Author Topic: quick meals for selective toddlers and mum to eat at the same time.  (Read 6382 times)

Offline huby

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: quick meals for selective toddlers and mum to eat at the same time.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 07:37:58 am »
Yes, I like quern sausage one and will try that out, thank you.

Yes, she does like soup. I made pearl barley and chicken one but the stock vibe made it v salty, but it was still nice if not so healthy. I think I need to do more soups, that's an idea and serve with crusty breads....she may eat that.

Yesterday at her childminders i packed her a home made lamb and veg pasty (She rejected it) and then her childminder tried her on mince and rice and veg mixed together (she rejected it) and finally she gave her some plain pasta with no sauce and she wolfed it down :-(

She's definitely getting MUCH worse. Having gone from a baby and young toddler who ate everything to one who won't feed herself or eat hardly anything...ah well, have to keep trying otherwise I'll be hungry too.

Thanks ladies, you are keeping me sane in all of this. It's hard without DH around, even though he can't cook for toffee

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 07:59:35 am »
Do you think maybe she doesn't like things 'mixed up'?
When I make a stew DS eats lots and enjoys it (not the meat though) BUT after a while of him picking or not eating I separate all the different veg out into piles for him so he can see these are mushrooms, these are courgettes etc.  He then eats each pile one at a time so eats just about all of it.  It just occurred to me with you saying she wolfed down the dry pasta.  It sounds picky to have to have foods in different piles but I think I was a bit like this as a child and it didn't have a big effect on my diet as an adult.  I still don't like fruit yoghurt, you know yoghurt with lumps in but otherwise I do now eat mixed up food like anyone else.

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 18:18:08 pm »
LOL, didn't think of that. It's funny as with the goulash, she did eat the cous cous and the meat but picked out the veg and left that.

If I separate stuff, she just eats the meat, generally, not sure it makes a huge difference....I think she's just really bored of the same old stuff I'm giving her. She ate the goulash for lunch and asked for it again for dinner today so it was a winner.

The one thing that really helped was - me sitting down with her and eating a meal with her and us just talking. Sounds obvious, but I'm usually so busy and tired I don't have chance to do this, and the kitchen is separate from the dining room which is a pain so can't do the million and one things I need to usually and get her to eat. I did end up feeding her a bit, but not as much as usual. She still didn't eat huge amounts, but then she had half a banana at bedtime so I think she's ok now. I also tried to move all the distractions from the table - fruit bowl, extra utensils etc, pen and paper - anything that might be there (the blooming cat is another story, but wish she wouldn't sit on the table!)

Hmmm, the joys of having a spirited LO and a spirited cat.

I wonder if I should try a toasted sandwich of some kind - egg maybe for nursery on monday otherwise she comes back home on lunch club day with a full lunch box, every single time.

I may just try wholegrain crackers, some fruit - and any one know any decent protein that does well in lunch boxes (she's sick to death of me giving her chicken now)

MAy try the sausages tomorrow - sound easy and quick. Gosh she's just humming in her bed now and talking to her toys. I though having been swimming this morning she might be tired by now - I know I am. Ugh, but now have to start to work again ....booo.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 18:39:50 pm »
me sitting down with her and eating a meal with her and us just talking
This is very very important IMO.
I've watched other people's kids spin the food guilt web all day long ("I'm hungry," then refuse to eat, then 5 min later "I'm hungry" again) when all they really wanted was someone to go sit with them and keep them company whilst they ate or even better eat with them.
Good for you making a lovely goulash and clearing the table up.  Occasionally I am tempted to 'just do this' at meal time and I almost stand up and then I remember that we are eating and that DS deserves to have that time of the day totally dedicated to attention and the meal.

If she likes egg an omelet travels well cut into strips (but I think you said she only likes scrambled). eggy-bread travels pretty well.

I remember you said she doesn't like pulses but I find bean and lentil burgers are brilliant for lunch box food (made in little patties and fried or baked in a mini muffin tray in the oven), a batch of 24 can be made in one go and doesn't take up a lot of freezer space at all, serve 2 for lunch.  Have you tried with different flavours added, like falafel?  chilli bean burger (can be mild), tom puree added, and tried different range of beans?  I was surprised my DS even noticed the different beans, but he does and there are some he doesn't see to like.  When I make these the oven bake way I find them very time effective because it's just whizz the beans with a few other flavours and an egg thrown in and fill the baking tray.

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 19:56:09 pm »
Thank you :-)
The said cat is now sitting next to me, while I type. I think she's feeling neglected.

Could you tell me what you put in the bean burgers, please? Sound yummy. I could serve with ketchup initially and see how we go.

She asked for lettuce today! BUT I have no shopping in at all today so will have to make some pennies really stretch this week and get cheap things in. The bean and sausage casserole, the curry and the bean burgers could all be great.

What a great idea - eggy toast for lunch boxes, or an omelette - could try this too. Great idea! Thanks.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 21:34:50 pm »
Mostly I make it up as I go along but something along the lines of
A can of beans in water (because I am too lazy to soak and cook beans) the ones that have no added salt or sugar. Drain and rinse them and drain well.
Then either whizz half and mash half or use a potato masher to mush them all up a bit (this only changes the texture, she might like it with them completely whizzed better, this makes a wetter mix so account for that in the later stages).
Add seasoning, for example a spoon of curry paste, or mustard, or tom puree and worcester sauce, or low salt seasoning powder, or pesto, or whatever herbs/spices you have in the cupboard, or even just a dollop of ketchup or bbq sauce!
Egg to bind it all together
whizzed breadcrumbs or couple of spoons of flour (optional but it's good to grains with pulses)
plus any additional veg you fancy (either whizzed so it cooks quickly in the burger or pre-coooked, could be left overs from the day before, mush up and add)
Once I've mixed it all together I either dollop tablespoons of it into a frying pan like a small pancake or form it into patty shapes (pretty random shapes here) and fry.  If you want to change the consistency you can add extra bread or flour to thicken and just a bit of water to loosen.  And if you don't want to stand over the frying pan as this takes longer then shove them in the oven.

Here's one were I actually took the time to write down what I did:
2" cube of mature cheese, grated (this added seasoning and some flavour but leave it out if you think it will put her off)
1 medium courgette de-seeded (to reduce the wetness of the mix)
1 can lentils, drained, rinsed drained (could be beans though)
1 spring onion chopped
3 mushrooms
2 tsp ketchup or bbq sauce
1 egg
0.5 pitta (can be any bread, I just had pitta left over)
low salt vegetable bullion

oven 200c
WHIZZ courgette, mushrooms, spring onion and bread
ADD to lentils, egg ketchup, seasoning and cheese
MIX well
GREASE mini muffin tray (or whatever you have)
BAKE 20 min.

I served some similar to this with flatbread, chili mayo (mayo with a dollop of thai sweet chilli added for me and DP) and mint mayo (mayo with a little mint jelly added for all of us) and a salad.
Mostly I put them in the freezer to use for DS's out and about snack/lunch.
Some little plastic tubs of dip would make it more appealing for a LO.

If you put the oven on for the beans you could put in an individual fritatta for her next day lunch box.  Basically just an egg beaten in a ramekin, add a few bits like a sliced tomato, grated cheese if she will accept it mixed inside things, spring onion, or mushroom... and just let it cook and rise in the oven.  It's like a quiche but without the pastry, stays firm enough to pick up as finger food.

Beans are SO great if you can get her to like them, really cheap (esp kidney beans although these are not DS's fav unfortunately).  I used a can of mexican mix beans yesterday and it fed DS and I for 2 days, one day with tortilla wrap and one day with garlic bread.
I made ours with half can coconut milk, half aubergine, a courgette, an onion and a dollop of tom puree and threw in some spices, ground coriander, cumin, tumeric. Really cheap tasty easy meal and healthy too.

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 23:06:19 pm »
Creations, you really are one impressive woman. Blimey. I'm humbled. I am gonna try those sound absolutely delicious and cheap as chips, so am a happy lady.
I love the fact a lot of those ingredients you have in the cupboard too. Fantastic. And thank you for taking the time to do this swell. Don't know how women like you do it....I only have one and struggle to keep it all going!
I don't have a food processor, but do own a masher so will try it. Really stupid question, but how do you make breadcrumbs without one?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 07:07:51 am »
Hmmm, I don't think you can make breadcrumbs without a whizzer.  If you end up making these regularly (and other things for the lunch box etc too) then maybe invest in a small chopper/whizzer.  Mine really is not big or expensive.  It's so old that I can't find one on-line but having a very quick look I saw something similar for under £20.  I know the thought of buying a food processor sounds expensive, in the hundreds, but it doesn't need to be big, fancy or do loads of different things.

Meanwhile though, you could just add a few spoons of flour which (with the egg) will hold everything together and also add a bit of the grain/carbs aspect to the food.  You don't even HAVE TO add the egg or flour tbh I've done some just mushing the beans and seasoning together and then forming them in my hands and frying but they are more tricky and a bit crumbly to eat (cheese helps to bind too but you mind find she rejects if she tastes it?).

tbh lots of the ones I make are a bit bland, I certainly wouldn't serve them up for a dinner party :) but DS likes them and I'm glad he gets some protein and healthy foods.  I did make some lovely falafel once which was a baby recipe but I really enjoyed them too, not sure what I've done with the recipe for that though.  If I find it I'll post for you.  I think if you were to have these together you'd want to add some more flavour to the mix, you could cook half with an added chilli mixed in for example and then yours would be tastier.
She might like them popped inside one of those mini pitta breads or mini naan, kids seem to like small foods.

And haha, I am not impressive, I just chuck stuff together.  I too struggle to keep things going and I don't work so all my time is for DS.  I do find having that little mixer helps a lot, I can literally throw in egg milk flour and 30 seconds later I have a thick american/scotch pancake batter, I can then add grated carrot, apple, courgette or whatever (even beans!) and fry up about 30 little pancakes.  It's the frying that takes time but sometimes I do it whilst we eat breakfast, always ensuring we eat dinner together as a proper sit down meal.

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 18:53:38 pm »
Gosh, that sounds good.
Not had a great day - boiler broke and is emitting strange gaseous smell which is worrying. British Gas are on their way as an emergency case.
My childminder cancelled because of a virus and i had to file something for deadline thins morning so had to ask my retired neighbours (while I was in my PJs) to have her for a couple of hours while I worked....I tried just putting her in front of the TV but she was having none of it. She wanted to speak and play with me. Thank God for my neighbours though, I would have been lost without them!
Anyway, back to food.....so today, was caught really short! I had no food in as wanted to go food shopping today too and DD just doesn't supermarkets, so had to rush in and out and use ready made chicken from fridge, ready made rice bought and yogurt and chucked some cucumber to the side, and melon for desert. She actually ate it and fed herself!
Now there's progress. I just kept saying, 'wow, super girl is feeding herself' and also gave her some choice (though it wasn't really a choice in the end) over what she wanted for dinner 'this' or 'that'.
Anyway, will probably all be different again tomorrow. God, I wish I had some money and a decent fridge, but it'll get better with time. In the meantime, I will keep on going with the recipes.
Oh tried her on falafel today - she agreed to try it and spat it out saying 'mummy, I think it's horrible'...she ate a quorn sausage instead....(that's the only two things i had in the fridge - shameful!)
xx

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 06:50:41 am »
Oh my, what an awful day!

Was the falafel home made or bought in?  If home made you can try reducing the spice and also mushing the chickpeas much more so the texture is smoother, if she doesn't like the texture of beans this may help, but if she REALLY doesn't like them then no amount of mushing or home made bean burgers etc are going to be of any use to you.  I really hated the texture of beans when I was a kid and I wasn't a 'fussy eater'.

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 10:38:55 am »
I know! The boiler is now condemned....no hot water or heating or anything now! The joys.
The falafels were shop bought, and she just hated the taste, not a fan at all. She said they tasted horrible. ....they were oK.
We literally have NO food in the house today, and the supermarkets are a bit of a drive and get absolutely hectic in London...it once took me an hour to get out of the car park once on a Sat morning. ...I need to be so much more organised than I am

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 14:15:42 pm »
aNOTHER THOUGHT FOR YOU IS THAT I DO A HONEY AND MUSTARD SLAMON. REALLY TASTY AND QUICK!

^^ Sorry!!

I have only made it once but I think it was basically honey and wholegrain mustard mixed, cover the salmon with it and then eithee oven based or fried. Either way would be OK for 10 mins ish. Yummy! Not cheap though with salmon  :P

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 18:16:36 pm »
Hmm, we like Salmon. It's yummy. We use frozen salmon which is much cheaper and wrap it up in foil to retain the moisture. Could always add honey and mustard in it at a later stage.
Thanks. Salmon is nice, for sure.
Thanks

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 18:26:14 pm »
I just reckon you will find some meals that are absolutely loved and then you can either always have the stuff in or make some for the freezer.

I think you've been on my blog before but I did a 10 minute meals post this weekend:  http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/only-10-minutes-to-cook-for-your.html

I think our favourite fall back meal is the fried rice.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 20:30:25 pm »
What bout an online shop? I do it 2save hassle of shopping with kids and is defo cheaper as i dont buy the 'temptation' foods! Xx