Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2  (Read 74766 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2013, 18:34:11 pm »
EM if your LOs sleep cycle is only 35/40 mins then 1hr10/20 is still restorative I think, you may just need to pull the next A back a touch like 10 mins. :-* we get them with T and they are a pita!

We're stuck on a 6-6 routine atm but it's working ok. I got DLS week wrong ::) it's next sun so I'm ignoring the issue till then lol. T Is sick so I can't extend A times, and having to APOp through some naps. He is very congested.

Welcome Mary. The CN has to go sweetie! If your happy to, I would post on easy or general sleep for some advice and support on your LOs routine. If you do EBT will your LO tack on or do a good night? - if so it's a good way to go when first dropping the CN x

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2013, 18:39:37 pm »
How do i know what her sleep cycle is?

We are doing 6:30 - 6:30  it was DLS last night so i thought excellent we can change to 7:30 -7:30 without doing anything but she still wanted to go to bed tonight at 6:30  ??? Ah well it could be worse x

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2013, 18:45:57 pm »
It could be worse ;) our clocks go the other way so 6 will become 5 :o not cool!
When does she wake if short napping? Around 40 mins?
***Sara***

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2013, 19:42:27 pm »
Thank goodness i keep a log, but yeah looking back we had quite a good few 40 min naps and the odd 35 min one. So 1hr 20 min would be restorative for her and 2hrs would be a great nap  ;D

I always assumed it was 45 mins and 1.5 for retorative but thats good to know. I'm dreading the clocks going the other way but at least i have plenty of time to work out what to do by then. (If she wakes at 5 i might just feed her and out her back down that usually buys me an hour or so  :))

Just out of curiosity when did your DS1 drop to 1 nap?

My angel baby girl

Offline theu.s.lees

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2013, 22:47:44 pm »
EM - My DS dropped to one nap at 14 months or so. Though I've heard of it being sooner or later.

Today is Easter and we are at my parents. S is so off today. She fell asleep in the car for ten minutes on the way over here so of course she wouldn't nap when we got here. She finally went down for 1.5 hrs or so, but now she won't nap. It's so frustrating. Like one good day followed by three tough ones. It's almost 4 so I
Ten tonight will be off. I can't keep her up since  we are habpving Easter dinner so I can't do EBT. My mom is APOP right now. Ahhhhhh. There's my scream. I just hate to think what my night will be.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2013, 00:30:15 am »
Hugs Neyssa, were off today too. T has a flu. Gross snot everywhere and sleep rubbish.ap central.

Em. Z was in 2-1 at 10 months. On 1 at 11. He would do 3 hr naps it was heaven! (And much appreciated as 0-6 mths were awful)

My issue with 1hr10/20 min naps is T can't quite last the full day on them. They mess up out day ::) but IMO they are a good nap as long as loo can last a full A after that is
***Sara***

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2013, 08:04:59 am »
Yeah she can easliy go a full A time after 1hr 10/20 mins she's just happier after a longer nap though. I think she will drop to 1 nap early as we are quite high A times, we pretty much dropped the CN cold turkey even if she shorts naps ahe will do a long A to BT then tac on at night. Last night she was asleep for 18:45 and woke up this morning at 8:00  :D

It's quite scary thinking she might drop to 1 nap early but u think it would be better as that's prob what she will get at the CM's when she starts.

It's funny how each child is so differnt from the other!

My angel baby girl

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2013, 18:13:56 pm »
Mmm well we had a funny day, it's making me think T isn't ready to drop the CN and that all along he's just been OT :-\ or....we've hit GS territory, or it's him being sick doing this. Anyway. Give him a 20 min CN and attempted BT 1hr15 after it. Out by 1.5 hrs and bed tight we have had in forever! 1 NF at 2 then up early at 5.20 but BT was 6.50 so I expected this CN days in past were usually 10 hrs only with more NW. :-\ sooo confusing.

EM - if she is spirited by bet is she will be on 1 nap before 12 mths ;)
***Sara***

Offline MommyMoulton

• Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2013, 17:55:27 pm »
Well here I am...... The 3-2 has bit me in the rear. So I have managed to extend Vs morning A to 2h45min. And I'm now working on pushing her afternoon A to the same.  My dilemma is what do I do with the food? I don't know what I did with DS. Now that we are on solids I don't know what to do. Care to share your curernu routines maybe it will help me decide what to do
Melissa

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2013, 18:48:46 pm »
MM - For us solids just helped the matter since it was longer between nursing. It is amazing how quickly we forget what we did with the first one! I feel the same way all of the time! Our schedule is usually something like

WU/E - 7 (BF)
E - 8 (Breakfast)
S - 9:30 - 11:15
E - 11:15 (BF)
E - 12:15 (Lunch)
S - 1:45 - 3:15/3:45
E - 3:30 (BF)
E - 4:30 (dinner)
E - 6 (BF)
BT - 6:30

It's not perfect and we're still working on extending her A times. Sometimes she can do 2:45 or even 3 hrs A times, but not regularly yet. We've also found that on days that she naps a little shorter or wakes early it is better to do an EBT in hopes she will have a little longer night instead of doing a CN. Though sometimes a 10-15 min CN on the go has to happen to get out of the house in the evening. She does okay, but struggles a little at BT. HTH.

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:49 am »
Hey, i am new at the forum and have some questions...
My LD is 8months today and sometimes we still have CN, i know she is too old, but what do you do, if she takes two short naps ( like 1h) and than at 18 she is sleepy again... Isn't that to early? Her A time is 3h and she WU at 6.30 in the morning. Can anyone help me with idea how to handle this transition. We have alsoproblems with WU after 30 min of nap and also after1h, but i think she is theeting too...
Thank you very much!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2013, 20:07:59 pm »
Hi there R :)
Short naps suck don't they! 8 months really is too old for 3 naps. bUt, if she will only sleep 30 mins and for the life of you you can't extend then then I would also offer 3.
I you can get 2 x 1 hr naps I would do EBT of 6pm. See how the night goes and if she tacks on. What does your EAS look like?

Hi MM :)

So our day post sickness is hopefully going to e something like this
WU 6/6.30
E milk 6.30/7 solids 7/7.30
A 2.40-50
S ~9 for 1.5-2 hrs
E on WU, solids 30-45 mins later
A 2.40-50
S ~ 1.30 for 1.5/2 hrs
E on WU solids at 4 ish
A 2.45-3 hrs
S ~6/6.30
***Sara***

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2013, 08:16:29 am »
Hi there

I recently posted on the general sleep board because my 6.5 month old DS has started waking early and I was helpfully directed to the 3-2 transition posts.

I have a couple of questions if someone could advise please?

DS is an 11 hr sleeper at night when STTN (before EW started) and our routine prior to EWs was:

6/6.15 wake
7 bottle
8 solids
8.30/8.45 nap for 1-1.5hr
10.15 bottle
11.30 solids
12.30 nap for 1-1.5 hr
2.30 bottle
4 nap for 30 mins
7 bed

When starting to extend the A times - is it best to work on one A time at once or all at once and cap the 3rd nap accordingly?
When still using the 3rd nap is it best for the wake time to be shortest after it before bed or to extend bedtime until ready to drop?
Should you ever cap the 1st and 2nd nap as part of this process?

Am grateful for your thoughts.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2013, 14:18:51 pm »
R - I agree with Sara, 8 months is old for 3 naps. However, you have to be able to make it through the day as well. Maybe you could post your day so we can help a little more.

Kate - You're in the right place. I would say your DS is ready to drop the CN. When extending the A times, it is best to start with one. We started with the morning one (still working on it some days) and then moved to the second A time, and so on. As far as how long A time after the CN, I'm not the best one maybe the others can help. But I'd say try capping the nap to 15 min just to get a reasonable BT. So if DS napped from 4-4:15, you could try a 6pm BT. If he was seeming really tired after that nap then you could even do a little earlier and hope he just tacks on. We ended up just cutting the CN all together and doing EBT. Right now your days are about 13 hrs which is okay, but maybe a little long as you adjust your A times. To answer your last question, I wouldn't cap your other naps unless they get too long - 1-1.5 hours is good, giving you around 3 hrs day sleep.
HTH.

I'm just struggling with S! I'm not sure if it is her teething or if it is our routine. I thought we had the days looking good, but the nights are getting worse. Yesterday was something like:

WU/E - 8 (Let her sleep a touch after a 6 am nursing since it was a rough night)
E - 9 Breakfast
S - 10:35-12:45
E - 1pm BF
E - 2:15 Lunch
S - 3:15-4 (Def. UT I'm sure)
E - 5 Dinner
E - 6:30 BF
BT - 6:45 (But then she woke numerous times from 8-midnight, when I finally gave in and nursed her and gave her Advil)

I know that she was UT at her second nap, and then probably OT at BT, and we missed a nursing due to her short nap and not sure how to get it all in by BT. I also think we are teething a bit, though I don't think teeth will pop any time soon, but we have runny nose and chomping on things like crazy. I'm just loosing it. We were working on not feeding at night. Well, I'd done one day successfully. I don't think hunger is generally the issue. I just need sleep!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2013, 19:06:39 pm »
Hugs Neyssa! We're hopefully coming out of the 6 mth GS, so I understand tired - yawn :-*
ITA with you too. UT/OT. We're stuck in this a bit too.

Is the am nap solid? Or do you resettle. If its solid I would definitely go for 2hrs45 A, or even more if you think show oiled handle it. You ay get a week of OT naps but if you can extend easily it will help nights.

We seem to be getting a good am nap, then rubbish pm that I have to resettle grrrrrr......
***Sara***