Author Topic: A bit stuck!! Any ideas??  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Maxdrewe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: A bit stuck!! Any ideas??
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 20:04:29 pm »
I am managing to get him to eat about 3/4 piece of toast with cream cheese+ a bit of fruit if I am lucky and a fromage frais followed by a bottle at bedtime- I don't feel it is really enough but I will go with it. I have tried lumps of cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, bits of ham, omelette and all sorts but can only get him to eat the toast - he can't eat that every night- what do I do??
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 13:42:13 pm »
No, didnt puree it at 14 months! Asked as I think that puree is less filling than solids.

I think at the moment just keep offering. If all he eats is toast then don't fret. He is getting his dairy and some fruit in too. Olly has toast every day for breakfast as he won't eat cereal and I just live with it!

Could you try different toppings on the toast to introduce new flavours? Jam, PB, dairylea, hommous?

Offline Maxdrewe

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 15:04:01 pm »
Good thinking- I will try- don't purée all just things that are tricky- tending to just cut up now
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 21:33:16 pm »
Olly has a restriced diet anyway and was very fussy on top. He is getting better now thankfully.

I kept being told by my allergist/dietician that diets don't have to be hugely vaired. It is only very recently that we all eat foods from around the world and a different thing every night of the week. Caveman used to live off meat and what they could forage!

I used to stick with the things I knew he would eat and then try to add new things to that (like the toast suggestions above). Do';t make to much of the new thing and then it isn't so heart breaking when yu thow the whole lot away!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 10:01:56 am »
I wouldn't puree at all at this age.  Btw, sorry the broccoli and salmon recipe wasn't a huge hit!

Although, saying that I think there is some level of expectation issue.  Some days, my son eats loads and I mean more than I do.  Some days he has about 5 mouthfuls and that's enough.  Have faith, he won't starve.  If anything, kids are more in touch with their appetites than adults are; they eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full.  There's actually no problem with this.  You don't have to clean your plate, if anything, it's a bad habit to get into.  By this age, how much they eat in one day has very little impact on anything and doesn't seem to affect sleep.

Personally, I'd ease up, do as you're doing and start offering more foods you eat.  I've ditched giving cream cheese on toast or sandwiches because my son never ate it well and I twigged one day that is because it tastes of nothing!  My son likes strong flavours!  So be a bit brave, offer some different things, maybe he's just a bit bored?  My two year old's current favourite foods are prawns, mushrooms, mussels and pate!  Actually, give prawns a go, they look so cool being a nice coloure and they're great for little pincer grips!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Maxdrewe

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 11:55:00 am »
Unfortunatly when I give him new food he just picks it up and puts it on the floor- but we are making progress. I only cut up meat a bit finer as he finds it hard to chew.
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx