Author Topic: when did you start making baby food?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: July 15, 2012, 18:43:56 pm »
if you made your own baby food did you start before your baby was eating solids to get a supply going?
heather

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: when did you start making baby food?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 18:47:34 pm »
planner here and was going back to work or already back in work FT so I made the basic purees a week ahead at least and then kept them in a cycle....did a mix of BLW and purees with both - in Oscar's day it was more so called giving finger foods to play with during the meal....

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 19:04:56 pm »
i'm starting week 2 of giving solids...last week i had a cooking marathon & made 10-20oz of pear, apple, carrot, sweet potato & butternut squash!so handy just to be able to go to the freezer & pull out whatever!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 19:05:40 pm »
I waited until we started but I wish I had thought to plan ahead and have them stashed in the freezer.  If we ever have a third I'll totally be doing that!

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 19:17:31 pm »
I normally end up making it 2-3x a week and kind of mix and match from that. I think that you will end up building a supply no matter what b/c they just don't eat that much in the beginning. It's also much easier to do in bulk than to steam one carrot at a time :)

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 19:19:07 pm »
gogomama, i learned that the hard way!!!agree re building up a stock....my freezer has been emptied of normal adult food & is now full of EBM & mashed up fruit & veg!one way to stop me buting frozen pizza i guess!!!

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 20:03:42 pm »
I tried BLW with Austin and he would only do purees in the end. ::)  So I started when I figured that out!  Made food once or twice a week and froze it as well.  Grace never ate purees, which was so much easier!  ;)
*Kate*

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 03:08:18 am »
A little change of topic but did anyone ask there pedi about blw and what did they think about it?
heather

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 03:11:45 am »
Well, I never asked but I did tell and they were fine with it.  ;)
*Kate*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:41 am »
did anyone ask there pedi about blw and what did they think about it?
Not sure where you are but in the UK the advice is to introduce finger foods at 6 months even if puree weaning and some areas are now advising BLW rather than purees.

I didn't stock up on any foods prior to weaning because I was going the BLW route and didn't see that there was anything I could prepare in advance.  However, I had a very hungry little boy and was rushed off my feet with feeds the first month or so, felt like I was for ever preparing more food and feeding (45 min to an hour to eat a meal, took just about all of his A time just to get a meal and clean up),  Looking back I realised I could have prepared some things.  A small stash of home baked muffins, pancakes (with fruit or veg included) and little vegi or bean burgers would have been helpful especially for taking out and about.  When I made baked or steamed wedges of veg I made enough for us both to eat the same thing together as it's really helpful for them to see you eat too, and sometimes I made enough for the next day too.  I didn't make veg to freeze though.

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:23:44 am »
A small stash of home baked muffins, pancakes (with fruit or veg included) and little vegi or bean burgers would have been helpful especially for taking out and about.
my freezers still stocked with these, soups, sauces for pasta dishes etc etc. Actually the first time I ever froze was when I had a baby - apart from frozen peas, ice cream and the odd other frozen fruit or veg for smoothies...Oscar's ebm, purees etc were the firsts and that was closely followed by mini meatballs, muffins, pancakes etc etc and hasn't stopped since.

as for BLW - they're still not so much into it here - purees or "zupas" as they prefer to call them, are the way to go. With Emma, we did a lot more BLW in terms of her just sitting at the table with us for all meals (also helped that I wasn't back in work till 7.5mths compared to 4.5 with Oscar) and she had a big brother to copy which was a big plus too.

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!