Author Topic: Skin prick test results - 1x1 Milk allergy? Asthma...  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Sweetpeajanet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Skin prick test results - 1x1 Milk allergy? Asthma...
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:14:10 am »
Hello,

We recently did an allergy test as my son is allergic to tree nuts. As part of the testing, cow's milk came out with a 1x1 result. The doctor told me to put him on soy milk. But that cheese should be ok. He has a lot of night coughing in the early hours of the morning which would indicate asthma. I put him on soy milk and we still have some coughing, although we aren't completely dairy free. He still has cheese and cakes etc.

I'm wondering if dust mite allergy might be more likely to be the cause (9x4)? Does 1x1 indicate an intolerance? I'm so confused! When he had icecream he would cough straight away, could that be from the coldness of it or a direct reaction to the dairy?

Any ideas would be great. It is doing my head in trying to figure this all out. Thanks

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Skin prick test results - 1x1 Milk allergy? Asthma...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:34 am »
Not sure what those results mean. In the UK they measure the size if the 'hive' that is caused by the reaction. Ie olly had a 9mm hive to egg white and a 3mm to dairy. 3mm is borderline but they decided not to trial at this time.

I would have thought if 1x1 does show a true allergy it would be wise to eliminate all dairy and then add hidden dairy in slowly.

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Skin prick test results - 1x1 Milk allergy? Asthma...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
There is no medical test for intolerances. If  SPT indicated a positive, and you've seen a reaction when he's had dairy, then you should avoid ALL sources of dairy. Coughing might be asthma,and is often seen in kids with food allergies, but is separate from the food allergy. Dust mite definitely might be the culprit. Have you mentioned the coughing to your allergist? And the coughing he had after the ice cream, was it at all like him having a hard time breathing? Any other reactions, like hives, swelling around mouth, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea?

Gtg, sorry post later!