Author Topic: Please help me devise a plan to get ds2 to eat better  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
Please help me devise a plan to get ds2 to eat better
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:06:33 am »
Hi ladies,
Am at a total loss with this kid. He is 2 years and 3 months and barely eats anything. His fav and only preferred food is pasta with olive oil and Parmesan, rice with yogurt and ravioli with Parmesan and olive oil. He will eat carrots and occasionally broccoli, or a little zucchini. Sometimes will eat Indian bread and yogurt maybe 2 or 3 chick peas, green beans and that's about it. Sometimes he will eat something one day but not the next time. He refuses to try a new thing as well, we talk a lot about nutrition, getting stronger etc and he gives it all lip service but still won't eat it.

What do I do? This is uncharted territory for me as ds1 was a great eater at that age.

Should I do a eat or stay hungry structure ( tried to do that tonight and he has gone to bed without eating anything). If I do how does it work, so if he does not eat dinner do I not give him his cup of milk before sleep?

Is he too young and should I just give him what he eats offer new things and not worry about it for another year?

Totally confused but it's really stressing me out.

He is essentially healthy but very tiny size wise.
Thanks all
Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Re: Please help me devise a plan to get ds2 to eat better
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:58:14 am »
It's all about him realising he has control, Mukta.  And he's going to use it. Which makes you feel ::) >:(
Remember growth charts are a bell curve.  So some have to be the little guys and some have to be the big guys.  If he is healthy, I would accept that you will throw out a lot of stuff for a while, ease off on the reiteration re nutrition and
just give him what he eats offer new things and not worry about it for another year?

With regards to new foods, you could try the gradual introduction method that I've seen other Mama's use.  Where the child has to kiss the food one day, lick it a few days later and try a wee nibble a few days later but allow it to be spat out, and eventually to eat a whole nibble.  Or if you are up to it, then do the one bite rule that we do in our house.  You have to try one bite and swallow it.  Especially if it's a food they once ate well.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 15:32:24 pm »
Thanks Deb, I am trying to eat at leats 1 meal a day with them and am using the 1 bite rule coax, not forcing.

Today he is eating apple sauce, yayy its not sweetened so its all apple...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 16:03:36 pm »
I would also offer what he likes but try something new everyday alongside it. Could you try a new veg in with his pasta maybe? Avacado chunks, peas or similar?

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 17:30:41 pm »
I would also offer what he likes but try something new everyday alongside it. Could you try a new veg in with his pasta maybe? Avacado chunks, peas or similar?
Agree with keeping something he likes in the mix, but problem is most of what he likes is carbs so that fills him up, maybe I can control how mcuih I serve initally.

I have tried adding things to his pasta but he picks that out and only eats pasta :( wont have any sauce on it, just plain with oddles of olive oil and cheese
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 17:56:19 pm »
At around that age I started with the "eat some more x and then you can some more y". Not sure how this sits with others but it works here! Got him to at least try a new foods.  Even if he had one taste that was enough for me. And the y was never a treat like a biscuit - it would just be more of the food on his plate that he really liked.

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 20:58:48 pm »
What about letting him 'help' with meal prep?  My girls are way happier eating food they've prepared with us.  They also love to pick veggies out of the garden that they've helped grow (although it's a very small garden and that only works during summer months).

I have some very strong food dislikes and am not very adventurous when it comes to trying new things.  My parents put the food in my mouth but I refused to swallow it.  It's all about power.  And if you make it an issue, it becomes one.  I try to balance respecting their dislikes with getting them to try new things.  We usually have a healthyish dessert, like a homemade cookie or a granola bar or fruit that only gets served if they've eaten what I've served them.  I'm not concerned with a clean plate, but all veggies have to be gone and a decent attempt to eat whatever else has to be made.

I try to have all their daytime choices as healthy as possible, loads of fruit and at least one veggie serving, so that I know they've eaten well through the day. (Daycare and school eating has never been a problem).  This way, I don't stress about how much dinner gets eaten.  They might be too tired to eat, or full from a late snack at daycare.   At this age though, if they don't eat what I've served for dinner, they don't get anything else, because I don't serve them things I know they really don't like.  That said, I often am making separate meals for them and DH and I, because we'll eat spicier foods or whatever.  That's kind of a pain.

We always eat breakfast and dinner together, and lunch if we are home.  I think that helps too. 
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:12:05 am »
we have trie dthe letting him help to no luck at all, but I have tried to get him to lick, he LOVES licking anything evne me..gross! but its working to our advantage and he licked up about 3 small spoons of a pesto and cream sauce i made for dinner...its a start!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 19:18:12 pm »
Personally although I talk and explain to my 26 month old, I know there's only so much he understands.  Especially if he's tired, he will just be completely unreasonable but then he is only 2.

Personally I normally give him tea time foods I know he will eat or at least I'm fairly sure about if he's going through a fussy period.  Then I offer him newer foods at lunchtime.  The plus for that then is that you know he will be properly hungry by teatime if it's refused.  I have also always offered pudding.  I know people don't always hold with this but I only make puddings with very low or no added sugar, sometimes it's just fruit or fruit and cream and that's fine as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing I would say is the kind of foods he's eating is really adventurous compared with lots of toddlers.  There are a lot of my favourite foods in there.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 20:35:33 pm »
Thanks LemonThyme, we have a mix of foods i think, some are pretty basic and others are quite adventerous. We almost never do pudding but we eat fruit after every meal and irrespective of how the dinner went we always serve fruit.
9 and 6, oh boy!