Author Topic: help me fatten up my 12 month old!  (Read 3380 times)

Offline fireredjewel

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
help me fatten up my 12 month old!
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:46:43 am »
Hi... again...
it's been a while (thank goodness!) since i've been here, but i have a slight conundrum.

My DD2 is just shy of 13months, and is Milk Protein Intolerant (weaning her from BF to neocate ATM). Her weight gain is pretty slow; she's dropped from the 75th to 50th percentile for weight, yet is up in the 90th for height still. She is super super active (also known as the energiser bunny in our house), the pediatrician is not concerned...BUT she is hungry ALL the time (it seems!).
  I'm wondering if anyone has any good recipes that can help her hold onto that energy for longer/put on a bit more weight!

thanks... :-)
ali
two beautiful girls... a heritage from the lord. psalm 127:3

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: help me fatten up my 12 month old!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:40:16 am »
Coconut milk and coconut oil. Dark meat chicken. Avocadoes and olive oil.

That's just for starters. Wait till you can cook veggies in bacon fat. (Get good bacon, though, the kind without nitrates.)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:21 am »
^^^What she said!

If there are no issues with nut butters (peanut, almond, etc.) or you're not afraid of an allergy and want to try, those are also pretty good. You can also do smoothies (if yogurt based you can use coconut or almond yogurt). My DS doesn't really go for them but your LO might.

We are also on neocate and have been since he was 5 or 6 months old. GI switched us to neocate Jr. as it has more calories per serving. Are you on that? It's the same stuff, though does come in flavors...however my DS hated the vanilla so I just got him the plain unflavored stuff (for use in tube feeding LOL) and he likes it fine. I also JUST found out they have a sort of "juice" which is neocate Splash that comes in 8 oz. juice box servings. She said I could order him some of them as well (which will be nice to take with us when out and about and look more similar to what other kids are having as he tries to always grab for their stuff..."Juice!" *sigh*)

:)

Offline fireredjewel

• BW Devotee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 22:29:31 pm »
fry in bacon fat! LOL! that's awesome. I'll definitely try coconut oil/milk (although i won't be eating it as it's not a friend of my low FODMAP diet). Nut butters - we won't be having peanuts as i'm anaphylactic to peanuts, but i'm pretty sure she's had almond meal already. :p

we're on neocate advance (12m+), the vanilla flavour as she HATES the normal flavour.
thanks for your help... and keep the ideas coming, i really appreciate extra brains on this. :-)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 23:08:18 pm »
ut butters - we won't be having peanuts as i'm anaphylactic to peanuts, but i'm pretty sure she's had almond meal already. :p

Yikes!

Just thought...pancakes, muffins, and meatballs/loaves are some other things that are very forgiving if you alter ingredients and add things, like avocado, etc. I imagine you could even use some formula mix as an ingredient in pancakes or muffins or oatmeal for some extra calories, but don't quote me on that ;)

Offline fireredjewel

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 22:36:22 pm »
i found some 'free nut' butter (which DH thinks is hilarious for some reason...), made from sunflower seeds. DD2 loves it... high in calories right?

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 22:49:15 pm »
Quinoa- you can buy quinoa flakes and use as a breakfast cereal, or just plain quinoa for lunch/dinner mixed with a favourite sauce. Very good source of protein, filling, and so healthy.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:28 am »
MEAT!  Things from animal sources tend to be pretty high in calories. How about some stewed, barbecued or roasted pork belly?  Eggs would also be good.

If the doc is ok though I wouldn't worry too much.  Some people are just tall and thin (and we're all jealous of them!)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline fireredjewel

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:04:52 am »
Oh i wish she would eat meat - both of my girls aren't huge fans! Egg seems to make her gassy as well, although I haven't tried it for a while (although she copes just fine with it in baking).
Yes... she is most likely to be tall and thin as Both DH & I are exactly that... as is her older sister... haha she will never be able to find pants!

Day 4 of fattening up is going well, i'm adding in carbs wherever I can (quinoa & millet to spoon food that we shovel in around the finger food as she gets pretty darn distracted at mealtimes). She gobbled up the apple mini muffins with soy milk & coconut oil in them. win!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:47:46 am »
Great!