Author Topic: 3 weeks of eating solids got sick and now refuses all solids  (Read 4743 times)

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My LO has been introduced to solids over the last 3 Werks with great success. She was eating baby rice, some fruits and root veggies. It was clear what she liked and didn't like but overall she was very keen on eating. 4 days ago her daycare said she refused her solids and she ate less and three days ago she was sucks few times in the afternoon. This carried on for two days where I only gave her milk to be easy on her stomach.

She now seems to be herself again so I thought it was time to reintroduce solids and now she completely refuses all solids and won't even open her mouth for the spoon.

I understand her clear message that she does not want to eat and of course food is for fun right now so I will not force the issue but my question is, is this normal after an illness and when is she likely to pick it up again?

Should I wait a few days and try again or try once a day?

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 3 weeks of eating solids got sick and now refuses all solids
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 14:59:37 pm »
Goodness, it seems I had a German keyboard in play for some of that. We were going well with solids for three weeks and then she was sick 3 days ago a few times in the afternoon to be clear.

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 17:22:15 pm »
I would just wait until she is ready - at this stage they do quite often decide they don't want to eat when something happens, and she will eat when she is ready. Keep offering once a day without any pressure and let her lead the way.

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:56:58 am »
Seems you were spot on. She is back eating, not quite with the same vigour but we are certainly back on track. Amazing how thing ps can completely change from one day to the next. :D

Offline clazzat

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:00 am »
Glad to hear it. :)

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 13:00:24 pm »
We are now ok on baby rice again but she is still refusing the veggies she liked before the sickness e.g. Carrot and sweet potato. She even won't accept baby rice mixed with the veggies. I think from teething the extra saliva is making her cough and sometimes gag / be sick. Been to the doctor but she seems to think she is fine.

I guess I just stick with baby rice for now and occasionally try and introduce something new?

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 13:17:36 pm »
Personnally I'd offer something else every day or so, but if she refuses I'd just move on and offer the rice cereal.  I know how discouraging it can be, but as long as you keep offering, she can surprise you and just accept it one day.
Elise

Offline clazzat

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 17:49:21 pm »
I agree with Elise. There is plenty of time for her to get back into solids, so try not to worry. You could also try some different veggies - she might be associating the ones she used to like with being sick so she doesn't want to eat them again.

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 13:55:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I am trying to offer different solids each day. She seems to be more interested but not really hungry. I have recently switched to formula from breast feeding, I guess there is a chance that she is more full from the bottle and therefore less hungry? I am waiting one hour after here bottle though.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 14:15:35 pm »
I guess there is a chance that she is more full from the bottle and therefore less hungry?

Yes, I think it also depends how big her bottles are. Just for the time being, maybe you could try offering solids before her bottle, it might help to get her back in the swing of things?
Elise

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 06:29:38 am »
She has between 200 and 260ml each time.

If I offer solids first then I guess I should wait an hour after to give her the bottle?

Offline Jo1stbaby

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:25 am »
Hi I'm not a moderator but I've had some really good advice lately.  My lo is 4.5 months so is nearing the time to start solids.  I went to a weaning class offered by HV and other mums.  They said when it comes to introducing foods it takes about 20 times for your LO to know if they like it or not.  Because of textures and tastes although they may like it some times may not at others.  So once you've tried about 20 times or so they have a good idea whether they like it or not. 

It's worth a thought.

:)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:19:56 am »
Hey wanted to pop in and let you know my experience.  DS was very poorly at 10 months (hospital 4 days) and it took a good while to get over it.  He had been a massive eater from 6 months but stopped eating when he was ill and it seemed like the LONGEST time before he was back on solids properly even when he appeared to be fully well again.
I can remember being worried because he seemed to only accept dried fruit, of course I didn't want him to have too much of that fruit sugar and was also worried about him getting diarrhoea with too much dried fruit, but I was pleased that he would accept some sort of solids.  Honestly during that time he took more milk than ever before and feeding him was almost like a new born again, even night feeds.  I just kept offering small tastes of a variety of things that he had and had not had before and he gradually increased his diet again back to a good variety.
I think they know and trust milk, it's natural for them to take it if they feel slightly off or have had a bad experience with food or an illness.
Sorry I don't know how old your LO is but I wouldn't worry about how much milk/solids unless she is approaching 12 months.  I personally wouldn't withhold milk feeds but would try solids JUST prior to milk, so if you usually do a milk at 11am for example try a solids snack at 10.45 and then the regular milk at 11am so there is a taste of something.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 13:18:34 pm »
I personally wouldn't withhold milk feeds but would try solids JUST prior to milk, so if you usually do a milk at 11am for example try a solids snack at 10.45 and then the regular milk at 11am so there is a taste of something.

Exactly what I am doing too (on the great advice of creations! :)) and it ended up working for us. I offer solids first, he takes it or he does not, regardless I offer his bottle after. If he takes some solids and he's not too hungry, I might offer a top up later, sometimes he still will not take solids so he takes his full bottle.

Good luck!
Elise

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 16:37:13 pm »
Jo1stBaby, Creations and Elise, thanks for your thoughts. We have been away at the weekend, had full blown teething and then I have been at work, so have not had much chance to test your advice. Tomorrow we will start and see how things go.

Creations: my LO is only 6.5 months old so not really any need for me to panic. We just had such a great start to weaning and then never really seemed to recover. Hopefully this new approach will solve that problem.

Will let you know how we get on! :)