Author Topic: Biting through the bottle teats  (Read 7806 times)

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
Biting through the bottle teats
« on: July 22, 2012, 19:00:38 pm »
 ::) Title says it all really  ::)

We're having to drop all bottles NOW because my little crocodile is biting a massive hole in the teat at every BT bottle  >:(

I've been giving him his daytime milk in a sippy, or out of a beaker with a plastic straw (he's bitten through his silicone straw as well  ::)) for the last 2 days and it's been hit or miss - he drinks best when still drowsy after being woken from his nap, but has refused any other milk today  :(

This would be ok if I could give him cheese / yoghurt etc but I can't because he's MPI  :'(

He's currently cutting his last tooth, so I'm hoping the biting will stop once that's through, but we can't be buying a new teat for every bottle he gets so it looks like milk is about to go off the menu  :'(

I know he'll survive, but he's not the world's best eater, and he won't make up the calories by eating more food - he's just never hungry. I do get coconut oil into him when I can, but he won't eat avocado or other high-fat alternatives  :(

I'll have to try to get his milk into him in other ways, but I'm not sure what to make with it that he'll eat - the foods he likes best are cakes, pancakes, muffins and that sort of thing, but they don't really use much milk in the recipe...

Aaaargggghhhhhhhh!!!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Biting through the bottle teats
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 21:36:33 pm »
I think that his age that milk is a drink rather then a food? Is he on a calcium supplement for his MPI? On the days Olly won't drink much milk (oat) I am reassured that he has his calcium, otherwise I am not worried by it TBH. Olly has his oat milk when he wakes and at BT but your LO could have it snack and lunch time instead for example?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:31 am »
If he takes a sippy, why not use a sippy for all milk?  You can get them with pretty hard spouts.  My son's been having a sippy for bedtime milk since he was 13 months.  I wasn't convinced he would take to it but he was fine.  It's recommended to drop bottles at a year if you can anyway and as he takes to a cup during the day, why not?

I just found this on here, might be useful:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=139773.0

Have you tried making some fishcakes?  If you use tinned fish with bones in you can actually mush up the bones too because they're soft (for the calcium) and the fish (especially if it's sardines, pilchards or salmon) will be full of lovely Omega 3 oils so high in good fat.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 21:30:03 pm »
Thanks ladies  :-*

So far, he's been managing a bit better with having milk from either the hard spout sippy or with a straw  :) We have moved his mid-morning milk back to breakfast time (as a drink). He won't eat cereal with milk (just like DH who prefers it dry  ::)) but will eat some dry then mash the rest around  ::)

The post-nap semi-awake sippy of milk goes down ok usually  ;)

At the BT sippy he's taking less than he used to from a bottle  :(

I don't give him any supplements, as the formula is fortified, and up until now he'd been taking 16oz per day. Now it's dropped to about 10-12oz. I don't know if this is ok or not  ???

WRT fishcakes, I could try, but he's being Mr Contrary and I can't tell when he's going to eat something or when he's going to refuse - there is no pattern to it. He was eating asparagus 2 weeks ago, then decided he wasn't, then ate it again tonight  :-\ He also had some yummy salmon  :D I suspect that fish bones would be spat out immediately, no matter how soft - he is very sensitive to texture  :( I know picky eating goes with the territory with toddlers and am not worrying, but do keep offering a variety of food. If all else fails there are always stage 2 pouches  :P

He has developed a liking for coconut water, which is great as it's all natural and full of potassium, so ideal to drink in this heatwave  :D

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 21:44:43 pm »
As I understand it up to 2 LOs should be getting at least half a pint of milk so 16oz was plenty and aroun 12 is still OK. I did read on babycentre that actually too much can inhibit their solids intake as milk can be filling.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:28 am »
Yeah, I think it's normal to reduce the amount of milk when they move from a bottle to a sippy because the bottle is kind of comforting so they're sucking for comfort not just for milk.  My son used to be really erratic, some days just an ounce but other days the whole cup.  I'm not sure if I've suggested this to you elsewhere on the boards but can you use some of the formula in cooking?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:26:56 pm »
can you use some of the formula in cooking?

I'm going to attempt scotch pancakes this weekend... The recipe doesn't call for a lot of milk, but they are his favourite food and the supermarkets aren't stocking dairy-free ones anymore so I'll have to make my own  :o Do you have any tips for freezing some? Or is it better to freeze the batter and cook them fresh?

He's still being totally variable on how much milk he'll take in a day  :-\

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 09:10:57 am »
No, I freeze them cooked.  Just use some non stick baking paper in between them so I layer them up in a plastic tub, put a layer of baking paper in between then a layer of pancakes etc, etc.  They separate with a bit of encouragement then even when frozen.

My recipe for them has a decent amount of milk, 300ml so it's some:

http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/pancakes-and-toys-returned-to-pram.html

Offline Hedgehog17

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:17:15 pm »
Thanks LT  :-*

The recipe I found makes 15 pancakes - no way can he eat all that even with help from me & DH  ;D

I will batch freeze as suggested  :)