Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2  (Read 75317 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2013, 16:31:36 pm »
It sounds like everyone is just completely ditching the CN. We did that a bit ago and most of the time it works okay. WHen I think I better do one it always backfires.

Yesterday actually went pretty well I think. We made it to a 12 hour day with only 2 naps, longer A times, and good naps. We did still get 2 NW, though the first one was at 11:30, DH worked to resettle her and she was back up at 12:15. I tried resettling and finally gave in and nursed. She seemed actually hungry, though she shouldn't be. I think just getting her A times all to 3 hours so that her naps are a little shorter will help. We are getting there, but still hovering around 2.45.

jcsmom - I think that besides the second long A time your day looks good and she did pretty well at night. Those long OT NWs are hard, but at least she gave you the rest of the night, right?!

EM - I'm sure it is way too late, but after a 35 min nap I'd maybe do 15-30 min shorter on A time. But I'd keep an eye if she seems super tired, maybe a little earlier, or if she seems like she can make it then you can go closer to the regular A time. But I'm horrible at short naps as I spend too long trying to resettle and wasting the A time anyway, messing things up further!

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • We're in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2013, 18:35:03 pm »
Our night was pretty good. She does handle OT fairly well. I think her NW was so long as it is around DF time and I don't like to feed if she wakes. i try to get DH to resettle. But last night I think she figured "hey, I usually get fed right now" so DH could not settle.

After an hour nap she would not settle and went down at over 3 hrs A and did a 35 min nap so now I need to do a catnap. Boo. UT for first nap OT for second. If she does a 12 hour night even if it's not all sleep she almost always needs 3 naps because they are all short as if she is UT from a long night and OT by the end of the day. For a while she was doing 12 hour nights (7-7 and no NWs) and 3 30-50min naps.

Someone please explain to be how you get 2 naps of 1.5 and a 12 hour night? With 3 naps her total A time is about 9.75-10 hours. If we do 2 naps her total A time will be less so I will get NWs or EWs or short naps. This is why I am almost convinced to try set naps as she slef regulates her sleep pretty well, getting pretty much the same amount day to day.

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2013, 21:30:58 pm »
Good day here finally! Pushed A time to 3hr 15 for second nap and got 2 whole hours from him! Horay! He is most definitely a high A needs baby ;) so no CN and BT of 7pm but he didn't go to sleep til 7.20pm. So we will see what time WU will be! Eva I've done a few days with no CN but then other days it couldn't be helped (like really rubbish nap days or a trip in the car!) but yes I totally agree to get rid of those CN's! The past 3 days our first nap of the day has been 9.15am and second nap around 1/1.20pm so that's why I was thinking of set naps but will think about it over the next few days! Ill push tomorrows first nap to 9.30pm and hope that'll get me another 2 hour nap!
Oh yes and I do bottle feed :)

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2013, 06:37:27 am »
Hi

Have been reading your posts with interest as it sounds like we are in a similar position to you all at the moment. Sounds like you are all making good progress albeit it frustrating at times!

We have pushed our A times out to 3 hrs the last 2 days and yesterday our day went like this:

EW 5
Resettle 6
W 6.45
S 9.40 - 11.05
S 2-3.35
Bed 6.40

DS woke at 5.15 this am and managed to resettle by 6 and got til 6.30 so aiming for 9.30 and 2ish for naps and EBT if naps go well - am considering set naps too so will be interested to see how you go with these over the next few days. From talking to friends over the last few weeks most have adopted set naps when settling consistently to 2 naps.

Just wondering if you have any thoughts as to the EWs - not getting any NWs so should I keep pushing A times to stop the EWs or are they related to OT do you think? Prior to the EWs my DS was an 11 hr sleeper when STTN (and always 14hrs total sleep) so am also concerned about managing a 13 hr day when/if the EWs settle down - this is such a tricky business isn't it!

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:43 am »
Hi Kate,

Hugs to you on the EW! We are getting them too! For us it was 5.40am this morning - no resettling :( for me I'm probably going to push A times an aim for early BT to try avoid OT. I'd live to try set naps but maybe not today as he woke so early, but then the thing with set naps is no matter what WU the first nap is always the sane time? ??? So I dunno! Lol.

Maybe try 9.50 for your first nap? It's only an extra 10 mins! I will keep pushing A until I get good naps! See what the other ladies think, I'll be waiting to see too ;)

Good luck!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2013, 08:05:00 am »
Ugh write off here. Had UT am nap then OT pm ::) but was good but NW 45 mins in and he was awake an hour :o this kid is an enigma!!! Total opposite of Z!

Anyway enough moaning. ...
EM - I think your right, I think I need to push those As and he does need more. I'm terrible with short naps too. Neyssa I sound like you re trying to settle and wasting A. Your Bly meant to cut back 15-30 mins or so on the next A but I always go for 1 hr less and T gets annoyed. Why I do it I don't know!

M2j great one on the pushing As! Fx for a good one tomorrow too

Kate - I love your EAS. Swap? ;) EW are usually OT or UT. OT from long A to BT or it from short first A. I'd try extending that first A 10 mins or so and see if it helps :-*

JC - are you saying how do you get a 12 hr night with 1.5 x 2 naps? My first did 10.5/11 hr night but we always kept him inks room till acceptable WU ie 6am and sometimes did a long A to BT ie 3.5 and he often pulled a 2 hr nap too so it balanced out somehow ::) T does long nights but NW. But he has reflux and intolerances and feeding issues so I forgive him most the time.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2013, 12:08:23 pm »
Today is a disaster we had to go out so we were in the car for 1 hr but she only slept for 20 mins of  it so her second nap has started at 12:55 unless she pulls off a massive nap we will never make BT. How early have you done BT before?

ZM - Are you still thinking about going ahead with set naps? Jessmum46 has been telling me all about how to do them. I'm worried about the CM as i think our naps will be 10 and 2:30 and at the CM she would be out at a playgroup for the AM nap then leaving for the school run for the PM nap (have no idea what to do about that)

Mummytojames - How many bottles does your LO have now?

Kate - when you said your LO woke at 5:15 and manager to settle by 6:00 do you go and settle him ot leave him to do it himself?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2013, 12:30:10 pm »
M2J - thanks for the hugs, week 5 of EWs are starting to take their toll somewhat!

EM - He will only resettle with help so tend to feed or pick up and rock/sit with a muslin over his eyes to encourage sleep and then try and put down as he is dropping off/when I think he will stay down. Not great but I have tried leaving him and he never goes back to sleep - will chat to himself for 1/2 hr and then start to cry and then impossible to resettle! Am a bit concerned about having created an AP problem with the EWs but since he falls asleep independently and resettles himself throughout the night I am hoping this wont be a problem once we have got into the swing of 2 naps!!!

ZM - feel as tho the EAS is getting there. Think we have gone from UT causing the EWs to OT. Such a delicate balance!

Am also in the process of jiggling feeding times during the 3-2 process - currently have 4 bottles during the day and am finding the timing of the mid-am and mid-pm are totally changing plus have moved solids at lunch later on too. Be interested to hear how others are doing their feeding as part of this process?

Hoping all end up with an ok day/night. I am out this eve and not looking forward to another 5am start!!!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2013, 12:36:04 pm »
Kate i was just asking as i have been feeding at EW after she is fed i leave her and she still takes 30mins to fall back asleep. I was getting worried that maybe she was starting to EW as she knows she gets fed. We have been on 2 naps for a while now and the EW just started last week  ???

We are trying to move to 3 bottles but not making great progres as i think she still gets a bit hungry without it, even though she only takes a few oz. Was hoping it will be easier once the EW are over as i think the EW feed is throwing her off.

My angel baby girl

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2013, 12:45:14 pm »
DAY 1 of set naps!! Well..kinda! It hasn't started well so Im thinking it won't  finish well today! WU was 5.40am and set nap time was 9.15!! I know, I did actually try put him down earlier but he went to sleep exactly at that time so I figured I may as well go with it! ??? He only slept an hour though :( He can do a full A time with an hour sleep so he has just gone down at 1.15pm. So we will see how it goes! Am I mad? Should I stick with it for a few days and just see? I'm just terrified ill have an extremely OT baba!

Eva I give 4 bottles a day and then solids an hour later :) Hope she has a big nap for you! The earliest BT for us would be 6pm but on DS1 I remember I did do a 5.30pm! Only for one day, then the next night 5.45pm and then a few days at 6pm just to get him right again.

Sara hugs on rubbish naps and NW! ❤❤ you know I knew that 4-6 moths is tricky age with sleep etc so when do all these silly naps become good naps and full nights sleep? ??? Anyone? Lol x

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2013, 12:48:39 pm »
good for you. If you have started i would keep with it. The advice from Jessmum46 is stick with it for a week then you can readjust after that if you need to. Set nap times and set BT but let them nap as long as they want to and wake in the morning when they want.

Are you going back to work at any point?

My angel baby girl

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2013, 13:01:08 pm »
And she is awake at 13:55, thats a long way to BT not sure when to do it now?

My angel baby girl

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2013, 13:06:01 pm »
Yes I suppose I've started now I should see it through! Wow scary though! No I'm not going back to work I have a 22 month old as well so it's pretty hectic around here! Exhausting :) I could do with the money though. I'm planning on doing spray tans and be mobile so I can go to people's homes and do it. A friend of mine does it and she makes good money doing it. Are you going back to work? I'd lose the EW feed if you can. I used to feed when he woke too but now I don't. I know he doesn't need it. I think any time from 6am onwards is fine.

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2013, 13:25:09 pm »
I really try not to feed at an EW if at all possible - agree it throws everything off!

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • We're in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2013, 16:02:36 pm »
We did 3 naps yesterday as they were all rubbish 55 mins, 35 mins and 25 mins  :o :o I just don't know what direction and what A's to be using. She 7 months on the 21st. We are on the same ones she was using at Xmas time but I just can't seem to get her to where she needs to be A's wise. She used to be a high needs baby now we are stuck in an UT/OT rut. We were getting 12 hour nights! She did sleep well last night from 7-5 then a quick feed and back until 6:45. She was a mess this morning so we put her down at 9 and she slept 30 mins. WTH? I tried to resettle and she just laughed at me. She seemed so OT this morning though.

ZM- She will do 12 hour nights but then not nap well. If she naps well and I aim for a 12 hour night she always has NWs or EWs. I just can't figure out the balance, you know? If I start 2 naps and put her down early, I am afraid of getting into the early to bed early to rise trap.  Happened with my son. So if they wake early say after an 11 hour night at 5:30, what do you do6 about the day's nap timing?

Perhaps we should all try set naps? It sounds like most of our bubs are about the same in terms of sleep needs.