between feeds.

Would you limit the amount of formula at any feeding to even out the amounts?