Author Topic: Introducing finger foods  (Read 1505 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Introducing finger foods
« on: August 01, 2012, 19:18:15 pm »
We are very limited for finger foods because DS has FPIES allergies and does not tolerate many foods. Currently our only safe food is pears and I have found a snack of 100% dried pears. It melts quite fast altough not as fast as let's say some mum-mums.  When I give it to him, he seems to always cough / choke when swallowing. I don't remember from DD is this is normal or not? Since he has so many issues (reflux, allergies) I'm kind of wary and want to avoid anything that could further complicated his already complicated relationship with food.
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Introducing finger foods
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 16:44:57 pm »
So he is sucking juices out of it or is he choking on actual bits of solids going down? If it is solids lumps going down I think this is fairly normal TBH.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 19:30:24 pm »
Yes I think it's lumps. I'll give him a chance to adapt to it then.

Thanks! :)
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 19:41:41 pm »
Olly never really choked but I have seen on the BLW thread and can be common and in fact 'normal'

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 22:21:14 pm »
Hey, I know this thread is a week old now but I've just seen it.
Want to clarify, choking and gagging are two different things. choking is a block or partial block of the airway, is not normal and highly dangerous.  First aid would need to be given immediately to remove the obstruction.
Gagging on the other hand is normal and does not obstruct the airway.  LO's gag reflex is further forward than an adult's which is very handy when learning to eat.  A gag shows that Lo is handling the food in the way that is expected, ie they are bringing it back to the front of their mouth to chew/gum/suck on again prior to swallowing.  They can also sometimes swallow pieces that are too big (also not choking) and this can be brought back up almost like a vomit (but not real vomiting as it hasn't reached the stomach).  LO is generally not bothered by either the gag or the hacking up of large pieces and may even pick up the same piece to re-eat (yuck!) where as choking will show immediate alarm in their face as they struggle to breath.

At that age and with his limited experience of solid food I would ensure that finger foods are big enough for him to hold in his hand (size of an adult finger as a gauge).  I don't know how big dried pear is.  You could also make some baked pear wedges (quarter and core, lay on baking tray pop in oven, check with a fork to see if they have softened) which are great finger food.  Baked wedges (apple, pear) have a nice dry outside which is easy for LO to grip, whilst the inside is quite soft and easily gummed.  They transport pretty well for snacking out and about too, not as messy as some foods.
If he continually has a gag, cough or difficulty with any one food type I would probably give it a miss for a while.  As example my DS could eat almost anything from 6 months but always struggled with dried apricot, it wasn't a one off gag but repeated gags and struggles which didn't look comfortable.  I avoided dried apricots until 12 months and still rarely offer them unless they are cooked in a muffin.

hth a bit Elise.  And hope your little man has a positive experience with his solids v soon xx

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 00:35:53 am »
Thanks Creations. You're right, gagging is the right word. English is not my first language :)

I ended up stopping the dried pears because it was more of a negative experience for him and I didn't want that anyway. Looking forward to starting soon with a new food (I hope!) so that he can practice eating on his own!
Elise

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:28:45 am »
You're right, gagging is the right word. English is not my first language
A lot of people say choke when they mean gag, even when English is their only language.  Don't worry about it - and your English is GREAT!

I would try the baked wedges, or even steamed.  Steamed are more slippery to pick up but would still give him something to explore in terms of finger food, texture and practice of eating. xx