Author Topic: changing feedings, time to drop a bottle?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
changing feedings, time to drop a bottle?
« on: July 13, 2012, 00:05:41 am »
My DS is almost ten months, and he is transitioning to one nap, so Im starting to wonder about his feeding times.  I feel like things are getting pushed around and he is eating to much in the afternoon/evening?  He is on formula and solids, here is his easy as of the past few days:

7am wake up, bottle, 6oz (started to leave an oz or two sometimes)
8am baby food
10:30 or so, bottle (i try to feed him around this time now so he doesn't go down for his nap hungry)
11am nap
2ish he wakes up and ive been giving him his 'lunch' of baby food here
3ish bottle
5ish solids 'dinner'
6:30ish just after, bedtime bottle

for most all of his bottles he has been dropping an oz or two, even on the one before bed.  So does it seem like he should drop his 3pm bottle and have a snack or something? or maybe give him solids before his nap and a bottle after his nap?  still seems like a lot of food, and seems like he's eating often for his age.   I dont feel like he needs to eat that much, but need a little advice on dropping the bottle, if he's ready and if that time would be a good time to have him drop it? maybe he'd continue finishing his other bottles then like he used to?

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: changing feedings, time to drop a bottle?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:35:58 am »
maybe try?:
7am bottle
8am breakfast
10:45 ish bottle
nap
2pm or so lunch
3pm snack
4pm dinner
6:30 bottle then bed
does this seem acceptable, if he has three feedings of about 6oz at his age? (1o months in a week) also, should I be focusing on having drink any of his formula out of a sippy, or are bottles still ok for now? he has his sippy at his solid feedings with water. 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: changing feedings, time to drop a bottle?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 17:44:40 pm »
Most bottle fed babies drop to 3 bottles around 9/10 months so 3 bottles a day is fine. Will he take more than 6oz at a sitting? If he will I'd offer more in the bottles as 20oz a day is the MINIMUM amount they suggest with solids up until 1 year. If he won't drink any more you can offer formula as a drink with meals and add more dairy to his food.

He is very young to be dropping to one nap, so it would be worth hanging onto 2 naps as long as possible so he doesn't get overtired. At 10 months the usual routine is

Wake up and bottle
breakfast
Nap
Lunch
Bottle
Nap
Snack if needed
Evening solids
Bed/ bottle

HTH!

Laura