Author Topic: Holding out for the sweet stuff?!  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Mum of twins

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Holding out for the sweet stuff?!
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:33:22 am »
My twins are just over 11 months now. I started weaning at 5.5 months and they both took to it straight away and loved all fruits and veggies I gave them. For the last 3 months or so, one of them has become very picky. He will usually only eat about 6 or 7 mouthfuls and then refuses any more. But I know he is still hungry. I usually give them fruit or a yoghurt after their meal which he LOVES and I'm sure he would live off them if he could. Sometimes I wonder if he is holding out for his pudding? And what do I do about it? And sometimes I just think he is a really fussy eater and doesn't like anything I make him? Sometimes he will eat the whole meal and love it and then I could make him the same meal the next week and he would have a few spoonfuls?

So to sum up do I give him what he will eat for his dinner and not give him a pudding of he doesn't eat much? I just know he would be whingy the rest of the day as he will still be hungry! When would I give in and give him something to eat? The next mealtime?

The other twin on the other hand is fine and actually prefers his dinners to his puddings! They're total opposites :)

Thanks for your advice
Sarah xx
Sarah :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Holding out for the sweet stuff?!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »
Hi there, fussy eaters are a worry aren't they! Do you feel that he is full after a few mouthfuls of dinner and then his pudding? Fruit and yoghurts are a part of a healthy balanced diet IMHO and so I wouldn't hold them back if that is the case.

Offline Mum of twins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 13:10:02 pm »
Hiya,
Thanks for the reply :) I don't think he is full after his yoghurt/fruit. He would eat maybe 3 yoghurts after his meal if he hasn't had enough and still act hungry. I don't like seeing him hungry but I also don't want to get into the habit of going into the kitchen to make different things if he hasn't ate much dinner. I think this may encourage him further to be a fussy eater? He is gaining weight fine I just don't want to fill him up on sweet things! He's also not a fan of finger foods. He just tends to throw most of them and cry until I bring something on a spoon! Eat a few mouthfuls and cry for something else. It can be quite frustrating! He's a little monkey!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 13:28:57 pm »
He is still very young! It is great that he has a twin who he can watch and that gobbles up so much!

I would offer some fruit and a yoghurt. What you would do normally. I wouldn't go over board with it to fill him up otherwise you really will be going down that route of him holding out.

Offline Mum of twins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 20:06:02 pm »
Ok thanks for the advice. I will carry on giving him what he will eat of his dinner and just give him a 'normal' sized pudding. Funnily enough, today he has ate like a champ!