Author Topic: 8 month old only wants to eat breads and fruit- help please :)  (Read 3047 times)

Offline OregonGirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I am a first time mum, and was hoping that someone might be able to advise me on what to do/ expect with my 8 month old daughter who suddenly only wants to eat fruit and breads of any type. We have been doing babyled weaning and she hasn't been too fussy and has always been willing to try new foods up until last week. I'm just not sure what to do since she won't really eat any vegetables- even refusing peas (which have been her favourite) and won't even try to eat any meat offered. I'm worried she is developing a sweet tooth and only wanting to eat sweet things. Should I be concerned? What should I do if she won't even try a new food? So far, I have just kept offering it again at other times. Any advice would be so much appreciated.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 8 month old only wants to eat breads and fruit- help please :)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:31:40 am »
I don't have experience of this particular issue but my 8 month old DD is also BLW & is going through a bit of a difficult patch and I have read it is often because at this age they are due a large developmental leap & will be quite fussy in the run up to it. I would keep doing as you are and offer whatever you would normally offer. I would imagine she will take what she needs and eventually get back to eating in a more balanced way.

If you are concerned you could perhaps try other grains or varying the type of bread so at least there is some variety there.

Have you posted on the BLW support thread? You might see some ideas there from people who have been through this previously. I hope it improves soon for you.
~ Naomi ~

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 8 month old only wants to eat breads and fruit- help please :)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:00 am »
My DS is a fruit fiend and I also find myself worrying at times over the amount of fruit he wants but usually he comes out of it like a phase.  It could be that she is teething or has tooth movement and sore gums even if they are not currently cutting through.  This would explain liking soft fruits and bread which usually is soft and sucks/gums down.

You say she will eat any type of bread, so, have you tried things like cheese and onion ciabbata?  I realise it's more bread than cheese/onion but if she will eat that then there is perhaps a chance that you can add some small amount of 'topping' onto breads.  Grilled cheese and tomato on toast for example, or mashed up peas (or any veg) spread onto any sort of bread like a spread.  Or putting a little filling inside a sandwich (pitta bread or regular bread etc), my DS like canned fish at that age, I used to do a teaspoon or two of canned mackerel with a little mayo and put in a sandwich.

Maybe try some home made muffins, they are quite bread like, carbsy, and if you home bake you can put hidden veg in.  Sweet potato muffins are lovely (a bit like carrot cake) and a great BLW food.
Another good one is the little american/scottish pancakes that many people make.  OK they aren't bread but they have a carbsy nature and make great finger food.  I have made great ones with grated carrot, grated courgette, finely chopped spinach etc in them.
If you don't already make muffins and pancakes there are recipes on the recipe pages.  If you have trouble finding them give me a shout.

But otherwise I think you are doing the right thing to just keep offering different things.  If it goes on a long long time then I'd get more concerned but if it's a phase of a couple of weeks then she isn't going to come to harm.