Author Topic: 11 week old refusing bottles  (Read 1245 times)

Offline madscientist

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 01, 2012, 16:56:46 pm »
We started giving our baby 1 bottle a day when he was 4 weeks old. Suddenly at 10 weeks he started fussing  a great deal during bottle feedings and would only drink 1 oz at a time. I typically leave the room so he doesn't see me during feedings, and we have great bottles that reduce colic etc..I don't know why suddenly he won't feed as well from them. As a response I increased the bottle feedings to 2 a day and have been persistent about it. After a huge fuss he'll take the bottle. help! I will be starting work in 4 weeks and will need my husband to frequently bottle feed him while I'm gone.

Should we try glass bottles (maybe the plastic taste..)? should we increase the nipple size (on the website they say 3+ months to the next level nipple. I feel like he's getting a fast flow of milk from this size)? I'm a new mom and have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 11 week old refusing bottles
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:23 am »
Bumping this for more eyes.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 11 week old refusing bottles
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:33 am »
Am I right that you are mainly breastfeeding? Maybe he prefers that, cuddling up to you? Is he having EBM or formula in the bottle?

He may be finding the bottle is slow/fast compared with the breast.

What if your DH tried skin to skin with LO while feeding the bottle?

How is he feeding otherwise? Happy and feeding well? Just wondering if he's refusing feeds in general or just the bottle - could be reflux or something similar at play.