Author Topic: Will W2S work for my 10month old?  (Read 15070 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Will W2S work for my 10month old?
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2012, 19:44:56 pm »
When I did WIWO with my DD at 20 mo and she threw herr lovey out, I would pick it up and give it back to her every 4-5 times.  That way it was far enough apart that it didn't become a game and she eventually stopped throwing it out.  She did fall asleep without it a few times though, so Ali has a point that it's not really needed if it becomes a game.

TBH, if you're not going to sleep train right now, I'd just go in and get her back to sleep before she escalates right now in the MOTN.  I don't know that there's any reason for her to wait to do it on her own if she really doesn't know how.  I actually think most of those early wakeups are due to OT rather than teeth. Only one nap of 1h10min ending at 12 surely made her OT by BT.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2012, 19:47:16 pm »
I know that the answer to my question is probably just stop nursing/pinky to sleep altogether, but have you had any experience with keeping it for naps, just so baby isn't completely OT?     

I think I can handle doing at night as DH will be at home, reminding me it's important, but during the day, if I'm home alone...Might not be able to reisist :(. ..   Plus, I've always just nursed her before naps, and if she falls asleep, great, and if not, I put her in the crib and pinky for 5 -10 more minutes.

Offline katie80

« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2012, 01:12:29 am »
I know that the answer to my question is probably just stop nursing/pinky to sleep altogether, but have you had any experience with keeping it for naps, just so baby isn't completely OT?     
I've actually had the opposite experience. My DD was an independent sleeper from 5mo, but not always a consistent napper, so from about 6-13mo (when I weaned her), she fell asleep independently for all naps, but fell asleep nursing every night and STTN, unless teething or ill. You certainly could try it that way, but I think if you're really after independent sleep it should be done altogether. My DD had been fully trained before she started falling asleep nursing each night.

I think the real issue though, is if you're really committed to it or not. If you're not committed, then don't do it, because you'll likely end up reinforcing the prop more if you end up giving her the pinky and it will just make it harder down the road when you either have to or decide to stop. No one here is going to force you to sleep train and while we advocate independent sleep, there's no point in trying to do it if you're not going to follow through. If it works for you to nurse her (or use your pinky) to sleep for naps and BT, do it. Just know that the NWs may not fully improve until you stop that association.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2012, 02:20:35 am »
Thanks for the advice.   It's hard... she's my first baby... difficult delivery and unexpected complications made for a rough start... and during the first few months, all I could think of was that I didn't go through all of that just to let her cry.   And then I read too many sleep training books :)   

Last night, we gave her Advil before bed, and she only woke at 1030 (OT, I think)  and 330 (to nurse).   I heard her a 530, but she put herself back to sleep until 630.    Nap 1 today was 1030-1145, and nap 2 was 330-420.   In bed asleep at 820 (BT was too late, but we were out, and her teeth must have been bothering her because she SCREAMED the whole car ride home, and was inconsolable until 15 minutes after we gave her Advil (615)   She didn't eat much for dinner... she holds her food in her mouth like a chipmunk, and eventually, after bath and story I had to scoop the last mouthful out with my finger before I could even nurse her!   That reminds me, I have to post on the eating board to see how to get her to actually swallow her food! :)

Hoping the Advil gives her some rest tonight.   

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2012, 06:04:28 am »
Yes, pls do post on the Feeding Solid Foods board for advice on that :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2012, 14:05:06 pm »
Thanks.   Just an update for you ladies.   The last 3 days have been pretty good in terms of NW and naps.   On Sat, Sun and Mon, she was up at 620, nap 1 1030-1145, nap 2 330-415, asleep in crib by 810,   a brief waking at 1015ish (settled with pinky) and waking at 200ish which she self settles after 5 minutes or so of fussing.   Today, she was up at 500, so I nursed her, and she went back to sleep until 720.

So, I'm encouraged, and know that she can go at least 9 hours without food... hoping to wean that 500 feed too :)

Offline katie80

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2012, 14:24:58 pm »
Sounds good! :)

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2012, 02:02:03 am »
DD seems to always wake and fuss sometime between 10 and 1030 at night... and if she goes on for more than 5 minutes, I go in and pinky her back to sleep.   If I were to do some sort of W2S to prevent this... do I go in at 930?

It's more of a mantra cry than all out angry cry, but she will likely get there soon if I don't go in and pinky her.  She only sucks for ~4 minutes, and then is back asleep.

Do you think letting her go on with the mantra type cry until she falls back asleep or all out cries would be better, or try to go in at 930 an do some sort of W2S?   What exactly do you do when you W2S?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:12:32 am by mom2elise »

Offline Lilbitynurse

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:06 am »
I've been keeping up with this thread as it is similar wo what I started w/ my 8 month old...

With my DD-her mantra cry is usually this long, drawn out whine with every breath she exhales and she does it until she falls asleep. Now the light fussing is what she does prior to all out crying-I don't count that as mantra cry. Just not heavy enough of a cry to make me go in there if that makes sense.

Have you tried PU/PD or S/P when she cries like that instead of the pinky? My DD was like yours and started to really rely on being nursed back to sleep everytime. I gradually decreased the times I nursed her to sleep, then dropped them. Now I PU/PD or S/P her to sleep if she needs it (she rarely does these days). I haven't tried W2S yet but I plan on it as soon as we figure out our current sleep issue. Here is something I found helpful on this site in regards to what W2S is:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=223809.0

HTH and thanks for posting your questions..its helping me with mine  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:36:24 am by Lilbitynurse »

Offline katie80

« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2012, 16:00:35 pm »
Helpful info from Lilbitynurse... thanks for joining in. :)

m2e - You can sure try w2s. For NWs, it's typically recommended going in an hour before the wake, so I'd try more around 9pm (or maybe 9:15, it might take a little trial and error) instead of 9:30. Good luck!

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:37 am »
Started night 1 of w2s.   Went in at 915...rubbed her belly for a bit, but no reaction...moved onto cheek, on finally lifted her arm.   She twitched and moved a bit.    Snuck out of her room, and waited,   1000 on the dot, she cried out...was sitting up by the time I got in her room....I laid her back down, pinky in mouth for 2 minutes and is asleep again.   For now.

Her days have been much more predictable.    Definitely likes the 4 hour "A"  if I try too soon, she won't fall asleep.    Today was nursed at 500am(12 minutes, one side only, and straight back in crib asleep) wake up for day 725... Not hungry to nur, so I pumped, and she took that bottle and sipped at it all morning.    Nap 1, 1130-1240, nap 2 430-500, asleep in crib at 820.

So still a bit on the low side for daytime sleep, but she wakes happy from nap 1.    Always looks a bit disoriented after nap 2.

Offline katie80

« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2012, 02:41:15 am »
I think if you could get her to sleep by 7:45/8pm, that would help with the 10-10:30pm NW too.  It sounds a bit OT to me.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2012, 03:50:38 am »
Thanks!    I'll try an earlier bedtime tomorrow night.   

Sigh, she just woke at 11:20pm too.   Crying hard, and only settled with nursing.    She did this last night as well, but I gave her when she cried hard at the 11:15 waking, and then nursed to calm her down.   I had given her Advil after bath/before bed today, so maybe this is a habitual waking too?

Going to bed now, and hoping for a good night's rest for me.   I probably wouldn't be so tired if I "slept when baby slept" and ignored the dishes, laundry, paperwork, bills etc. :)

Offline katie80

« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2012, 16:00:09 pm »
I had given her Advil after bath/before bed today, so maybe this is a habitual waking too?
I think it's actually OT again, rather than habitual.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2012, 16:12:47 pm »
So, last night, she woke again screaming at 300, which I'm guessing is the Advil wearing off?   Settled down after Advil and nursing, and then slept until 745.    Started nap 1 at 1145.    Will see how long she naps, and then not sure what to do re nap 2 and bedtime.    Will be asking for suggestions ...   Please!