Author Topic: Question regarding the solids and the EASY routine  (Read 1517 times)

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Question regarding the solids and the EASY routine
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:19:15 am »
Hey,
I've looked at the suggested routines for babies around 6-8 months. My LO is 5.5 months and we've started with some tastes few weeks ago (this is the recommendation here). I must say that he's taking it pretty good (also consider the fact that he has silent reflux and cow milk intolerance).
My question - I saw that the solids should be given about an 1-1.5 hour after the milk feed. But - not sure how hungry my LO is after 1-1.5 hour. If I try to do it 2 hours later it's a risk since he may be tired and not really wanting to cooperate with the feeding. So - what do you recomand?
He's on 4 hours EASY so I just find it odd that suddenly he needs to eat in less than 4 hours... He's BF so I can't really say how much he takes in each milk feed.
With DD1 and DD2 it was different - they switched the milk feed to full fruit meal and full vegeis and meat meal, so that had only 2 milk feeds at the age of 7-8 months. I undeerstand that it's better to keep the milk feed for longer time. Am I right?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Question regarding the solids and the EASY routine
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:28:42 am »
He's on 4 hours EASY so I just find it odd that suddenly he needs to eat in less than 4 hours
For a while I felt like I was constantly feeding, milk, solids, milk, solids, ALL day long.  It passes though.  I know it seems odd to feed more frequently than 4 hrs but the solids intake is so minimal at this early stage, just tastes really, that it doesn't really count as a meal.  It won't be the equivalent calories that milk offers so is unlikely to impact much or at all on the milk intake for a while.  In fact my LO took MORE milk when I introduced solids as he needed a milk feed directly after his solids as well as his regular milk feed!  That took me by surprise.

I would offer some solids 1 hr after milk feed, you can just offer once per day to begin with.  There's no rush, your LO is still under 6 months, here its recommended to wait until 6 months before starting any solids.
Yes you are correct that the milk feeds continue, reducing at/by 12 months.
Some countries also recommend vitamin drops from 6 months if LO is breast fed.  You might want to look into that.

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 13:12:03 pm »
thing is that when I tried giving him the solids right after he wake up he ate more. H'es willing to eat more than just tastes, and actually I'd like to drop the BF as soon as possible since I'm on non-dairy diet... I thought of maybe limit his milk feeding so that he'll eat more of the solids.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 13:51:45 pm »
You might find this page helpful
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67569.0
Milk really is the most important food for a long time yet and with the milk intolerance you wouldn't be replacing dropped bfs with dairy solids like yogurt and cheese.  It's vital they get enough milk and often people are seen to reduce the solids intake (if LO takes to solids really well and drops too much milk) to maintain a healthy milk intake.  If you are keen to drop the bf have you considered looking at alternative milk intake?
You could get some advice on the health board for help with intolerance.