Author Topic: Milk Alternatives  (Read 5999 times)

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 10:13:28 am »
I have heard that it is not true about the arsenic in rice milk - although I guess there is no harm in avoiding it just in case. I have also heard that you shouldn't give soy to boys under 2 because of the phytoestrogens, but there are definitely people who say that isn't true either.

my pediatric nutritionist has said the same thing...that naturally occurring arsenic is different than the arsenic that we think of and you can't equate the two and she has no problems with allergic kid drinking rice milk.

i have to say that i LOVE hemp milk!  it has a nice fat level which makes me happy.  i give my DS a mix of rice and hemp milk, and i add in oat and almond just to mix it up.  also, coconut milk can have laxative qualities so if your DC has any issues with soft BMs just be careful (my DS cannot do coconut milk for that reason).

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Milk Alternatives
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 21:41:31 pm »
also, coconut milk can have laxative qualities so if your DC has any issues with soft BMs just be careful (my DS cannot do coconut milk for that reason).

OMG!  I wonder if that is what has been DD's issue!!!  I had no idea it had a laxative effect!  Come to think of it, I just made a smoothie for myself and I can say, yes, it does a touch!

Amazing what you can learn in this place!  Thanks Chicagomom!

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 00:55:51 am »
Haven't tried the coconut milk yet but DS already has 3 BMs a day! So...I did sorta solve the problem... DS just decides to randomly wake me up 2 times a nighttime breastfeed him. So he's still getting 4 sometimes 5 feeds a day!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 20:46:59 pm »
Hey Kara,
I live in AB. I found the So Delicious coconut milk at Superstore, but it's not the consistency of milk. It's in a container that's more like a yogurt container and it's more solid, like yogurt. It's not like the coconut milk you buy in a can for cooking, but it's definitely not like milk. Did I buy the right thing? Do you mix it with water? There's no way you could drink this. There were a whole bunch of soy and rice milks that were in milk like containers, but no coconut milk in a milk like container. Hope this makes sense!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 20:54:49 pm »
This is the one that we get - http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2781&prodid=3603&cid=470&afid=70&safid=AG&scid=14581&cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Comparisons-_-GoogleProducts-_-HBMVPCGP&of_tid=z-aiRk8JBFP2EFX8a3beyR7FftZdVmtA64AlnXGQFye-3kgs-8JpL8ytUzgygVOy. Not sure if you can get it in Canada, but this is the same consistency as regular milk and I don't notice the difference when I am using it in cooking etc.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 20:56:10 pm »
This might help you:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521081056AA1XKP2

Not sure if is the right area of Canada for you.

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 01:17:46 am »
Thanks Clazzat! I totally didn't buy the right thing. I saw coconut water - which I've had before and I don't think that's what I'd give a baby, but I didn't see any coconut milk. I think I bought cooking coconut milk. Oh well, I guess I'll to make curry or something. I thought Kara said she bought the so delicious brand and they have that at superstore and this is what I bought but it's definitely coconut milk for cooking. We do have T&T here and also a bunch of health food stores so maybe I'll try there.
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:48 am »
Not the right thing ;)  I get the So Delicious Coconut milk from Save On Foods - Superstore doesn't carry any coconut milk (except the stuff for cooking).

They will have it at most major health good type stores... are you in Edmonton or Calgary or a smaller city?

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 18:23:26 pm »
OK. I found it at Save On. I don't usually shop there but I made a specific trip and this coconut milk is so delicious! No pun intended. I would drink it myself except I think it has a billion calories in it. Anyways, Thanks for everyone's help!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 20:28:54 pm »
Less calories than cow's milk ;)

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 22:13:13 pm »
Less calories than cow's milk ;)

really? I don't drink milk, but maybe I'll start b/c this stuff is so good.
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 03:53:38 am »
Yup! Under 100 calories in a cup... cow's milk is about 160 if I recall correctly (for full fat)