Author Topic: Is this remarkable?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Is this remarkable?
« on: July 11, 2012, 18:16:33 pm »
Today ds, who is nearly 14 months, took a DVD from the bookshelf, crawled across to the DVD player and tried to put it in. I'm quite impressed that he has learned that that is what to do with a DVD, but I was wondering if all 14mo can make that kind of connection.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 18:28:44 pm »
cool bean!!  i really think these little people are really smart!  We used to keep all the remote controls on top of our antique tv set to avoid DS messing with them.  He tried to grab them, of course, but we just put them up.  We went to visit and stay with friends when he was 18 mo and they didn't have kids, so remotes were just on the coffee table, he couldn't really talk in full sentences yet, so he brought the remote to my friend and pointed above the tv but they didn't understand and just told him that no, they stay on the coffee table :P :P 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Is this remarkable?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 19:05:04 pm »
We had our DVD player out of Masyn's reach at that age, or I am sure she would have figured it out.  She is better with electronics/technology than DH is, she knows how to hook up our portable DVD to the TV and everything. 
Heidi

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 19:07:06 pm »
clever boy!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 19:20:28 pm »
Wow so clever!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 21:42:53 pm »
My DS couldn't managed to pull the DVD out of the box (you know how the centre needs to be pressed in first?) at that age, but he could turn the DVD on and set his nursery rhyme dvd to play.  Even knew how to press the back button to get a tune to play again.
I remember one day my mum said, 'it looks like he's asking for this dvd, how do I put it on?'
and I replied, 'I've got no idea but he knows,' and just told DS to go do it himself.

I think on the whole they learn just about anything they see other people do (I am constantly amazed by what DS can do or what he knows), although of course getting their fav dvd on is a good motivation to learn something.  Pretty smart that your DS already knows how to get the dvd into the machine :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:09:01 am »
Z is like this, slow with language but my goodness his fine motor skills were good when he was little, and still is where I think he focuses his energy. I find now he is older he is very intrigued with how things work. He is more interested in learning to screw the batteries in a toy and can a tally do a pretty good job with our guidance, but is easily frustrated and bod with say a musical toy that can play different sounds.

You may find you notice this more as he gets older, an area he wants to focus his energy and then excels at it when you encourage it (in safe ways ;) )

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.