Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 5  (Read 41674 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 5
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2013, 18:35:25 pm »
(((Hugs))) happy, welcome to the real fun that is the 2-1.......if it gives you any encouragement, J regularly pulled 13h nights once she started refusing the CN and we switched to EBT instead.  You can't control circumstances though, so just get her to bed as early as possible on work days and do super EBT on non- work days if she needs it.  You may find that after a one nap day she is more willing to take the CN the next day, but if not you can either try short am, long pm (I was scared too but it has got us through a few sticky days) or plough on with EBT as much as possible.  OT is inevitable and I wish I'd made my peace with that at the start!  I do think though that at this point EBT (even if its not early enough, if you know what I mean) is the better option than a pm CN, unless she will take it easily at say 3-3.5h A time.  Any later than that it only serves to make the day waaaay too long and causes more OT anyway.  Night sleep is most restorative, so I think the priority has to be maximising that as much as possible if OT is starting to bite.  Sorry she's under the weather too :(. Though knowing our history, given Js unwell it was pretty much going to happen wasn't it?!

All crazy here.  Three naps again and max of 2h20 mins A time ::). Feel like I should be on the 3-2 board!  This virus is just wiping J out :(

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2013, 18:55:18 pm »
Though knowing our history, given Js unwell it was pretty much going to happen wasn't it?!
:) true!!! i should have seen it coming!!!sorry J is still thrown down with it...3 naps....poor pet.
i cna her DD chatting away to DH upstairs....he put her in at 6.30pm...she cried when he left so he's back in there again i presume, sitting with her...ugh.....she is so far beyond OT at this point....such a comfort to know that i'm not the only one though.hugs ladies.xxx

Offline oliversmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:05 am »
Katherine, so sorry to hear that J is sick - hope she is feeling better soon! 

Lilamom, I think you've gotten great advice from the other ladies, so I'll just send you lots of (((hugs)))!

Happy, I feel you on the pain of working and doing EBTs - I work full-time and the absolute earliest BT we can do during the week is 6:30, and that's if we rush dinner, bath etc., w/ DH complaining the whole time about how early BT is and how we never get to spend time w/ DS (which I agree w/ him on the spending time part - even a 7pm BT makes the evening so much better).  FX you get a long night tonight! :)

DS now has a cold and had 2 canines pop through over the last 2 days . . . he's been pretty happy during the day but his naps are getting shorter and shorter . . . today was only 1 hr - I seriously considered trying to APOP a CN this afternoon but decided to do EBT instead . . . however he's already had one NW 30 min after BT . . . I feel like our EBT has become our new regular BT which sucks!  And tomorrow night we can't do EBT b/c his early intervention teacher is coming over after work and she spends 90 min w/ him . . . praying we don't get an EWU tomorrow morning.

I think maybe our morning A times are too long - DS takes his best naps at the sitter's w/ shorter A times - I think I worry that if I put him down too early and he takes a short nap, then we'll have a REALLY long A to BT (but not long enough to do a CN and a decent BT - if he'll even take a CN anymore).  Plus it's hard to put him down for his nap when he's happily playing and not showing tired signs. . .ugh - I'm so tired of analyzing this to death and then most days getting it wrong!  I feel like we've been at this FOREVER . . . and I'm already stressing about the 18 mo regression which is around the corner! ::) 

I hope better days are ahead for all of us! :)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:44 am »
Oh gosh,i hadnt even thought of the 18m thing!
Bad night here.NW@midnight+awake crying@6.30am.
So awful to know if i could just figure out her sleeptimes,
she wouldnt b upset.dont know what to do.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2013, 07:32:53 am »
(((Hugs))) happy, could your childminder give her a short nap this morning around 9/9.30 (30 mins or so) and then try for a longer nap around 12.30/1ish?  She'll get through this, you both will, but we're all here to hold hands :)

(((Hugs))) to you too OM - colds are rubbish :(. And boo to teeth - Js cutting her 4th molar whilst being ill which is just adding to the fun here!  I'm going back to work in Feb three days a week so that will pretty much cut out EBT for us too.....which is not good given that the only time J has slept at nursery it was for 35 whole minutes :o. Guessing my days at home will be majorly grumpy catch up days......

Offline *happy*

« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2013, 18:48:13 pm »
oh dear K, has she not slept there since?
didnt get a chance to see your comment re nap till now.....she slept 2.5hours at CM's, thank god!at least she's had one restoritive nap....eventually.....
tried for EBT (although it's not really EBT since she was up at 6.30am)  at 6.30pm but she's started crying now as soon as we try to leave the room....i'm gonna post elsewhere re that....so upsetting seeing her upset.....oh....DH just came down....she's asleep....15 mins of upset, but big improvment on the past few BTs.....

question for ye.....should i aim for 12 hour days if she does a 2+ hour AM nap?

Offline bklynbb

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2013, 23:45:57 pm »
hi everyone! i just posted on the other forum and mycatmonet kindly suggested i come visit y'all over here...so here i am and here's our story:
I think we are entering 2-1..DS is 13 mths... a good sleeper, previously on 2 naps at around 930ish and 2ish (for a total of ~3 hrs) and then STTN from 7ish to 7ish. Over the past few weeks there have been a few monster naps (either morning or afternoon) combined with a few nap refusals (either morning or afternoon, but usually afternoon) and a few late sleep-ins (till 745ish). Now for  the past 3-4 days, he's been taking longer and longer to fall asleep in am, but usually does fall asleep by 10 (naps about 1.5 h), but I can't get a 2nd nap out of him. I've tried A's of anywhere from 2.75 to 3.5 h...anything longer would get us too late in the day. He's definitely tired and tries to go to sleep but after about 45 min of trying, he gives up.

So,  couple q's:
- Do I just start pushing morning nap out? I usually put him in at 915 but hes not going to sleep these days until 10 am ish.
- Do I still try for CN if it seems like he needs it?
- How early are we talking for EBT? He's usually in bed by 645/7ish (when he was on 2 naps) but probs didnt go to sleep till around 730ish. Today he napped 1.5 h in morning and then "rested" from 245-345. He was in bed by 615....should it be earlier?

Thanks, in advance, for the guidance!

Offline bklynbb

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2013, 23:51:24 pm »
One more q...
In the afternoons when I put him down, I do find that he rests, but it's only for 20-30 min or so. We have a video monitor, and he's resting not playing. But I have no idea if he is sleeping or not. His naps were usually always at least 1 hr, so I figured he couldnt have been sleeping for only 20 min...but maybe he is? Would this be considered a CN? And should I continue with it?

Offline lilamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2013, 00:25:07 am »
Hi there!  Wish I had more advice for you mommas who are going through it-- the help and support has been so great!

So... we've finally settled on an AM catnap and a long PM nap (an easy solution but I really agonized over it).  The past few days have looked like

7/7:30am: awake
10:30-11am: CN
2-4:15pm: nap
7:45pm: bed

I'm still having to wake her from the PM nap!!! She loooooves it.

I'm just worried that her WU time is going to keep inching earlier.  Our schedule was pretty similar before Christmas (except with a 1 hour + AM nap) and WU kept getting earlier til we got to 5:45am!  I'm afraid the same is going to happen again.  She seems to do better with a shorter (3.5-3.75) A time before bed.  Any advice??  She was awake before 7am this morning, compared to 7:30am the previous two.

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2013, 06:40:42 am »
hi bylynbb glad you found us over here! Your am A seems quite short, ours was too, so we started pushing it out a bit. I have been told that the am A needs to me more like 4.5hr plus to be ok on one nap, can anyone confirm? But all los are different, of course. But if you have nap refusal and your lo isn't going to sleep quickly for the am nap, it might be worth making that am a longer for a start? you could also cap the am nap and try for a longer pm nap, that's an option too, without going cold turkey to one nap?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2013, 06:44:37 am »
(((((Hugs))))) everyone who's having a difficult time of this. It will get easier!

Bklnbb - a 20 min nap is definitely long enough to be a CN. You can either choose now to push the morning nap out, allow LO to sleep for as long as he wants and then after a normal A time try a CN, you might have to wake him after 20-30 mins & then look to see if BT works 2.5/3hrs later (this A might need a little work once you settle on the pattern). Alternatively you can keep your am nap where it is but wake him from that one after 30 mins and then put down again early afternoon and let him sleep as long as he likes. Different Los seem to prefer different patterns. We went for early long nap as DD was bad at naps so I wanted to make sure she got one good nap in and if she short napped in the am I could always try for a longer one in the afternoon.

If you get a nap refusal in the afternoon you will need to do EBT which can be as early as 6ish (or on an absolutely terrible nap day - super EBT perhaps 5.30ish). You'll soon find out if your LO can tack on the missed day sleep to his night. Good luck.

Lilamom - you might find that you get early WU again but it is less likely with a short capped nap first thing as LOs body learns they're not going to get a restorative nap then. Oh won't know if you don't try it, and realistically try it for at least a week to let the pattern settle. We're all here to hold your hand if it doesn't quite go as you'd like. Good luck.

Posted at same time as Caitlin - I agree that A time needs to be nearer to 4.5 hours for at least one of the days' A times for your LO to consistently manage on one nap.
~ Naomi ~

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2013, 07:32:53 am »
Lilamom - if you start getting WU creeping earlier I'd probably cap your pm nap at 2h and keep BT the same :)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2013, 14:36:02 pm »
I think J is getting better.....naps have gone rubbishy on short A times which is probably a good sign, though making her OT in the process *sigh*.  Today we've had a 55 min nap and a 45 min nap which I'm currently praying she'll resettle from otherwise any sort of reasonable BT is a way off.  How can she go from minuscule A times to needing long ones again overnight?!

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2013, 20:02:46 pm »
So I jinxed myself. M will be 21 months old later this week and is still a 2 nap a day kind of girl. I was trying to do 1 nap a day every other day, and there were two occasions where she slept 2 and 2.5 hours. But this week the naps have both been under 1.5 hours. I put her to bed about an hour earlier then and she ends up doing a 13 hour night.
I'm not sure whether I should push her to do one nap a day every day, whether to give her a cat nap in the morning, or whether to just push her morning naps further and further back. Here's our EASY:

2 NAP DAYS:
7:15 am wake up
10 nap (lately she's been taking 30 mins to go to sleep so actual sleep time is 10:30 - 11:45ish)
2:45/3 nap (again, she's been taking 30 mins to fall asleep and the odd time has not slept at all, sleep time is usually 3:15-4:15)
7pm bedtime

1 NAP DAYS:
7:15 am wake up
12:30/1:00- 2:00/2:30 nap
6:15 bed time

*There was one day last week where she had a cat nap in the morning and a cat nap in the afternoon (total sleep about 1 hour), and the following day she did a 2.75 hour nap at 10am and then went down again for 1 hour at 4pm.

She definitely needs her sleep, but I'm finding it hard to figure out the best way to give it to her!

Offline *happy*

« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2013, 20:11:01 pm »
I'm currently praying she'll resettle
did she resettle?hope so!
so, just as i think we are in for serious trouble, DD sleeps 2.5 hours last night!!!!yay!!!sooooo relieved...even if she goes wonky again tonight, at least she  has had some good restoritive sleeps...
she is napping 2.5hrs roughly at the CM's...i'm wondering how long our day should be on just one nap?she was almost 20 mins in her cot tonight before she fell asleep (quiet though, not looking for us & not playing....just not asleep iykwim) she woke this morning at 7.20am & we put her back into the cot tonight at 6.50pm...

mommabear....im totally clueless on these things, but holding your hand!!!