Author Topic: GF for 2 months... now DF? HELP!  (Read 3753 times)

Offline marensmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 202
GF for 2 months... now DF? HELP!
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:02:45 am »
So as the subject line says, Hayden has been GF for two months now.  Her main problem is reflux, and it's hard to tell if it's actually any better.  Her sleep is better since we went GF, and she has adapted very well to the new restrictions placed on her diet.  So while I HATE GF bread and baked goods of any sort, and the pasta isn't that fabulous either, and my grocery shopping/bill/food prep is now out of hand with how much work this is... I think we'll keep it up.  It's just that it doesn't feel like the answer, YK?

So my next move is to eliminate dairy.  Booo hiss.  Hayden's favourite foods are yogurt, cheese, and milk.  Being GF is really restrictive enough, I can only imagine how expensive the milk alternatives are going to be, and how un-yummy they will taste.  My poor kid.  I know I should be more positive about this, but I'm grieving the loss of what little normalcy this little girl has.

Where do I start?  What are the better tasting substitutes?  What do I need to look out for?  How long of a trial of DF should it take for us to notice a different?  Most importantly, how can I ensure proper nutrition when eliminating an important (and much loved) food group?  TIA
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: GF for 2 months... now DF? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:46:05 am »
You know Nicole in a lot of the books I have read about the GFCF diet it talks about kids craving the very things that make them feel crappy and becomes a vicious cycle.

That said, I'm not sure how to go about replacing milk! Spencer has never had it except for the odd yogurt trial. I hate the taste of soy milk in any form. Coconut milk is a good sub in cooking/baking and there is a brand of "cheese" called Daiya that I hear is the best shredded cheese substitute for pizza/ pasta. We have some, but haven't used it yet.

Does Hayden understand why you are changing her diet? Spencer will not touch anything I tell her will cause gut issues with a ten foot pole if she can recognize what it is.

Nutrition wise, as long as she is getting calcium and some good fats from other sources it isn't an issue. Masyn is mostly DF by choice, as am I.
Heidi

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »
We use So Nice soy milk for Dylan - it's organic and GMO free and no more expensive than any of the other milk alternatives! $3.99 at Superstore, $3.79 at Walmart, $4.99 at Shoppers :o for 2L and it goes on sale for $3.49 frequently. I get the original kind (which I don't love but it isn't horrible) and sometimes the vanilla (which is nice, even for me!).

We buy coconut milk yogurt (Superstore), daiya cheese (for pizza, quesadillas, anything that needs that melty consistency, but we haven't found a good cheese for just eating), becel vegan or earth balance margarine, and natura soy ice cream (only one that's also peanut free). Although expensive at times, Superstore really has been the best place for me to find all these alternatives for Dylan. We haven't had to deal with GF, but they've got great alternatives for that too. I've heard that Bob's Red Mill (I think that's the brand?) makes great GF flour mixes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 16:05:20 pm by Vikki ~ Dylan's mommy »
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 13:29:31 pm »
(((HUGS))) Nicole.

When I was dairy free while BF DS I could not touch soy stuff, but I did use the daiya cheese for melting and it did taste ok. I drank almond milk but I think I read somewhere it does not have proper nutrition for children (although I'm not 100% sure).
Elise

Offline jennyg33

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 13:32:43 pm »
Andrew is 2 and we have recently cut out dairy to try and improve ezcema. We thought it would be so hard as he was eating one or two babybells an yogurts a day and drank loads of milk. We tried rice milk because 50% of kids intollerant of dairy will also be intollerant of soya. Also because some evidence suggests soya can affect absorption of key nutrients. We decided to eliminate one favourite food a week, however he didn't seem to notice when we changed the milk, so within 2 weeks we'd elominated it. He has litle pots of fruit purée instead of yogurts and we call these 'fruit yogurts' he has a carton of apple juice as a special treat when Everyone else has ice cream. I have found that if you know in advance everyone else will be eating something they like that has dairy have ti hand something new and interesting for him or keep some foods for treats only. We are staying with family this weekend and everyone else has been eating brioche, chocolates cakes etc and he has not worried. I've just had lots if interesting fruit to hand for him and a piece of dairyfree cake.
Jenny, mum to Andrew and Aaron

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 16:03:49 pm »
We tried rice milk because 50% of kids intollerant of dairy will also be intollerant of soya. Also because some evidence suggests soya can affect absorption of key nutrients.
Rice milk actually isn't recommended for children under 5 due to the levels of naturally occurring arsenic :-\ It is also extremely low fat. Depending on how much Andrew drinks you might want to try another substitute? Or combine it with coconut milk?

I think that Hayden is too aware and to be satisfied by a piece of fruit when everyone else is having ice cream, tbh. Especially when last week she would have been having ice cream with the rest of them, kwim? We were 'lucky' enough that Dylan's allergies were discovered early - he doesn't know what he's missing and has no framework to compare soy ice cream to normal ice cream. I think making the switch at Hayden's age will be more challenging, but there are loads of great recipe ideas (I just made dairy, egg, and peanut free chocolate 'peanut' butter bars that are AMAZING) and new products that are allergen friendly are becoming more mainstream and more widely available. You can make coconut milk ice cream (Vicki has a great recipe!), soy milk chocolate pudding (I couldn't tell the difference!), gluten and dairy free pizza, etc. etc. I have become a 'batch' cooker (so i make 2 shepards pies and freeze one, or three meat loaves, etc.) to keep quick meals on hand. It's definitely a challenge, and you're right that some things hurt the wallet, but with a system it's much more manageable. :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 16:18:21 pm »
I think that Hayden is too aware and to be satisfied by a piece of fruit when everyone else is having ice cream, tbh. Especially when last week she would have been having ice cream with the rest of them, kwim? We were 'lucky' enough that Dylan's allergies were discovered early - he doesn't know what he's missing and has no framework to compare soy ice cream to normal ice cream.

Definitely agree Vikki, we are lucky in way that Spencer is not at all on the same wavelength as most 4 year olds and she really doesn't care about the fact that what she eats is different.  Now, if I think on how it would go down if I suddenly told Masyn she couldn't have her fav foods that would be daunting!
Heidi

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 18:11:23 pm »
We are big fans of coconut milk here! DS doesn't drink it (but he never really liked to drink ANY milk) but he does love it cooked into things and I like it in my coffee! He also likes and is OK with organic soy yogurt (his favorite is Stonyfield Farms O'Soy vanilla) and has that 1-2 times a week, though now he is tolerating goat milk yogurt OK (knock wood) so we're switching to that. I use goat milk cheese to make his pizza, etc.

BTW, I am gluten free and I really like the Against the Grain bread products (but they do contain dairy) and quinoa pasta, especially the rotelle shape!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 04:55:05 am »
Coconut Milk!!!!! E won't drink the plain stuff so I caved and got her the chocolate for her gf rice crispies. I mean, really the kid doesn't get much else in the way of treats so yup, she gets chocolate milk in her cereal and loves it.

Coconut milk ice cream at Superstore. They make all kinds of stuff and I'm going to be checking it out soon too.

My mom got me a $40 ice cream maker and I put those Motts applesauce/fruit things in them and make them into sorbet. My big girls would rather have that than proper ice cream.

A dairy trial will be a lot shorter than the gf one I'm thinking. Only 10 days to get the stuff out of her system, and if her intestine is healed from the nexium, I wouldn't think that you would have to wait a full six weeks to see if it's worth it or not.

Hugs, I've no idea about the soy cheese though we're going to try some at some point.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline marensmama

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 20:58:03 pm »
OK well DH is totally against taking Hayden off dairy.  Not that he disagrees with it in principle, he just can't stand the thought of having to put her through it.  And he worries that there is no 'fixing' her reflux, that I'm looking for an answer and will cut out foods until she's living off of air and still be no better off.  I get it, he is entitled to his opinion about it and I think we both need to be on board for this to work.  I did promise him that I would check with the GI first before I trial her off of dairy.  So I have to try to coordinate a GI appointment with our many other commitments this summer as it involves another whole day off work, 2 hr ferry ride etc.  :-\

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 21:07:09 pm »
Sorry to hear Nicole. Dairy is very often a factor in reflux but it's hard to say without trying. Would he agree to a two-week trial with a return to dairy if there isn't marked improvement?

Is she on a high quality probiotic?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline marensmama

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 21:14:56 pm »
Well the thing with dairy is that I went on an ED while I was BFing Hayden to try to help with the reflux.  It made no difference whatsoever.  And really, if I was strongly convinced that it would make a difference, I would just tell DH that's what we're doing.  He wouldn't challenge me at all, he defers to me always when it comes to healthcare and childcare.  But, he's not thrilled with the idea and he is feeling very bad for all that Hayden has gone through thus far... and when we talk about it, I cave because I don't want to have to take her favourite foods away from her either.  GF sucks, DF would be way worse.  TBTH, I am willing to wait to see the GI and ask about a dairy free trial because I'm worried about removing an entire food group from her diet and I don't KNOW that it's necessary.  I was reluctant about going GF, I'm way more reluctant about being DF.

Offline marensmama

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 21:15:57 pm »
Oh and we've never been encouraged to add a probiotic to her diet.  Although she eats lots of yogurt with probiotics.  Will ask the GI when we see him if he suggests that too.  :-*

Offline ENMS

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 21:21:56 pm »
I totally get where your DH is coming from - it is a lot of sacrifice to ask a child to let go of her favorite foods 'just to see'. I hope the GI will be able to help you and that you can get an appointment soon enough :-*
Elise

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 21:37:22 pm »
TBH I'd totally go the probiotic route before trying dairy free. This is a GREAT one that has really helped my DS and DD both: http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=V171-10

Offline ENMS

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 22:25:31 pm »
I'm new to probiotics, we are currently using BioGaia but from what I see there is only one probiotic in it.  This product you linked, it's ok to use it for babies?
Elise

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 22:29:50 pm »
My holistic practitioner highly recommended it starting when DS was almost two. I can ask her about babes younger than that if you like - he takes half a capsule daily (I open it and put it in his "juice") and DD takes a full one.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 22:31:22 pm »
sure, if you see her and you don't mind asking her I'd appreciate it :)

I'll see however if I can get it here or not...
Elise