Author Topic: What do you do?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
What do you do?
« on: July 23, 2012, 20:38:04 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place, so mods feel free to move!  :)

I have never had a child who would entertain themselves before so I have no idea what to do while they play happily by themselves! The girls would always insist on me being involved with whatever they were doing, or (their preference) reading stories, fetching things for them and carrying them around. Ds, on the other hand, is happy to potter by himself and does not demand that I am involved all the time - and I don't know what to do with my time! Housework only goes so far, and I am not much of a cook, and it doesn't feel right to just sit and read while he plays. Bw obviously fills in a bit of time too, but I still find myself at a bit of a loose end when he is playing by himself. So what do you do while your lo plays independently?

PS I'm not complaining, btw! It's great to not have to pretend to be interested while he hands me something and then asks for it back for an hour!  :P

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 20:40:48 pm »
I read a book, diddle about on the lap top, do a bit of work, get something prepared for tea... sometimes if she has been TOO quiet for TOO long I remember to go and look for her and see what trouble she's found (usually eating paper)

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 20:41:18 pm »
how very lovely  :D!  I think I would be doing some pottering in the garden, sorting out my photo albums, getting my sewing machine out...bliss!  (and how middle aged does that make me  ::) :D).  Enjoy x
Claire x

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 20:47:45 pm »
All I have to say is enjoy while it lasts - both mine have been like that in early toddlerhood - and they are certainly not like that now. As they developed they had greater emotional need iyswim??

Now, when they do get engrossed in something or other I simply sit nearby and enjoy  ;). I guess I always 'passed time' to a certain degree, as even when they were great at this it really was never worth starting something that needed a lot of concentration as even when they didn't need much they will still interrupt for something even now and again.

I got a lot of down time out of a tray of soil and cut grass, and a bucket of tractors. I sat and read magazines etc most of the time. Lovely. These days it is only a short matter of time before a tractor ends up round someones head  ::) ::) >:(.

Def gardening as well though. Cue the tractors again  ;), and a bucket!!!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 20:51:34 pm »
All I have to say is enjoy while it lasts
you have a luxury problem!!  i'm so jealous! hehe  i would just make a nice drink, sit and read.  take on a hobby perhaps?  crafty stuff is good, too.  Or photography?  he will not run away yet...

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21:56 am »
sounds like bliss clare - enjoy!! I would cook better meals, well actually cook rather than race about trying to put together something healthy at the last minute! I would also do a bit of cleaning which only seems to get done when they go to bed at night!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:48 am »
I drink tea while it is still HOT!!!!