Author Topic: Is LO eating too much?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline allm416

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Is LO eating too much?
« on: July 02, 2012, 20:36:03 pm »
My DD is 7 months & has been on BLW for a month now. She seems to be digesting quite a bit, although with BLW I guess you can never be sure exactly how much, but has not really decreased her formula at all. A typical day looks like this:

6.30 - 8oz formula
7.30 - 2-3 strawberries or 1/3 of a banana, 2-3 teaspoons of yoghurt
11.00 - 7oz formula
12.00 - slice of cheese, several cherry tomatoes (sucks out the inside & leaves the skin), couple of mini rice cakes
4.00 - 7oz formula
5.00 - half an individual quiche or a fish cake or a few pieces of pasta & sauce, couple of medium florets of broccoli, half a pear or a couple of small wedges of melon
6.30 - 8oz formula

It feels like she's eating a fair amount of solids now & I would've thought maybe she would be reducing her milk feeds by now. Sometimes she'll leave an ounce of her BT feed but surely this should be the last one to reduce. Does the above seem too much & should I start to limit her formula or wait for her to start taking less herself?

Thanks for any help 😊

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Is LO eating too much?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 21:01:08 pm »
Hi.  I also did BLW and my DS took to solids in a BIG way.  I remember in that first month though he took MORE milk than he had done for the first 6 months.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It is more of a problem if they drop milk too quickly.

You might think about maybe balancing the meals out a bit.  It looks like dinner is much heavier than breakfast and lunch, this may be why she is dropping a little of the BT milk, just not hungry enough for it.
I don't see why the BT feed should be the last one to reduce.  Milk will see her though the night better than solids will at this age but there is no set order for milk feeds to be reduced and dropped (although you don't want it dropped completely yet).
At times when she is teething she will likely eat very little, at other times she will eat like she has been starved her whole life, it all balances out in the end.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Is LO eating too much?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 21:25:09 pm »
Looks like your LO is a great eater for 7 months! Milk is still most important at 7 months so I would not be looking to reduce bottles yet. Only worry if milk reduces significantly then lay off the solids for a bit.