Author Topic: Milk with solids?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline georgeo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Milk with solids?
« on: July 26, 2012, 19:29:44 pm »
Dd is 6.5 months and started solids 2 weeks ago. She is loving it and would happily have more than the 2 tsp I have been offering but I thought it would be best to stay small for the first bit.

I have two questions:
1) now that she has been in 2 tsp for a two weeks can I start letting her eat as much as she wants or should I hold back for a while longer? I was only thinking of doing it with pears and squash-foods she has already shown are fine for her and havent caused constipation. I've been I introducing a small amount of the new food at breakfast and then given 2 tsp of pears.

2) I'm sure I read in Bwsayp that Tracy suggested giving some milk after solids to wash it down. At least that's what I did with ds. Thing is I offer the breast after and sometimes she doesn't want anything but other times she wants to eat a fair bit. Is that ok or will I turn her into a smacker and make her want to eat more at night? She's currently eating about 3 times a night which I'm working on. I could offer a cup instead but the legistics of pumping enough with two little ones to do that isn't easy.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Milk with solids?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:22:53 am »
I just let my son have as much as he wanted from day 1.  Unless it gets ridiculous regulating their own appetite is part of this process.

I tended to offer water alongside food but do solids inbetween breastfeeds which also helped to gradually space out the breastfeeds (my son was a bit of a milk monster.)  I think the risk with doing solids at the same time as a breastfeed is due can result in it being refused completely.  Although solids will gradually reduce the milk intake it does need to be a gradual process.  I also found by doing this, for the first time ever we ended up with some kind of routine that did work.  My son was very resistant to being fed only on waking and we did a lot of extra feeds.  I realised much later that my son is just a hungry boy.  He will eat loads of solids now and drink milk all day if I let him.

Well done for keeping breastfeeding.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Milk with solids?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 13:54:13 pm »
Thanks. I should say she has a bf, then an hour later solids followed by some bf if she wants it. Do you think that's ok?