Author Topic: Hi new here and i have an MSPI Baby... I NEED HELP!  (Read 1466 times)

Offline jpt5912

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi new here and i have an MSPI Baby... I NEED HELP!
« on: July 24, 2012, 17:28:41 pm »
Hi! Thanks for reading! My adorable Julien is going to be 11wks tomorrow. I am lactose intolerant as is his dad so we were braced for some type of issue with milk. When he started screaming and arching his back around 3 weeks, we thought reflux, because I already avoided milk (not milk ingredients just obvious cheese milk etc) so we followed the keep him up thing, burping often etc. Then he started with green mucousy poop and horrible gas. And it stunk! So the Dr said read labels for milk. I went home and researched and learned about MSPI. I was a soy drinker being lactose intolerant so I cut that out. The Dr made me feel crazy. When that made it better, but not completely gone I was feeling crazy. I have now avoided everything soy and dairy for about 2 wks and I see a big difference but I have a lot of frozen breast milk. Ive been giving it to him (he only get 4-8oz 2-3 times a week) and his poop has been orange and mucousy. He hasn't been overly fussy but i can tell it is bothering him. Do I throw it all out and start over? The milk I have is from the week before I started reading labels so there is minimal bad things in them. I also feel like I can't eat anything. My family already thinks I'm nuts for breastfeesing (first in my family to do this) now that I have to limit my diet so much I'm getting it even.worse! I need some support :(

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Hi new here and i have an MSPI Baby... I NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 18:57:38 pm »
I hate to say it but if he's MSPI and your milk has dairy/soy in it, he won't be able to tolerate it. If you know aother family who could use it who hasn't got dairy/soy issues that's one possible outlet for it, but otherwise.... sorry. :( I know, it's like liquid gold!  :'()

You're probably fine with all meats and pretty much all veg in your diet, along with most good fats, like coconut oil, olive oil, avocadoes, fish oil, and possibly even butter (although you want to be off dairy completely for a month to be sure - 2 weeks to clear your system and 2 more to clear his); butter often has so little milk proteins in it that it's OK for many who have to avoid most dairy, but better to clear it completely and then do a separate trial to be sure. But if he's so sensitive that the little you're giving him is affecting his poops that much, I'd avoid the dairy and soy utterly and completely.

Oh, and for family who give you grief, I found that asking them how much they spent on formula in a week, let alone a month or a year, often shut up a lot of people. ;D