Author Topic: Loose mucus stools, should I be worried?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:59:52 pm »
Hiya, just want to get a bit of advise/reassurance/btdt from you lovely ladies

My lo is soy/cows milk free because it gives him echzema. He is also (mostly) gluten free because both my mother and I are gluten intolerant. I'm not too strict on the gluten because he doesn't seem to have any symptoms yet, but both my mother and I didn't have symptoms until in our 20's. Sometimes he'll have a bit of my DP's toast or something but no more than once a week.

Anyway his stools are quite often pretty loose, not quite diareaoh, but not solid either and today's offering had mucus in it. Do you think I should be worried? He's still BF a couple of times a day and I must admit I do eat the odd bit of cheese or the occasional soy latte, but his echzema is under control so I figured a little wouldn't hurt. Maybe I need to be stricter. I could take him to the doctor, but she wasn't much help with the echzema, so I'd like to have a bit more to go on if I need to go back to her (she has a habit of making feel small!)

Thanks for looking anyway!

x
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Loose mucus stools, should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 13:03:11 pm »
Mucous could be a sign of the MPI - have you had any dairy or soy in the last couple of days? If not then it could be teething or a cold?

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 13:19:12 pm »
I did have cheese on (GF) toast yesterday, and come to think of it, he ate a bit when I was preparing it. Not noticed mucus before tho, but it did make me think about the looseness of his poo in general. I always figure a little wont hurt ...  Maybe need to rethink that idea, :( Will be strict and see if his poo gets better/firmer.

Thanks buntybear
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 13:26:08 pm »
I think that is your culprit hun. Too much of a conincidence no?

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 13:38:48 pm »
Does look that way :( just never noticed mucus before. Could his sensitivity be getting worse as he gets older? He's clearly inherited my rubbish intestines, poor lad.
I just saw on your post on another thread that goat milk is a problem with MPI too, could it be that goats milk upsets his gut but not his skin? His only symptom that I've noticed has been the eczema up to now... but he was a very sicky/windy baby, come to think of it... And loads of NW until 9 mo or so.

Is it worth pushing my dr for a MPI test? What would it involve? I'd never heard of it until I started using this forum, do you (or anyone else) know how hard it is to get a diagnosis in the UK?

Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 13:58:52 pm »
There isn't a test for MPI on the NHS. You can get scratch tests for a true allergy though. Need your GP on board to get you transferred though. The only way to diagnose MSPI is to eliminate it completely until symptom free and then re-introduce watching for symptoms.

Not sure on the symptoms being different for goat and cow's milk reactions.

Out of interest what milk do you use for your LO now?

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 14:18:18 pm »
he's BF mostly but we sometimes substitute with goats milk. My supply dropped recently so we've been relying on goat milk more and more recently, especially for the first (early) am feed, with a view to completely weaning by 18mo. He also drinks oat milk and rice milk (tho not too often) but they are just fluids rather than a direct BM substitute.
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 16:01:43 pm »
Do you notice a reaction to the goats milk?