Author Topic: Need a little clarification....  (Read 1753 times)

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: July 13, 2012, 21:33:37 pm »
Ok so we've started rice cereal and 6mo ds is taking well to it.  He actually prefers it to be thicker and is already eating a little more than 1tbsp.  Anyways my question is whether or not I need to introduce the other cereals...meaning oat and barley before I try other solids?  Secondly, when introducing a new food do I introduce it in the morning or does time really matter?  I know I have to wait 3 days between introducing new foods, that much I know for sure, lol.  It also seems like the "rules" around which foods to introduce when has also changed.  I just kind of feel lost as dd didn't really take to cereal and baby food and also because I don't remember either ;).  Any clarification around this would be great.  I wish I could just find a meal planner with the amounts to feed, when to feed and what to feed and I'd be set  ;D.  Thanks so much!

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Re: Need a little clarification....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:48:26 am »
Hi lovely!

We gave DD baby rice like one time and she wasn't fussed so we went straight to fruits and veggies and didn't try any other cereals. We also didn't stick to the 3 day rule either beyond the first week or so but then there is no history of intolerances/reflux in our family so we were perhaps a little more lax than others may need to be. I know that in the UK we were never given that guidance anyway and given that we waited until 6mos I was told that you can pretty much go with whatever, whenever!

We started by following the Annabel Karmel book and always introduced new foods at lunchtime but like I said we only did this for a couple of weeks and then we actually moved on to more of a BLW approach (although not a pure BLW approach) because DD preferred self-feeding and having what we had. In the Annabel Karmel book it has meal planners and amounts of what to give so maybe it would be worth checking out?

Hope some of my ramblings have been helpful! Enjoy this stage! I loved introducing solids but hated all the chopping which is probably why we switched to BLW!!! Lazy mama that I am ::) ;d

*Nicola*

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:45:05 am »
im "new & learning the ropes" re solids too!!!my PHN told me to skip the baby rice & start with pear.we've a week done now & so far have introduced pear, butternut squash & sweet potato.i plan to do carrot next and then apple....i have the AK book..it's handy but i've decided to tweak things abit to begin with because she introduces new foods a little quicker than i would like to myself, just MHO though! it's very handy though as a reference point....not too sure how much my LO is actually swallowing!!!so hard to know!

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:10 am »
I too used the AK book as a guideline but with my LO she was very keen to eat and we introduced veggies (carrot and sweet potato) straight away. I think it's down to you knowing our baby, you can read if you are going too fast or slow. My LO made it pretty clear what she liked and didn't and if she wanted more or not. Go ahead I think while the going is good too. We had a sickness bug and now my LO will only eat baby rice. I am very slowly introducing new fruits and veggies again but it is tough compared to before.

Happy weaning!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 13:16:03 pm »
Hi there! I think your LO has reflux? If that's the case, I'd try to stick with the 3 day rule as much as possible because some foods can cause a reflux flare up and you'll want to be able to identify which ones to remove them from his diet.

I always introduce a new food in the morning for the first few days because if it causes a flare up, I'd rather deal with it during the day than at night  :-\ But it's not a 'rule' it's really up to you and your baby and what feels right to you. 

As for other cereals vs fruits and veggies, I don't think there's a rule, I think it's more up to you (and LO's taste!)

HTH

Good luck xxx
Elise

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:46:00 am »
Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for the feedback.  It's just nutty as to how much information there is out there with regards to feeding solid foods but I like hearing how others do it and from what I've read it seems like I'm on the right track.  I did cereal for a few days and he took to the thicker consistency fairly well and I've now introduced sweet potatoes which he scrunched his face at but ate it and then 2 days later I introduced squash which he ate but doesn't seem like he cares for.  I find that he eats his baby food better when it's mixed in with his cereal in the evening rather than when he eats it alone at lunch time.  I think he likes it thicker.

It's neat that 3 of you are using the AK book, I have her "More First Meals", is that the one you guys are using?  It's got a meal planner too.  Thanks for mentioning that I will go through it and see if it enlightens me, lol.

Since reflux was an issue (thanks for remembering Elise) I'm gonna take it a bit easy.  Even the two times he had squash on its own today he spat up a little bit (he didn't do that with the sweet potatoe) but when he had it mixed with his cereal no spit up.  Does this have anything to do with the fact that squash was a bit thinner in consistency on its own? Or could it just be a coincidence?

So far I've been doing about 1.5tbsp of cereal and 1tbsp of baby food in the morning, 2tbsp of baby food at lunch and then 2tbsp cereal and 1tbsp of baby food...does that sound ok or is it too much? I know formula is his main source of nutrition and he hasn't decreased any of his bottles. 

Scoops I hope the re-introduction goes smoother and your lo will get back to eating how they were eating before!

Anyways, now I'm after finding information on amounts to feed him lol...thanks again for all your help!

Offline Scoops2624

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 17:07:55 pm »
Thanks, my LO seems to have more appetite today so things are looking better!

Before she was sick I was feeding her about the quantities you describe, 2-3 table spoons on average with more cereal or baby rice that veggie /fruit if it was mixed. Sometimes she would woof the whole lot down and cry for more and sometimes she left a bit.

Can't commit on the reflux question I am afraid as I have no experience there, sorry.

I am using the AK meal planner but might invest in the more first meals now you mention it. :)

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 17:32:13 pm »
Even the two times he had squash on its own today he spat up a little bit (he didn't do that with the sweet potatoe) but when he had it mixed with his cereal no spit up.  Does this have anything to do with the fact that squash was a bit thinner in consistency on its own? Or could it just be a coincidence?

It could definitely be that it just has a thinner consistency. I think the most likely foods to cause issues for a refluxer are apples, and bananas.

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/introducing-solid-foods-to-a-baby-with-reflux.html

This is an interesting site with info about the intro of solids to a baby with reflux!

HTH
Elise

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 19:59:42 pm »
Hi!
You might want to check out this link.  It comes from a site I like a lot and consult a lot (from the American Academy of Pediatrics).

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx

Hope it helps!
Ana

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 03:14:17 am »
Glad to hear your lo is doing better scoops!

Thanks for the websites Elise and Ana...will definitely take a look at both of those and see what I can take from them.

Question...ds had a bottle at 113pm and he is fed every 4hrs which put his milk feed for 513 which would be his dinner time and his milk feed would be at bedtime around 645.  Now he was really hungry do I increase his dinner when this happens because I could tell he was probably still hungry after he ate but he could have also been tired too.  He would have to wait about 1hr 15mins before his bottle.  I can't offer him the bottle earlier because he falls asleep taking it and doesn't take it in communal areas in the home.  Anyways, any ideas on how to combat this issue would be welcome...Thanks for your time!