Author Topic: Will W2S work for my 10month old?  (Read 15074 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Will W2S work for my 10month old?
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 20:37:31 pm »
Yes OT I think too. I would put in cot at 6.30 and hope for her to be asleep by 7 at the latest.

I would reduce your morning A time a tad with an aim of having her asleep by 4hrs max.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 23:47:47 pm »
Agreed. :) Because of the extra settle time, she went over 4hr today when she's usually been doing 3.5-3.75. I'd do the same for BT, 6:30/7pm (at the very latest).

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2012, 00:17:18 am »
So I had her in the crib by 650, and she didn't fall asleep until 800.  :(

She was mostly happy.   I sat beside her crib, and she kept pulling herself up to stand.   I waited until she was fully standing, and then I'd lay her back down and say its time to go to sleep.    She rolled around a lot, then I would try to let her have my pinky, and she suck for a bit, them spit it out or turn and pill herself back up.  We did this for 50 minutes or so.    She didn't seem super upset when I laid her back down.   She practiced her clapping, and blinking....all the new tricks she's learned recently.   I avoided eye contact and engaging her, even though the clapping was really cute.   Finally, settle enough, and sucked my pinky for a good 10 minutes and fell asleep at 800.   Unfortunately her, legs were between the slats, and 10 minutes later when she rolled over, she woke up and cried out.   I rushed in, re-pinkyed her for 5 minutes, and she's back asleep, for now.

Will keep you posted on how the night goes.   

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2012, 01:53:07 am »
Woke at 930... Fussing turned into louder crying out.  Went in at 940, laid her back down...pinky until 950.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:20 am »
Fussed again at midnight,   Went in at 1205, pinky until 1215.

Am I doing the right thing here and not letting her get so worked up that she's awake for an hour?   Or am I making her more dependent on me, and harder to break pinky later?

I worry that the "babbling happily before falling asleep" will turn into crying uncontrollably for hours, and more difficult to settle at the beginning f the night....but if it means that she will stay asleep until morning....or am I being unrealistic?    I just can't picture her going from playing happily in crib to asleep by herself.   :(

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 07:12:24 am »
Only lay her back down if she is crying. Otherwise it is best to leave her to do it herself. If my ds2 is just fussing bit not too upset I just tell him to lie down and go to sleep and eventually he will. It is often sudden and he will be babbling one minute and have his eyes closed the next.

I think your BT was too late. You only gave her 10 mins to fall asleep but she has been taking much longer so I stick with my advice in last post and would have had her in bed by 6.30 so she had time to settle before she got OT

I do think you will need to stop the pinky before she stops looking for it at night. At the moment you seem to have just replaced one prop with another. It's a step in the right direction but not enough for her not to need you when she wakes at night. Have you tried offering her own hand for her to suck? She may need you to hold it in for her at first but should then be able to do it to self settle without you

Offline katie80

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »
If my ds2 is just fussing bit not too upset I just tell him to lie down and go to sleep and eventually he will. It is often sudden and he will be babbling one minute and have his eyes closed the next.
Ha, we get this too.  It makes me giggle almost every time. :)

I agree with Ali, again. The NW were OT, because BT got too late. The babbling and then hard crying are classic OT signs.  So, while I understand you want to get her to sleep as fast as possible, if she gets used to that while OT, she'll start wanting it more and more even when not. I'll be totally honest and say, I often go in quickly at night when I know my DS is OT and try to get him back ASAP, even if I have to hold him. But, he's an independent sleeper at all other times, so it hasn't been much of an issue.

I think your best bet is to get her back on routine as much as possible, really watching the A times and pulling back quite a bit when she short naps.  Then, start working on pulling the pinky.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 13:24:26 pm »
She woke at 630, but wasn't  crying out or anything.   In fact, she was standing in her crib, waving etc.  Is this EW?    I'm ok with 630, but it is earlier than she has been.  

Picked her up and gave snuggles and then she nursed this morning!!!   For 10 minutes on each side.   I was really low key...and offered her breast, and she didn't fuss at all.   So happy!

Ate lots for breakfast at 830.

Will try for nap 1 around 1000.

Yes, I agree that I've replaced nursing with pinky.    Will try to teach her how to suck her own hand during the day...hopefully she can find it at night?    Or is that just wishful thinking?

Offline katie80

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2012, 13:32:12 pm »
Yay for nursing again! ;D

Yes, that's an EW, but you know what, they happen now and again and it's best just to roll with it. I would try to have her sleeping by 10-10:15am though, not just starting the process then, iyswim.

Will try to teach her how to suck her own hand during the day...hopefully she can find it at night?    Or is that just wishful thinking?
No, I think it's a really good idea.  10mo olds can find their own pacis at night to replug them, they can certainly find their own hands.  You might have to guide it to her for a few nights, but she should catch on pretty quick if she indeed takes to it as a replacement.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2012, 14:06:54 pm »
Ok... Asleep in crib at 1005.   She was pretty drowsy when I laid her down.    Instead of trying to nurse, or give her a bottle, I rocked her a bit and the dark while reciting good night moon, and then laid her down.    When she stood up, I waited until she cried out before I laid her back down and said "time to sleep."

Let her suck pinky for 5 minutes or so, and pulled it out sooner than I would have in the past....she was still sucking a bit, but not hard.    Whole process took about 12 minutes.    

I'll post again when she wakes.

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2012, 15:29:53 pm »
Woke  from nap 1 at 1130 :)

Will try nap 2 at 3 pm, I guess?m

Offline katie80

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2012, 16:17:15 pm »
Sounds good. If she looks like she's just not going to make it 2:30/45 would be ok too.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2012, 17:59:55 pm »
Sounds good and so glad she nursed ;D

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2012, 19:37:54 pm »
Took her upstairs for diaper change etc at 245, had sippy cup of EBM for a few minutes, pulled up and walked around crib until 257, then bumped her head and the way down, so I laid her back, and let her have pinky.   Asleep at 303.    Woke at 337 :(

What to do for bedtime?   Still not sure if that was OT or UT or just nap 2 is going to be short?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 19:49:47 pm »
I would go with a 6.30 BT.