Author Topic: quick meals for selective toddlers and mum to eat at the same time.  (Read 6381 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: quick meals for selective toddlers and mum to eat at the same time.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 06:25:18 am »
I see the theory with online shopping but I never found it to be true.  I used to easily get to £90-100 because I'd remember everything for a start (lol) but also I didn't see all of the offers.  I know the theory is offers actually make you spend more but when I go myself I can keep it below £70. 

I also found that whichever supermarket I tried, there would be something wrong.  Now that's ok, they generally are fairly flexible about refunding you but I'd find I'd spend an hour on the computer putting it all together, another 15 mins checking things and another 10 mins complaining.  They'd also often be out of stock on something fairly fundamental, e.g. I'd buy all the ingredients to do a lamb curry and then they'd have no lamb but I'd get all of the other ingredients!  Or once Asda tried to claim that there was no suitable alternative to size 3 simply dry pampers; I mean really?  NO other size three nappies in the shop then?  So then add on another half an hour getting the things they'd missed and you really need or at least reworking what you were going to cook that week!

Generally I find there are a few key things I always have in the house, onions, tinned tomatoes, garlic and lentils for example.  They all keep for ages and that could be a jumping off point for a soup or curry.  I think it's always worth looking through when the cupboards seem bare and think "what can I cook here?"  I bet there's something.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:37 am »
Am heading towards mamacook blog later today when I get five mins.

I literally had bare cupboards, haha. No tins, to onions, no potatoes, no nothing...oh dear. But that was an exception, usually there's something.

I find I can do a pretty good shop at Aldi's - and the quality is actually very good and I can buy a £70 worth shop for about £45 / 50.

I have packed eggy / french toast for her sandwiches today cut into hippo shapes, and some sandwiches rolled up into spirals, some cucumber, raisons, a banana and we'll see how it comes back.

I agree about online shops but if you really are time starved, they can be great, but you do need to know everything you want and then ave it in one of those favourite lists - but yes, inevitably they always run out of what you need and substitute it with something you don't!

Better go, but thanks ladies...i will keep on checking. I have a horrible virus brewing and DH has gone back to work in Ireland now so quick meals will be tested out this week, I think!

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
Oh, sorry...am back before going off again....

DH gets paid on Wednesday so I need to go shopping asap. Can anyone recommend a good shopping list - I always end up with not enough, and too much of this and that.
I just need a good solid shop and never seem to have the correct ingredients - so I'm thinking what's the good basics to have in all the time. The rest I can just add to?

Thanks

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 10:43:08 am »
I feel like i need a shop when i am running out if the following.... My basics are;

Fruit
Veg/salad
Potatoes/onions
tins of toms and baked beans
Pasta
Rice
Chicken pieces
Pork chops
Beef mince
Eggs
Cheese
Ham
Bready products
Butter
Milk

All the meat goes in the freezer.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 19:09:32 pm »
Pretty much the same for my shop, minus the pork, beef, ham...for me it's turkey thigh pieces (for stews and curries etc), turkey mince (for burgers, meatballs, bolognaise) , turkey drumstick or thigh roll (for a Sunday roast). I'm turkey mad.  It's mega cheap and really healthy low fat.
I also always get some fresh fish, mackerel is usually cheap and then there are other specials on which I look out for.

I also have to have flour, self raising, plain and cornflour.  I'm lost without them.
Jars of herbs and spices.  I know fresh taste better but I can't be bothered.  Garlic powder is one of my most loved jars because I can just shake it into or onto anything and don't have the extra minutes of peeling or pressing (and i hate washing the garlic press for some reason).
Plus always some curry paste, I usually have 2 or 3 different ones in the fridge as they last a long time.
Tom puree in tubes.

A space saving tip for fridges.  Recycle any punnets or plastic cartons that fruit/veg come in and use them for other fruit/veg that needs to be in the fridge.  I find I can store a lot more this way.

Offline huby

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 19:54:40 pm »
Thank you ladies. I will be on the case soon...Wednesday is shopping day x