Author Topic: how/when to add snacks/drop milkfeeds  (Read 1508 times)

Offline oliversmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:01:24 am »
My DS just turned 10 mos old; currently he takes 4 milkfeeds (3 BF, 1 BF+F) and 3 solid meals a day.  I'm unsure how our feeding routine should progress over the next few months.  (I'm a FTM.)  I've looked over the sample feeding routines for 10-12 month olds which is helpful but I still have a few questions . . .

When should I drop to 3 milkfeeds?  Or should I keep 4 and add snacks to the 2 middle feeds?  (and at what age do I add snacks?)  DS seems to nurse a little less at his 3rd milkfeed but is definitely interested in nursing 4x/day.  If I add snacks, do I offer them before or after nursing?

I'm going back to work in a little over 2 weeks and DS will be taking his two middle milkfeeds via bottle, so I'll have a better idea of his intake then. 

TIA for your help! :)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: how/when to add snacks/drop milkfeeds
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:57:05 am »
I don't think there is any "right" way to do it.

My SIL had a DD 9months older than my DS1 & I remember when they came to stay when DS1 was a month old (so 10mo)  & also when  she was 13mo (stayed 2 weeks because my DH was in hospital  & they were helping me out with DS)
My SIL was so "obsesesd" with her routine that I remember it even though it is 9 years later LOL. Solids with BF 30mins after (3 BF/day) with a small snack for Morning tea & afternoon tea. She did that until 12mo & then stopped BF... so for the 13mo visit it was "family meals with a sippy cup of milk with each meal/snack to make sure she had the amount of milk my SIL thought she should have spread across the daily feeds. My neice didn't ever have a bottle, went from BF to cup.

With DS1 I was more relaxed & also had to fit around the Daycare routine, so I pretty much did a morning & evening BF, he had some milk (EBF then later formula) after naps at Daycare ( he was still on 2 naps until 20months, by his choice) & then meals when it worked at daycare & at home. With DS2 I was giving him a sippy cup of EBM from about 8mo for his mid morning feed... worked with our life & he didn't ever have bottles & I kept that up until he stopped BF around 17mo. He still had a BF after his Nap until he "scorned" My breasts & choose to stop BFing.

I think the best way is to fit it around the naps & the routine for work as it fits best... be it 3 or 4 feeds it really isn't that big a deal if once the get past that 12mo mark they are having a good mix of solids & milk.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 21:31:24 pm »
Agree with Kate.  There's no right or wrong way.  We've not really added any snacks and DD is 19m!  If she indicates that she'd like something to eat, I give her something.

As for the BFs, I think we were still doing 4 at 10m, dropping down to 3 a while after that and have been on 2 for a good while now.  I think we dropped them just by a few days it not being convenient to do a BF at the normal time and she wasn't that bothered, so I didn't add it back in unless she specifically asked.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 22:09:18 pm »
Hi,

We dropped a BF at 10 months, the second at 11 months the third at 12 months etc. TBH I was on a strict diet myself due to Olly's allergies and although not keen to drop BFing I was relieved when we stopped at 14 months because of it.

It is really up to you if  you and your LO want reduce those feeds or not. There is no pressue to do so.

Offline oliversmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:57:37 am »
Thanks so much ladies for your replies!  Very helpful!  :)