Author Topic: After 12 months and baby still refuses finger foods and sippy cup  (Read 1893 times)

Offline scharron

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I'm hoping to get some advice about my 14 month old son.  He vehemently refuses finger foods and sippy cup.  Never had any trouble introducing these to my first born.   I've been trying since he was 7 months and still he pushes the finger foods away, gags,  and takes the food out of his mouth whenever I try popping in a piece.  Whenever he sees the sippy (and I've tried many different kinds) he cries, and pushes it away.  He will only drink from his bottle.

Any suggestions on how I can further approach my son with eating the food and accepting the sippy. 

Please help!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 14:11:55 pm by scharron »

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: After 12 months and baby still refuses finger foods and sippy cup
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 21:35:35 pm »
Following this post too!  Have trouble getting my son to drink anything but formula milk from a bottle and struggling with a bit of constipation!  Water would help but won't take it from bottle and I'm scared that if I force the issue it will create fear of the bottle even with milk and he's only 6 months old!  Will look on with interest!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 21:47:09 pm »
Hi, I have asked around the other moderators and tongue tie was brought up - would this be a possibility for your son?

So, he only eats pureed foods? How is he with lumps?

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:34:55 am »
Oh poor you. That must be very frustrating for you.

My DD wasn't interested in a sippy cup but did learn how to use a straw and will now take a sippy with water if necessary.

As for the finger foods - I guess you've tried everything!! But my one thought was have you tried giving them to him not at meal times? Rather as a little snack. So he's less hungry and there's less 'pressure' to eat.

You say you've got an older LO - my two love carpet picnics (or garden ones when it's not raining!); strawberries, blueberries, bits of cheese, ripe mango, oat and banana bars, corn snacks, are all favourites here and (particularly if we're in the garden) they both wander around while they're eating.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:16:27 am »
Does he have any other medical issues from when he a baby? was he preemie, or did he have any hospitalisations, history of reflux? Is he 'touchy' on the baby whisperer personality test? Does he like getting his fingers dirty?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline scharron

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 14:39:10 pm »
Hi thank you so much for your responses.
@ RachandHarry: Hope everything works out. Your baby is still so small and too early to tell if this might be an issues later on. Keep trying consistently with different types of sippys.  For the constipation...maybe try a formula with a little less iron.  I know it helped my little guy.

@ Buntybear: He's not tongue tied.  The lumps from the pureed food goes down but he gags whenever I try to feed him finger foods such as cereal puffs, steamed vegetables,etc... He won't even try to feed himself.  I can't be certain if he has a gag reflex problem or he's just a really fussy eater.  It's why I'm searching for ideas on how to present these foods to him in ways that will interest him.  He has an appointment soon with his DR. and I will discuss his gagging issues.  I'm leaning more towards him being fussy though because he won't drink out of any sippy either.

@ squeakersmum: thank you for your suggestions and yes it is frustrating lol! I tried using a straw, he just looks at it (like all other sippys) and pushes it away. I've tried feeding him snacks at various times of the day. I love your picnic idea but my oldest is now 17 yrs old lol! Not sure if he'd agree to do it.

@ amayzie: No medical issues.  I will try the personality test...I'm new to the site and wasn't aware of it. Thank you!

Again, thank you all for your responses and please keep letting me know what you think and ideas on how I can get him to feed himself.
`
Keep you all posted!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 23:48:13 pm »
Have you tried one of those mesh feeders? It allows you to put food pieces inside and LO sucks on it and gets the flavor without the chunks/pieces that cause gagging. Might get him a bit more interested in trying things if he can at least taste them to start??

Can you use some of his fave purees to entice him to try some more things....like as a spread on toast or a sauce on steamed veggies?

If you are trying mushier/softer foods so he gets used to them and he perhaps does not like the texture/sensation or getting dirty aspect....maybe try rolling those foods in something to coat, like crushed up cereal or breadcrumbs or something so it is a bit "drier" an feels less messy?