Author Topic: Will W2S work for my 10month old?  (Read 15078 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Will W2S work for my 10month old?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 02:02:06 am »
Oh, maybe this is my problem for nap 2?    DD has now been up at 7, nap 1 1030-1200, so I try for nap2 at 330, but she's up at 4, and we start bath at 730.  So, maybe last A needs to be shorter, and in bed by 7?
Yes, if that second nap is only 30 min, she needs to be in bed, asleep by 7pm in order to prevent an OT night.

If we do get to 4.5 A in am, doing I feed lunch (solids) before or after nap?
It's your choice, really.  A lot of moms do a split lunch, kind of like two snacks.  So, maybe some yogurt, fruit, and grains beforehand and some protein, veg, or fruit afterward.

Does this count as  the "chair method" or should I be trying to eave the room before she's asleep?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "chair method", but this would be how you'd start gradual withdrawal.  You stay in the room with her and gradually move closer to the door every few nights.  If she has SA, is teething, and has never gone to sleep independently, I wouldn't change the game on her now by doing PUPD or WIWO.  Gradual withdrawal is typically the method recommended in this case.  My guess is that she hit her second wind with a late BT or the Advil could have made her a bit hyper and that's why she didn't settle right away. 

You mentioned a couple times about nursing her to sleep, and it seems like you might not be happy with that.  Don't be ashamed of it in the least, almost all of us have fallen into AP at some point in our parenting.  However, I do think that ultimately having her go to sleep independently is going to help the NWs and is just a bonus in general.  And, obviously there will come a day when she won't be able to nurse to sleep.  So, when you're ready to tackle it, just let us know and there's always someone here to help. :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 14:37:07 pm »
I completely agree with everything Katie just said. Your routine is similar to ours right now and I do BT at 7 on those days.
I hope she dropped off OK in the end. That is a great start to gw.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 23:26:39 pm »
Sorry, I read a lot of sleep books before deciding on not a CIO method, and "chair" method is basically the same as gradual withdrawn...sit in chair beside crib, and gradually move chair farther away.

Well, last night, after an hour of tossing and babbling, she was tired enough to fall asleep, but she started to really cry, and didn't actually fall asleep until I picked her up and nursed her for 10 minutes.   Overnight, she nursed at midnight and 330, then woke for the day at 800.

Had nap 1 1145-200, but we had company and she didn't eat much solids for breakfast or lunch...tried for nap 2 at 445  and didn't fall asleep, so,  went for stroller ridev515-600 in hopes of catnap, but didn't sleep.   Didn't eat much solids for dinner, and spent so long trying to feed dinner that bath didn't start until 650.   It's 720 now, and she's finally getting settled on my breast.    That seems like a long A to bedtime.  Hoping she'll just fall asleep and stay asleep.

Yes, I have a lot of guilt re nursing her to sleep as many people and sleep books say its part of the reason she's not falling back to sleep in the middle of the night, and DH or anyone else can't get her to nap either.   I need to start thinking about going back to work, but am not sure how that will happen...between the SA and nursing to nap/sleep....

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 09:26:52 am »
When you decide to do it, be it with gentle removal, gradual withdrawal or pupd, we will be happy to hold your hand :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline katie80

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 15:33:36 pm »
Had nap 1 1145-200, but we had company and she didn't eat much solids for breakfast or lunch...tried for nap 2 at 445  and didn't fall asleep, so,  went for stroller ridev515-600 in hopes of catnap, but didn't sleep.   Didn't eat much solids for dinner, and spent so long trying to feed dinner that bath didn't start until 650.   It's 720 now, and she's finally getting settled on my breast.
It sounds like the teeth might be bugging her if she's off solids a bit.  I doubt she was tired enough to sleep at 4:45 after a 2.25hr nap.  I wouldn't have tried for a CN until 5:30ish, or just done an EBT at 6:30pm.

When you decide to do it, be it with gentle removal, gradual withdrawal or pupd, we will be happy to hold your hand :)
Yep! :) 

I need to start thinking about going back to work, but am not sure how that will happen...between the SA and nursing to nap/sleep....
It always seems much more daunting than it really is.  If you're willing to put the work into it, there may be a few rough days, but I guarantee you'll feel empowered and freer once she sleeps independently.  But, you have to be ready to do it and commit to it.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 16:46:29 pm »
Hmmm, not sure what happened today, but so far, after falling asleep last night at 740, she woke again at 800, and fussed in her crib for 30 min, before it turned into an escalated crying.    I had already left the room, and she seemed to be ok to fuss without me, but still couldn't actually fall asleep.   When her fussing escalated to crying, I went in and nursed her, at which pint she fell asleep.    She normally wakes at midnight and 330ish, but last night, I heard her fuss a bit at midnight, but then she settled herself again until 330.    Nursed when she"woke" at 630, and I was prepared to start the day with her as an EW, but she fell asleep, so I put her back into the crib, where she slept until 800.   

I thought I would push A until 1145 (3.75hrs) which she seemed ok with...fell asleep nursing at noon, but woke at 1230!!!  I'm guessing OT?    Now what?  I tried to extend, but no luck.    Will definitely need a nap 2, but not sure what time, and what to do re bedtime.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 17:21:35 pm »
Should I have tried a longer A to nap, considering she was still relatively ok?   A was same yesterday, and she had a 2hr15min nap!

Offline katie80

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 18:39:23 pm »
Sounds like last night's wakings were OT.  I don't think this morning's A needed a push, you'd likely see a pattern of shorter naps over several days in order to do that. It was hopefully just a one-off, could have been teething pain, some OS, a funny tummy, who knows. ??? It's probably too late for this now, but I would watch her closely to see when she's ready to sleep again.  It'll likely be after around 2-2.5hr later.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 20:17:28 pm »
Thanks...just nursing in the dark now.   It's been 3.5 hrs (started nursing at 4ish).   She almost asleep in the nursing pillow, and then can hopefully put her in crib.   Not sure about how long to let her sleep, and when to start bedtime :(

Hopefully, daddy gets to see her tonight.   That's the worst part of early bedtime.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 00:02:57 am »
Sigh, did not stay asleep at nap 2.   Woke at 430.    Couldn't get her to bed until. 800, and she did not fall asleep nursing.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 03:13:03 am »
Finally fell asleep at 900, then woke at 1100... Looks like it'll be a long night at this rate!

Offline katie80

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:10 am »
(((Hugs))), sounds like OT.  Just remember, tomorrow is another day.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »
:) she woke at 400 and 630, and I nursed back to sleep.    Up for the day at 800.    I'm ok with that.    I was telling DH last night, "I love our little bean so much!  I would o anything for her, so waking a few times a night is annoying, but I'm ok with that.".   

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 01:20:39 am »
So our day went like this:   Up at 800, nap 1200-300, in crib asleep at 8pm, but woke again 30 minutes later at 830.   She seems to be not "staying asleep" at the beginning of the night, and it takes 60-90 minutes to get her back to sleep.   Am I starting bedtime too early, or late?    She's just babbling away in her crib right now, but I'm a hostage in her room as she cries out if I try to leave.   

Offline katie80

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 14:57:15 pm »
Am I starting bedtime too early, or late?   
I'm not sure, tbh.  Usually a wake-up 30 min after going to sleep is considered OT, but that was a really good day in terms of routine, the last A might have been just a touch long. :-\ What was she like when she woke?  It could also be discomfort, is she still teething?