Author Topic: Why do toddlers prefer processed food?!  (Read 19963 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Why do toddlers prefer processed food?!
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 06:49:11 am »
Will he eat more at different meals? Is dinner just not his meal at the moment? Hamish has always been a breakfast guy- so eats big and then eats less by the end of the day. Also- it occurs to me now that maybe he eats most at breakfast as it's ALWAYS THE SAME- you know how babies like predictability and routine. Perhaps the different meals every night are confronting? Get what i mean? It's just a theorey.. Perhaps you could try making up a larger serve of what you are having one night- and then offer him the same thing for a couple of nights- even though you have something different perhaps? Does that make sense? Perhaps the predictability might help? Dunno... just a thought. The thing with processed foods too is that they are always the same- a fish finger that you eat today is the same exactly as the one from next week... maybe this is something?
Good point! Z eats the most at breakie too and it's the same really....I try to be more varied at lunch now because I have more success than with tea. And as H Z eats less as the day goes on...

OMG I'm making pesto nuggets, they sound good!!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:31 am »
I actually food process and GRIND up the chicken to mimick the consistency of the processed stuff but so I KNOW what is in them and can modify as needed.
I've done this quite a few times with little success.  Hence my initial question regarding texture or salt (or something else).  He did eat a small amount of some chicken that I ground and made into little patties (with various flavours etc added) but on the whole most of it is wasted or eaten by me and DP and really although we do enjoy the food on the odd occasion we aren't really burger or nugget eaters.  I do love cooking and I don't mind making additional items for DS (for him to eat at a different time to the family meal because I still think the family meal should be what we eat which any way is adapted to his needs, a compromise of sorts) but I do find it a drag to go through a whole cooking stint purely for DS to then have him only eat one tiny bit or reject it the same as he would if I just gave him what we are eating.

Will he eat more at different meals?
Oh yes for sure.  DS has:
first thing, milk

hour later, breakfast, usually large

mid morning a LARGE snack which really is like early lunch (I seldom eat at this time and sometimes this is at play group where mums don't eat anyway), something like a sandwich, lots of pancakes or lentil mini loaves, bean burgers, oaty flap jacks, something I have made as a thing purely for him and which can be served cold and taken out and about without too much hassle.

mid afternoon (around 3pm to 3.30pm) dinner, this is our family meal, the main meal of the day where we all (if DP is here, otherwise just me and DS) sit down to eat a properly cooked meal together. The timing of this meal is to suit DS, not me.  He eats a huge amount at this time.  This is the time when he gets freshly cooked veg, pasta dishes, home baked pie, fish, chicken etc.

5.15pm his supper.  This is a light snack plus a tiny sippy milk.  Sometimes just fruit, sometimes cracker and cheese, depends what he has had in the day and how hungry he is.  I don't eat at this time either so sometimes I give a bean burger or pancake or whatever has recently been made or defrosted but he doesn't eat a lot of them, just a little.  Really this is just to make sure he isn't hungry going to bed.

(if DP and I are hungry later in the evening after DS's BT we have something light and easy to rustle up or something naughty like a cake with sugar in it!)

Understand the theory that different meals every night could be off putting...DS is the opposite, I cannot get away with giving him the same meal two days running.  No point in making large quantities of spag bol here as he will only eat it the first day.  The second day he just looks at me in disgust, 'What's this?  I've been working my a** off playing and developing ALL day and you couldn't even be bothered to cook a fresh meal?  You lazy, good for nothing.'  He then requests his fruit and if it isn't forthcoming asks to leave the table.  He's quite a character.
However, I do always include in the meal something I know he likes in terms of veg so the entire meal is not something new and different to him.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 08:56:42 am »
LOL!! Crack up!! I believe DS signed 'finished' to me by wagging a piece of chicken at me tonight.. i'll get what i can take! See- I know the point of your questions was about avoiding processed food.. and alternatives... but i would think that you can probably relax if he only picks at his dinner and not offer the processed foods. We generally just offer the rest- so tonight he ate perhaps 1 small piece of chicken.. say 2cmx2cm worth if you can imagine.. a bunch of mushrooms (heaps) and 1 small carrot piece- AND his mandarin.. BUT he'd eaten heaps today- and across the day has probably got protien and iron from other sources. I feel for us that i'd prefer this to offerring him processed chicken nuggets for example that he may eat heaps of... Does that make sense? He really may not be hungry at dinner- but will eat something salty or sugary.. How often do we as adults feel full from a meal, but can be convinced to eat chips or dessert after..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 09:11:46 am »
Had to dash off before I'd finished replying earlier.

Did you say he eats tinned tuna? you could mix that into a tuna bake.. pasta and corn and such?
Yes I make these sorts of meals too.  Canned tuna and canned mackerel, still processed though and maybe it's the salt and texture that is more appealing than fresh mackerel and tuna?

Another question.  Those of you who make things like home made chicken nuggets (pesto sounds good) do you all eat them as a family meal or do you and OH have something else and give the healthier home made nuggets etc to LO?
See I never give DS something that is not part of the meal because I don't want to make more than one meal and because I think this would encourage him to only like the nuggety type foods rather than 'grown up' food iyswim.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 12:26:07 pm »
Ooh!! Found this website!! Haven't had time to look at it.. but the title seemed to be interesting!

http://outoftheboxfood.com/2011/06/30/the-corn-dog-days-of-summer/
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 14:27:56 pm »
We also eat the nuggets, we don't have them often but have them as a bit of a junky meal with oven chips and salad.
Katt

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 21:06:23 pm »
Ooh!! Found this website!!
Well that's opened my eyes Katy.  I've never seen or heard of a corn dog before.  I'd have a go at making some just to see what they are like but I don't think turkey hotdogs exist in the UK...or at least I've never seen them.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 21:10:13 pm »
WE DONT have corn dogs either...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 21:10:53 pm »
the site has other recipes too..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 21:50:28 pm »
I've book marked it. The other recipes look GREAT!
Kale crisps, wow!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 16:17:00 pm »
We all eat the same for lunch time, for tea, my son eats before we do so he either has the same cooked earlier or something else. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with the nuggety foods occasionally but I find because I make my own chicken nuggets I'm not tempted to make them very often.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 20:22:41 pm »
Here in a nutshell is why toddlers - heck, why most people :-\ - prefer processed food: "Your tongue can be fooled and your brain can become addicted to the slick combinations of fat, sugar, and salt pumped into factory-made foods..."

From this article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/food-industry_b_1559920.html

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 20:38:25 pm »
This just reminded me of a show we have on Telly. The food truck. This chef goes around Nz creating heathy alternatives for fast food faves and having them trailed by kiwis ;)

Here are the recipes
http://tvnz.co.nz/the-food-truck/recipes-group-4174247 I've had the fish and chips, it is Devine and uses breadcrumbs and mustard for the crust. :P
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 22:04:17 pm »
hmm... sounds great!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 05:38:14 am »
Bookmarked it!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/