Author Topic: Refusing to drink  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Georges' mama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mama of 3 sweet peas
Refusing to drink
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »
My 9 month old has only taken one 8 oz bottle in almost 48h. However she will eat solids ( as long as its finger foods). She is also refusing all food by a spoon. I am extremely concerned about the lack of liquids.

She is teething and has about 4 teeth coming through at once. Extremely cranky, not napping well.etc.

She is not showing any signs of dehydration! Her diapers are defiantly not as wet as usual. She is taking water but an inadequate amount to equal her formula intake.

No fever.

I recall my son doing something like this when he was teething as well.

Any ideas? Should I be taking her to the doctor? ( I really believe this is teething)

She is spirited and very independent . I tried the formula in a sippy cup, still wouldn't take it.

Thank you ladies!
Georges 2010
Lillian 2011
Rebecca 2011

Offline SILLYFACE

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »
Hello!
A bit of a tricky one and teeth do cause problems!
The refusal of spoon-feeding is fairly common at this age as they master the art of feeding themselves. As long as you offer a wide and balanced diet, finger foods will be fine - checkout baby lead weaning sites.
Not sure about the milk feeds though. It is common for 9 month babies to be on three feeds a day, perhaps reducing to two, but one in two days sounds a little bit worrying if I'm honest. I would phone your doctor and see what he has to say. At the very least, contact your health visitor.
Have you changed the milk? Perhaps you could buy a couple of the instant feeds to see whether she will take a different brand of follow-on milk. Perhaps change the bottle or teat?
It sounds like your little girl is enforcing her independence at the moment, so you could try the bottles with the little handles to see if she will have a feed if she is in control! Also it looks really cute!
You could try giving her milk with her meal as an extra drink and plenty of cheese and yoghurt (give as one of those squeezy tubes if she wants to feed herself).
It is a tricky one but I do think if you have any doubt to check it out. Good luck hun xxxx